Dear Howard...and/or other sound guys...

bigalfan

I know you're working hard - appreciate all you do - but please, back the volume knobs off just a tad bit...say maybe to a 8.75 instead of an 11 for this tour. Saw 'The Wall' over the summer, it sounded GREAT! The key? They backed off the LOUD factor just a tad. Proof positive you don't HAVE to be at an 11 for an arena concert, as a matter of fact, it's preferable. So, please...please...know when to say when with the volume. That is all. Thank you for your time...not that you'll ever see this, but it feels good just to say it.

QUOTE (bigalfan @ Aug 27 2012, 02:26 PM)
I know you're working hard - appreciate all you do - but please, back the volume knobs off just a tad bit...say maybe to a 8.75 instead of an 11 for this tour. Saw 'The Wall' over the summer, it sounded GREAT! The key? They backed off the LOUD factor just a tad. Proof positive you don't HAVE to be at an 11 for an arena concert, as a matter of fact, it's preferable. So, please...please...know when to say when with the volume. That is all. Thank you for your time...not that you'll ever see this, but it feels good just to say it.

Howard does the lights FYI trink39.gif

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Aug 27 2012, 02:30 PM)

Howard does the lights FYI trink39.gif

...and the bartending, and is just an all around good guy!

He certainly might be. Only 'name' I could come up with ...again, like ANYONE from on the stage or behind the stage reads The Rush Forum... wink.gif My wife actually wants to go this time around, I'm hoping since the strings are going to be a part of the deal - she won't be too audiassaulted.

QUOTE (pfrushfan0122 @ Aug 27 2012, 02:49 PM)
Are Rush concerts really that loud? I've never been to one, and the only other concert that I've attend was 'Roger Waters: The Wall' at Citizen's Bank Park in Philly. That wasn't too bad....

Huh? what did you say?

Yes, they certainly can be (LOUD). I do have two sets of Hearos thanks to a thread from on TRF from a few years ago.

Lowering the sound would be a good idea. I tried wearing earplugs to the show last year but I had to take them out after a few songs. I could barely hear Alex's guitar. I've been reading about Hearos Rock'n'Roll earplugs which I may get before the show. Supposedly they don't muffle the sound; instead they reduce the sound. Loud concerts don't bother me but I'd rather not lose my hearing. Edited by ColdFireYYZ

QUOTE (bigalfan @ Aug 27 2012, 03:26 PM)

+1 on the Roger Waters comment. AWESOME sound and great show. The Rush crew could learn from that example.

2.gif

Edited by drgrendel

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Aug 27 2012, 03:39 PM)
Lowering the sound would be a good idea. I tried wearing earplugs to the show last year but I had to take them out after a few songs. I could barely hear Alex's guitar. I've been reading about Hearos Rock'n'Roll earplugs which I may get before the show. Supposedly they don't muffle the sound; instead they reduce the sound. Loud concerts don't bother me but I'd rather not lose my hearing.

This would be counterproductive to maintaining the wall of sound. Shame on you.

QUOTE (dayglow76 @ Aug 28 2012, 12:01 AM)
Really? Not from where i was sitting(right behind the sound board) TM was the worst sounding Rush show I ever saw. It was a muddy mess and Neil's fills just got lost in the mud.

I saw them in 2010 at Mohegan Sun in CT. That arena is known for bad sound but it was extremely muddy and the bass was way too loud. I was sitting in the back. I saw them last year at MSG and I was close to the front. The sound was much better and clearer. I have no other tours to compare the shows to since I haven't seen them before but my first show didn't sound good at all.

I left my show from TMT completely deaf. Hell, during the intermission, I remember SCREAMING at the lady behind the counter for a water. Of course I didn't mean to be so loud tongue.gif

I may invest in some Hearos or something similar for this tour, just in case

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Aug 27 2012, 11:10 PM)
I left my show from TMT completely deaf. Hell, during the intermission, I remember SCREAMING at the lady behind the counter for a water. Of course I didn't mean to be so loud tongue.gif

I may invest in some Hearos or something similar for this tour, just in case

yes.gif

A real good investment to protect your hearing! I purchased some recently for the upcoming tour and I'm wearing them now when I listen to the CA CD so I'm used to them before the actual shows. Makes for a cleaner sound as noted in previous posts....

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

cheer.gif

I have the Hearos (ETY? Something like that) and I disagree that they make things clearer. They filter out more highs than lows, resulting in less bright of a sound. That is probably good for hearing protection, but it doesn't make the show sound any better, imho.

The TM show was "quiet" enough that I actually took my earplugs out because with them in, I didn't even feel like I was at a concert. Volume levels btw will differ somewhat from venue to venue I would expect, within the same tour.

Depending on placement and number of house speakers, the loudspeakers usually hung on either side of the stage rigging, every venue has hotspots--seating areas where you'll get blasted.

I've sat 5th row center at Irvine and not had to wear ear protection--could hear and feel the drums live, (not through mix).

16th row center-right at Nokia Live, directly in front of the the loudspeaker array, and it was awful.

It's hard to mix perfectly for every single seat. If you're eye level with the loudspeakers and directly in front of them in a smaller theater-type venue, protect your ears.