ANOTHER school shooting this morning...

ALifeson85

and this time, right near MY neck of the woods. 15-year-old shot a 17-year-old student in the back, in the school's cafeteria. WTF is going on with these shootings??? wacko.gif

Here's the article:

17-Year-Old Student Shot At Perry Hall High School

Here's the suspect's Facebook page. Notice his last post: "First day of school, last day of my life..." Wow. fing.gif

Facebook page of the suspect, Bobby Gladden

Unreal.

QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Aug 27 2012, 02:34 PM)
and this time, right near MY neck of the woods. 15-year-old shot a 17-year-old student in the back, in the school's cafeteria. WTF is going on with these shootings??? wacko.gif

Here's the article:

Here's the suspect's Facebook page. Notice his last post: "First day of school, last day of my life..." Wow. fing.gif

Unreal.

Report is that the kid was heavily bullied and that the other kids were throwing things at him when he left the room and came back with a gun. Not that I condone that kind of response but as a person who had problems with being bullied when I was young I understand.

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Aug 27 2012, 03:01 PM)
and this time, right near MY neck of the woods. 15-year-old shot a 17-year-old student in the back, in the school's cafeteria. WTF is going on with these shootings???  wacko.gif

Here's the article:

Here's the suspect's Facebook page. Notice his last post: "First day of school, last day of my life..." Wow.  fing.gif

Unreal.

Report is that the kid was heavily bullied and that the other kids were throwing things at him when he left the room and came back with a gun. Not that I condone that kind of response but as a person who had problems with being bullied when I was young I understand.

I just read that, too. I agree - I used to be screwed with in school. Got into a couple fights, but never anything NEAR the extreme of shooting up the place... fing.gif

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Aug 27 2012, 03:01 PM)
and this time, right near MY neck of the woods. 15-year-old shot a 17-year-old student in the back, in the school's cafeteria. WTF is going on with these shootings???  wacko.gif

Here's the article:

Here's the suspect's Facebook page. Notice his last post: "First day of school, last day of my life..." Wow.  fing.gif

Unreal.

I don't think anyone would actually condone or promote the use of guns to combat bullies. However, when schools and parents aren't doing anything about the bullies, I can also see some victims getting guns and taking care of the bullies themselves....and I wouldn't feel too sorry for the bullies.

It's a de facto warning to the bullies - if you keep bullying people, then sooner or later, one of your victims PROBABLY WILL get a gun and shoot your sorry ass. So, you had better STOP doing it.

Personally, I'm all for identifying and helping those kids are are getting traumatized by bullies, but even more so, I'm in favor of identifying and PUNISHING the bullies. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that too much time and energy is spent on helping kids deal with bullying, with not enough time being spent on holding the bullies accountable.

Jesus. That Facebook update is pretty creepy.

I'm very sad to see that he's a Rammstein fan too; they got partially blamed for the Columbine shootings in 1999, and they'll probably get blamed for it again this time around. sad.gif

On a brighter note, this is my 1,000th post cool.gif

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Aug 27 2012, 01:01 PM)

Here's the article:

Unreal.

Unfortunately I can see someone who has been bullied losing it and doing just this type of thing. I watched my son get bullied all the while trying to teach him not to retaliate, let the teachers, principal, etc. handle it. Too bad no one really stepped in to help him. Now as a freshman in high school he will not let anyone mess with him. I actually had to put him in a different high school because I knew the kids that had bullied him when he was younger were going to get their asses kicked if he went to the same school.

Until we figure out the correct way to deal with the bullying situation and step in to help those being bullied, I fear you will see a lot more of these types of shootings.

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Aug 27 2012, 03:22 PM)
I could be wrong, but it seems to me that too much time and energy is spent on helping kids deal with bullying, with not enough time being spent on holding the bullies accountable.

No, you're not wrong. But we live in a "victim is to blame" society in ALL areas, not just kids being bullied. I'm leaving at that to avoid political discussion.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Aug 28 2012, 09:51 AM)
QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Aug 27 2012, 03:22 PM)
I could be wrong, but it seems to me that too much time and energy is spent on helping kids deal with bullying, with not enough time being spent on holding the bullies accountable.

No, you're not wrong. But we live in a "victim is to blame" society in ALL areas, not just kids being bullied. I'm leaving at that to avoid political discussion.

I don't think it's so much victim-blaming as it is the fear of confronting the bullies and telling them that what they're doing is WRONG. Cowardly school personnel talk about students making "bad choices", doing "inappropriate" things, etc. They're afraid of hurting the kids' feelings, so they take the meek and passive route...... new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif