Name the most annoying and incompetent actors

treeduck

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 24 2012, 07:41 PM)
How did I know before I even opened this thread that it would be filled with tons of talented actors and actresses. sarcasm.gif

I'm not saying everyone mentioned is top notch, but some are really great. People sure love to hate.

Being a talented actor does not give one immunity from being annoying, obnoxious, or even from having bad performances. Same goes for rock bands, yes? Loads of talent, but they make the occasional bomb....

Every actor mentioned in this thread could be greatly talented AND be annoying and bad at times. It is NOT an all-or-nothing argument. It's not about "hating"...... no.gif

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Aug 25 2012, 09:16 AM)
Being a talented actor does not give one immunity from being annoying, obnoxious, or even from having bad performances. Same goes for rock bands, yes? Loads of talent, but they make the occasional bomb....

Great. Now this is going to turn into another Vapor Trails hatefest. The elements are certainly all in place. (OK, element) smile.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 25 2012, 10:54 AM)
QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Aug 25 2012, 07:47 AM)
Leonardo DiCaprio.

facepalm.gif

People give this guy a bad rap because of Titanic. He was great in that. No, the dialogue wasn't always, or even often that good, but that didn't mean he didn't do a great job with what he had to work with.

Even so, take Titanic out of the picture and you still have:

Inception

Gangs of New York

The Aviator

Revolutionary Road

Catch Me If You Can

The Basketball Diaries

What's Eating Gilbert Grape

Blood Diamond

And there are other movies that weren't necessarily as great, like The Beach or The Departed, that still had great acting from him.

I'm sorry, but Leonardo DiCaprio can ACT.

I disagree with every fibre of my being. I haven't seen all of Leonardo DiCaprio's movies but I've never seen a single one in which he suspended my disbelief. When I see him in a film, I am always painfully aware of the fact that I'm watching LEONARDO DICAPRIO pretend to be this thing or that thing. "Oh, look, it's Leonardo DiCaprio pretending to be Jim Carroll! Oh, look, it's Leonardo DiCaprio trapped in a layers of dreamworlds! Oh, look, it's Leonardo DiCaprio pretending to be J Edgar Hoover!"

I don't hate him, I'm just never able to believe in any of his performances.

Shia LaBeouf - I'm so sick of his arrogant foot in mouth disease.

the Twilight youngsters, save Anna Kendrick and Dakota Fanning

Angelina Jolie

Ashton Kutcher

Johnny Depp - Has become such a pathetic sell out since POTC.

Anne Hathaway - Used to like her but has annoyed me with her post Rachel Getting Married movies.

Dane Cook

Scarlett Johansson/Jessica Alba - Sorry AW. They're eye candy but have limited range. SJ's consistent monotone delivery irritates me.

all the Kartrashians

Tom Cruise - Gained respect for him back with Tropic Thunder but since the divorce, he's back on the list.

Adam Sandler - Haven't enjoyed a full throttle comedy of his since Anger Management

Russell Brand

Charlie Sheen

Edited by invisible airwave

QUOTE (vital signz @ Aug 25 2012, 08:49 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 25 2012, 02:34 AM)
Actors mentioned in this thread that have had stellar performances:

Nicolas Cage - Adaptation, Leaving Las Vegas, Raising Arizona, Moonstruck, etc.

Mark Wahlberg - Boogie Nights, The Fighter

Ewan McGregor - Trainspotting, Emma, etc.

Russel Brand - Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Topher Grace - That 70's Show

Ben Affleck - Good Will Hunting, Shakespeare in Love, Dazed & Confused, etc.

Adrien Brody - The Pianist, The Village, etc.

Tom Cruise - A Few Good Men, Born on the Fourth of July, Risky Business, The Color of Money, Rain Man, Jerry Maguire, Minority Report, Vanilla Sky, etc.

Anne Hathaway - The Devil Wears Prada, Brokeback Mountain, Becoming Jane

Jack Black - High Fidelity, School of Rock

Jennifer Anniston - Friends, The Good Girl

Hayden Christensen - Shattered Glass

Orlando Bloom - The Lord of the Rings trilogy

Lindsay Lohan - Mean Girls

Like I said, people love to hate.  That or they're just high.  wacko.gif

Goobs is 100% correct with this.

Even you do agree with this list, there could be an even longer list of BAD performances from these people.

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Aug 25 2012, 10:48 AM)
Leonardo DiCaprio.

facepalm.gif

People give this guy a bad rap because of Titanic. He was great in that. No, the dialogue wasn't always, or even often that good, but that didn't mean he didn't do a great job with what he had to work with.

Inception

Gangs of New York

The Aviator

Revolutionary Road

Catch Me If You Can

The Basketball Diaries

Blood Diamond

And there are other movies that weren't necessarily as great, like The Beach or The Departed, that still had great acting from him.

