Sgt. Pepper Lonely Hearts Club Band

Akron162

I just remembered that A Day In The Life was banned from being played on the radio for a time when the album came out.

I clearly remember taking the album jacket to my brother-in-law and asking him to read they lyrics and tell me why the song was banned. I think I was about 12 or 13?

It might have been the lyrics "I'd love to turn you on"??? Any lyrics thought to be referring to drugs was a radio no no..that's my guess

• Like 1

I have never heard an entire Beatles album or owned one. I have obviously heard their music over and over again....

I can honestly say, they do not strike me as your thing. But the white album would be my recommendation to you, as it has some genuine heaviness and lyrical daftness that i find endlessly addictive, and beautiful.

Like Tusk, I love every single song.

A funny thing that you mentioned Tusk. I have the album but have never heard it. I think it must of been my wifes many moons ago and I inherited it. I put it on yesterday and got almost through the first 2 songs at picked up the needle and put it away :eh: . I put on Rumours instead....

Skip to Stevies songs. Her best work is on Tusk. Your enjoyment of Tusk largely depends on your view of Buckingham's experimentation.

The second song (have no idea the name) was so weird I jumped up and pulled the plug. I had heard he had lots to do with this album and I find him a bit weird anyway so it makes sense....

I have never heard an entire Beatles album or owned one. I have obviously heard their music over and over again....

I can honestly say, they do not strike me as your thing. But the white album would be my recommendation to you, as it has some genuine heaviness and lyrical daftness that i find endlessly addictive, and beautiful.

Like Tusk, I love every single song.

A funny thing that you mentioned Tusk. I have the album but have never heard it. I think it must of been my wifes many moons ago and I inherited it. I put it on yesterday and got almost through the first 2 songs at picked up the needle and put it away :eh: . I put on Rumours instead....

Skip to Stevies songs. Her best work is on Tusk. Your enjoyment of Tusk largely depends on your view of Buckingham's experimentation.

The second song (have no idea the name) was so weird I jumped up and pulled the plug. I had heard he had lots to do with this album and I find him a bit weird anyway so it makes sense....

Maybe cd is for you, skip to stevie and mcvie...as i said, i love it all, but from day one i have been a Buckingham Nicks fan.

It's hard for me to be objective about The Beatles because I grew up with them. Even when I hear one of their songs today, I don't listen to it and think: "Wow! Great song!" but more like "Oh, a Beatles song."

That reminded me of the line from the movie, "Sliding Doors"...

"Everyone's born knowing all the Beatles lyrics instinctively. It's passed to the fetus subconsciously along with all the amniotic stuff. Infact, they should be called 'the Featles'."

• Like 2

It's hard for me to be objective about The Beatles because I grew up with them. Even when I hear one of their songs today, I don't listen to it and think: "Wow! Great song!" but more like "Oh, a Beatles song."

That reminded me of the line from the movie, "Sliding Doors"...

"Everyone's born knowing all the Beatles lyrics instinctively. It's passed to the fetus subconsciously along with all the amniotic stuff. Infact, they should be called 'the Featles'."

I simply love that movie! My favourite quote from that film as well.

I grew up with The Beatles and my older sister was a huge fan, so I kind of inherited it. Over the years, I've really come to appreciate the impact they made on the world of music and I really love their psychedelic era. The older stuff not as much but still like and can listen to it. I always kind of wondered what would have happened if they'd stayed together and written more. But I also think the huge exposure they got kind of ruined them and made them turn to doing more and more bizarre stuff so they wouldn't have to tour.
  • Like 1

I grew up with The Beatles and my older sister was a huge fan, so I kind of inherited it. Over the years, I've really come to appreciate the impact they made on the world of music and I really love their psychedelic era. The older stuff not as much but still like and can listen to it. I always kind of wondered what would have happened if they'd stayed together and written more. But I also think the huge exposure they got kind of ruined them and made them turn to doing more and more bizarre stuff so they wouldn't have to tour.

