Tackling the Epics

sitboaf

Different Stages contained the sidelong epic 2112.

On R30, we got Xanadu and Natural Science.

We were just treated to Moving Pictures in its entirety on the Time Machine Tour.

I think the only epics left are Lamneth, Cygnus X-1 and Hemispheres.

Since the boys won't be doing this forever, is there any chance we hear one of those on the CA Tour?

And in 2014, once they're freed of playing most of Clockwork Angels live, maybe we'll hear the last true classic album, Signals, in it's entirety?

hug2.gif

QUOTE (sitboaf @ Aug 12 2012, 12:51 PM)
We were just treated to Moving Pictures in its entirety on the Time Machine Tour.

Since the boys won't be doing this forever, is there any chance we hear one of those on the CA Tour?

And in 2014, once they're freed of playing most of Clockwork Angels live, maybe we'll hear the last true classic album, Signals, in it's entirety?
hug2.gif

Sure there's a chance...Just gonna have to wait and see what we get.

QUOTE (sitboaf @ Aug 12 2012, 11:51 AM)

hug2.gif

There's always a chance. I think we'll get Xanadu this time around along with The Camera Eye again, if the rumor of them playing 5 songs from MP holds true. But you never know? Maybe we'll get Hemispheres in R40 if there is an R40. Regardless, I'm all for getting some Epics played!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Aug 12 2012, 02:09 PM)

hug2.gif

There's always a chance. I think we'll get Xanadu this time around along with The Camera Eye again, if the rumor of them playing 5 songs from MP holds true. But you never know? Maybe we'll get Hemispheres in R40 if there is an R40. Regardless, I'm all for getting some Epics played!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Ya know...I don't want 5 songs from MP...we just saw 8 songs last tour!!!

I'm gonna hate sayin' it but they're getting lazy if the rumor holds true.

I want CA and then a whole shitload of songs we haven't heard in years.

QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ Aug 12 2012, 01:34 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Aug 12 2012, 02:09 PM)

hug2.gif

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Ya know...I don't want 5 songs from MP...we just saw 8 songs last tour!!!

I agree, 5 songs was a bit much (IMO) I would like to get Limelight, Red Barchetta and Tom Sawyer. If they actually had to play at least 3. I'd be happy with just 2 from MP. There are so many other great unplayed RUSH songs that need to see the light of day that its not funny.

sad.gif

hug2.gif

Okay, first off: By Different Stages, you mean the T4E tour, right? Yes, they did 2112 in full there. They also did Natural Science then too, but not on R30.

On the chances of each epic, at least as far as I can guess:

Bytor: Very unlikely, an excerpt at best.

Necromancer: Not gonna happen. At best, some sort of excerpt, but even then I can't imagine how to work it into anything but Bytor.

Lamneth: Nope. There is no evidence that they ever did this live to begin with, why would they dredge it up now? Not even an excerpt.

2112: Not certain, but pretty likely, at least as far as the first movements are concerned. Now, with the string section in play, there is a slight, very slight but glimmering possibility that they may do the whole thing. Let us pray.

Xanadu: Hard to say. With the string section in play, they may very well go with it. It has the kind of synths and epic quality that they could replicate easily with a string ensemble. Not certain by any means, but I can easily see it happening, if only a half version.

Cygnus: Just an excerpt or a teaser. Pretty unlikely, but by no means a long shot.

Hemispheres: Again, probably just the first section, perhaps even a shorter version of that. Not very likely, but it could happen.

La Villa Strangiato: They might give this one a rest, but it has a pretty good chance to come up again. 50/50 really.

Jacobs Ladder: Hard to say. They were bummed out on it in rehearsals for TMT, but then again they had always said the same thing about The Camera Eye. With the strings... who knows?

Natural Science: Perhaps, hard to say. Again, they might find a way to redo it with the strings, and it could be interesting. But then again they might just skip it. Out of all the epics though (along with LVS to a lesser extent), this is the one that they are the least likely to chop up. If they do it, they'll do it whole hog or damn close.