I disagree with every fibre of my being. I haven't seen all of Leonardo DiCaprio's movies but I've never seen a single one in which he suspended my disbelief. When I see him in a film, I am always painfully aware of the fact that I'm watching LEONARDO DICAPRIO pretend to be this thing or that thing. "Oh, look, it's Leonardo DiCaprio pretending to be Jim Carroll! Oh, look, it's Leonardo DiCaprio trapped in a layers of dreamworlds! Oh, look, it's Leonardo DiCaprio pretending to be J Edgar Hoover!"

Yeah I pretty much agree with that.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 25 2012, 02:49 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Aug 25 2012, 12:41 AM)
Cruise has had his moments of shit for sure but I think he also did well in Magnolia, Rain Man, Vanilla Sky, and Taps.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Keanu Reeves. He has got to be the King of Incompetency. Shia Lebouf could be the Prince of Incompetency.

And I don't know what has happened to Nick Cage. He used to be good.

Nicolas Cage is still good, he just is often in crap movies. He was great in the National Treasure movies, even though the movies themselves were a bit spotty at times - they were still fun.

Keanu Reeves is not the best actor of all time by a long shot, but often for what's required of him he does a fine job, like in Parenthood and Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure and Devil's Advocate. And the first Matrix is one of my favorite films ever - no, he's not the best actor on the planet, but I never watch The Matrix and wish it was someone else playing the part - I think he does a fine job - far better than just serviceable.

I think often people don't like some of these actors because either they're often in bad movies (which doesn't make them bad actors), or they don't like them personally (which still doesn't make them bad actors). Take Tom Cruise. Is he obnoxious? Yeah, he definitely can be for sure. That doesn't mean the 10-12 movies he was brilliant in from the 80's and 90's are suddenly bad movies or that his performances all of the sudden suck.

How do you explain The Wicker Man? The original was an excellent film. Cage made the remake into a ridiculous mess with some very strange ham acting...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 25 2012, 09:23 AM)
And unfortunately for Nicolas Cage, once he started to get seriously recognized and won an Oscar, he started often choosing roles that were beneath his abilities because of the large paycheck attached, and Con-Air was EXACTLY where that started. He wasn't bad, the movie was. His choices since then have often been terrible. He's still the same actor, just rarely challenged like he was on a movie like Leaving Las Vegas or Adaptation so you can't see how good he really is.

The best actors produce good performances even in bad films, this should not be used as an excuse.

When did say someone like Gene Hackman ever give anything less than a stellar performance regardless of the quality of the film?

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Aug 25 2012, 10:48 AM)
I haven't seen all of Leonardo DiCaprio's movies but I've never seen a single one in which he suspended my disbelief. When I see him in a film, I am always painfully aware of the fact that I'm watching LEONARDO DICAPRIO pretend to be this thing or that thing. "Oh, look, it's Leonardo DiCaprio pretending to be Jim Carroll! Oh, look, it's Leonardo DiCaprio trapped in a layers of dreamworlds! Oh, look, it's Leonardo DiCaprio pretending to be J Edgar Hoover!"

I'm pretty much the same with Tom Cruise. Although, in Rain Man, I thought he gave an extraordinary performance. He can be convincing, but most of the time, he isn't.

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Aug 25 2012, 09:48 AM)
Leonardo DiCaprio.

facepalm.gif

Inception

Gangs of New York

The Aviator

Revolutionary Road

Catch Me If You Can

The Basketball Diaries

Blood Diamond

Really? Even as Luke in Growing Pains?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHaHE6oWdFA

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Aug 25 2012, 08:16 AM)
How did I know before I even opened this thread that it would be filled with tons of talented actors and actresses. sarcasm.gif

I'm not saying everyone mentioned is top notch, but some are really great.  People sure love to hate.

Every actor mentioned in this thread could be greatly talented AND be annoying and bad at times. It is NOT an all-or-nothing argument. It's not about "hating"...... no.gif

There is a HUGE gap (wide enough to drive a mack truck through) between having a bad role and being a bad actor.

If some people are annoyed by them, for whatever random reasons, that doesn't make them bad actors either.

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Aug 25 2012, 08:48 AM)
Leonardo DiCaprio.

facepalm.gif

Inception

Gangs of New York

The Aviator

Revolutionary Road

Catch Me If You Can

The Basketball Diaries

Blood Diamond

You're entitled. Still, a great actor. yes.gif

The Kartrashians are not actors, they are a name that somehow got marketed and the stupid paying public fell for it. Only in America can a bunch of nobody's get a whole host of tv shows, clothing stores, clothing lines, make-up lines etc. and the public eats it up and buys their stuff. This is a big WTF for me confused13.gif

Jennifer Aniston is another person I don't get the popularity of. Her movies absolutely suck yet she makes several of them a year and people go to see them. Another WTF moment for me confused13.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 25 2012, 10:46 AM)
Cruise has had his moments of shit for sure but I think he also did well in Magnolia, Rain Man, Vanilla Sky, and Taps.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Keanu Reeves. He has got to be the King of Incompetency. Shia Lebouf could be the Prince of Incompetency.