Over exposure has me on a nine year break, lol I know their music better then any band. I respect them but they hold no shine for me anymore.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

Over exposure has me on a nine year break, lol I know their music better then any band. I respect them but they hold no shine for me anymore.

Mick

I understand that especially if you played them too much. I listen to them maybe once every 7 years. Like the 7 year itch. :)

• Like 1

I think that's what it was with me. Overexposure just growing up with them.

The only album of theirs that I would like to own now is Abbey Road.

:musicnote: You never give me your money...... :musicnote:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 3

For me, the Beatles were my first love. I'll never forget the feelings growing up with them, and how they impacted my life. If you were there, you experienced what a phenomenon they were. It's hard for me to even put it into words.

I take a break from their music now and then, but they'll always be my number 1. I love Sgt. Pepper..

I guess I'm a second generation Beatles fan. My brother and sister had albums in the house (The Rolling Stones, the Who, Led Zeppelin, etc.), but it was the Beatles albums that captured my imagination. I can't explain it. I acknowledge that they weren't the only band innovating and pushing the envelope, but, personally, they encapsulated it the best. If that makes any sense... Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 2

I acknowledge that they weren't the only band innovating and pushing the envelope...

I think that they led the way in many respects.

Yes. I definitely believe that. But that doesn't mean they were the originators, so to speak. It was a movement and the Beatles represented it the best. Kind of like Cliff Notes...

I acknowledge that they weren't the only band innovating and pushing the envelope...

I think that they led the way in many respects.

Yes. I definitely believe that. But that doesn't mean they were the originators, so to speak. It was a movement and the Beatles represented it the best. Kind of like Cliff Notes...

When I was much younger, I used to say that The Beatles revolutionized the world. They certainly changed music.

• Like 3

Anyway .

Sgt .Pepper .

The reason I`m here right now typing this post is because of Sgt. Pepper .

I listened to music from the wee age of 5 years old ( 1967 strangely enough ) picking up 45`s for the entertainment of my family and friends and putting on classics like Hello Dolly , Juliet and many more sounds from the 60`s

Fast forward to 1973 and I bought Band On The Run .by Paul McCartney and Wings .

Loved it .

Then I found and bought Sgt . Pepper on which my new Pop hero was on .

I stuck it on sat back

That was the day my life changed .

Talk about Alice in Wonderland it just blew me away from the start of the orchestra tuning up till the last orgasmic long strains of the crashing Pianos

Pure magical music form a band at the top of there game the album that had it all

Rock , Psychedelic , Indian , Soap opera , the Tune in of a Day In The Life ( a beginning of Prog ?)

This set the path for the rest of my life

It is and as long as I live the greatest album that I was very lucky to stumble upon .

For all albums I have heard there are many great ones .

Sgt. Pepper was then and now the reason why I listened to albums , that maybe one day I may come across that Buzz and divine moment that I had all those years ago .

But I know that will never happen .

Beautiful post.

Get this collection:

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_400/MI0003/033/MI0003033786.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

I got it decades ago from my older sister. It's still my favorite Beatles album.

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

I wonder why this thread has only 4 pages. :huh:

Sgt. Pepper changed my life more than once. It's a fantastic album from start to finish and I'm sure I'll never get tired of it.

• Like 3

It was a long time ago. If I remember correctly, and without checking, it came out in 1967.

We'll put that in perspective.

In 1967, I was 13.

This year I will be 61.

:)

Reminds me of the fantastic Porcupine Tree song Time Flies. First line of the song is "I was born in '67, the year of Sgt. Pepper..."

I like it Don't love it. might be more of a you had to be there thing. It has a day in the Life which is my fav Beatles song. and it certainly is better them Pet sounds by leaps and bounds. My god is that record a snooze fest.

Mick

Pet Sounds? Isn't that The Beach Boys?

• Like 1