The Camera Eye: They will probably drop it, but it might still show up, perhaps as an intro, or just the first half or something.

They've been pretty intent on not spending too much time on any one thing in recent years. Their usual response when asked about certain obscure tunes is "It would take too long." Even the 7-12-minute songs typically get chopped down these days, so I'm thinking the 20-minute ones aren't even on their radar. Lifeson once joked that maybe if they play a seven-hour set someday, they'll think about including Lamneth.

As much as I'd like to witness a great performance of Hemispheres, I don't think Geddy can do the vocals justice anymore, and I don't think he'd even have any interest in doing the Cygnus screaming. Parts of Lamneth might actually work, and Geddy did say somewhat recently (well, in 2002 or so) that certain sections of the song held up surprisingly well for him. But I just don't see them cutting out stuff that's more recent and that they're obviously fond of playing for the sake of including, say, Bacchus Plateau--though goodness knows I'd love to hear it!

QUOTE (BrightAntennae @ Aug 12 2012, 05:01 PM)
QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ Aug 12 2012, 10:34 AM)

goodpost.gif

If this were another tour, I would agree with you. However, since this is their first tour with a String Section, I believe its more of a " I wonder what our classic tracks would sound with the strings" thing than apathy or laziness on part of the boys.

yes.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (BrightAntennae @ Aug 16 2012, 10:02 AM)
I don't ( I hope) think they don't ruin the classics with strings.

I'm very much looking forward to the strings; but only where naturally fit in. (CA songs + Mission, Losing It etc)

I agree, However there are certain songs, where the keyboard emulate strings as in "Limelight". Here it is very easy to remove the keyboard (pedal) string sound and insert the real thing!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (BrightAntennae @ Aug 12 2012, 05:01 PM)
QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ Aug 12 2012, 10:34 AM)

goodpost.gif

Agree totally here, really hope this is the case. But the other postings in this thread suggesting they will likely try to play the usual tunes to hear the orchestra treatment is more likely. Which is another reason getting the orchestra this tour sucks.

Edited by greg2112

hug2.gif

Some epics are more epic than others.

And more concert-worthy.

Honestly, I'm secretly still hoping for an all Epics tour! throw some Mini-Epics in there and it would be an awesome set list:

Set 1:

Clockwork Angels

The Necromancer

By-Tor and the Snowdog

Jacobs Ladder

Seven Cities of Gold

Cygnus X-1

Hemispheres (Entire)

The Garden

Set 2:

The Camera Eye

The Anarchist

Red Barchetta

Territories

Natural Science

Headlong Flight

Mal-Nar/Neil's Solo

Alex's Solo/ La Villa Strangiatto

Xanadu ( Entire)

Encore:

2112 (Entire)

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

hug2.gif

Absolutely zero chance we get Lamneth or Hemispheres because:

-They have a ton of stuff they want to play and have had a hard time fitting it all in while being mindful they will play at least 8 songs from Clockwork

-Geddy can't come anywhere near the high notes in those 2

-The band hates Lamneth

How about we hear Hemispheres' Prelude in the way we heard Cygnus X-1 on the VT tour....

It would also be cool to hear that VT tour of Cygnus X-1 with the spoken intro be the opening song for all sets on the CA tour... who agrees?

QUOTE (WavesandWindows @ Aug 23 2012, 06:30 AM)
How about we hear Hemispheres' Prelude in the way we heard Cygnus X-1 on the VT tour....

It would also be cool to hear that VT tour of Cygnus X-1 with the spoken intro be the opening song for all sets on the CA tour... who agrees?

More likely something like this:

More likely something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVYxMT1aunA

I had no idea they had done that. So cool.

I'd love to hear something similar, or another R30 Overture-type song, if they don't want to blow out Geddy's voice with a lot of '70s stuff.

However, the clip you posted was from a show 18 years ago, and even R30 was seven years ago.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.