Nicolas Cage is still good, he just is often in crap movies. He was great in the National Treasure movies, even though the movies themselves were a bit spotty at times - they were still fun.

Keanu Reeves is not the best actor of all time by a long shot, but often for what's required of him he does a fine job, like in Parenthood and Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure and Devil's Advocate. And the first Matrix is one of my favorite films ever - no, he's not the best actor on the planet, but I never watch The Matrix and wish it was someone else playing the part - I think he does a fine job - far better than just serviceable.

I think often people don't like some of these actors because either they're often in bad movies (which doesn't make them bad actors), or they don't like them personally (which still doesn't make them bad actors). Take Tom Cruise. Is he obnoxious? Yeah, he definitely can be for sure. That doesn't mean the 10-12 movies he was brilliant in from the 80's and 90's are suddenly bad movies or that his performances all of the sudden suck.

How do you explain The Wicker Man? The original was an excellent film. Cage made the remake into a ridiculous mess with some very strange ham acting...

Never saw it. No desire to see it. Loved the original.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 25 2012, 02:37 PM)

You can't just ignore bad performances by saying oh I've no desire to see the movie and then try and say these actors only give good performances...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 25 2012, 12:43 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 25 2012, 02:37 PM)

You can't just ignore bad performances by saying oh I've no desire to see the movie and then try and say these actors only give good performances...

I have to see every movie a person has ever been in to make a statement that someone is or isn't a good or great actor? laugh.gif

Nicolas Cage has been in a LOT of movies I've seen.

Some are good or great - Leaving Las Vegas, Adaptation, Raising Arizona, Moonstruck, Peggy Sue Got Married, Valley Girl, The Cotton Club, The Family Man, National Treasure.

Some were ok - Weather Man, Knowing, Next, Wild At Heart, The Family Man, the 2nd National Treasure.

Some sucked - Honeymoon in Vegas, Guarding Tess, City of Angels, Con Air, Snake Eyes and worst of all, the horrendously overrated and stupid Face/Off.

That's 21 movies - sorry I didn't see the one you wanted me to see to prove your point. tongue.gif

Seriously though, after 21 movies (that I can recall), I can safely say he's a great actor. I don't like all the movies, and sometimes when I don't like the movies I don't even remember his performance (like Con Air for example), but I never recall seeing him where I thought he was doing a bad job, just that sometimes the role sucked and/or the movie sucked.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 25 2012, 03:35 PM)
Leonardo DiCaprio.

facepalm.gif

Inception

Gangs of New York

The Aviator

Revolutionary Road

Catch Me If You Can

The Basketball Diaries

Blood Diamond

You're the guy who thinks that Stephenie Meyer is a great writer, so I shall give your opinion the weight it deserves wink.gif

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Aug 25 2012, 01:42 PM)
Leonardo DiCaprio.

facepalm.gif

Inception

Gangs of New York

The Aviator

Revolutionary Road

Catch Me If You Can

The Basketball Diaries

Blood Diamond

You're the guy who thinks that Stephenie Meyer is a great writer, so I shall give your opinion the weight it deserves wink.gif

You do that.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 25 2012, 04:53 PM)
QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Aug 25 2012, 01:42 PM)
Leonardo DiCaprio.

facepalm.gif

Inception

Gangs of New York

The Aviator

Revolutionary Road

Catch Me If You Can

The Basketball Diaries

Blood Diamond

You do that.

I will!

And I'll let you have the last word, too. wink.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Aug 25 2012, 10:16 AM)

I'm not saying everyone mentioned is top notch, but some are really great.  People sure love to hate.

Yeah part of my question concerns actors who annoy people, whether they're good or bad. Some actors just make you reach for the off switch or put you off a film in the first place, there's no getting around it...

trink38.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 25 2012, 04:29 PM)

Yeah part of my question concerns actors who annoy people, whether they're good or bad. Some actors just make you reach for the off switch or put you off a film in the first place, there's no getting around it...

Well then let's just mention all the Kardashians then. I think they are trying to act like humans, but it is all a miserable fail.

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Aug 25 2012, 05:18 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 25 2012, 04:29 PM)

Well then let's just mention all the Kardashians then. I think they are trying to act like humans, but it is all a miserable fail.

I don't understand why the media is so obsessed with them, and that includes the media worldwide.

confused13.gif