Clockwork Angels, a 'Grower'?

jwoods89

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 31 2012, 08:42 AM)
It's not the album, it's the listener.

What I mean is: an album is an album, but each listener will react differently to it. One Rush fan's "grower" album is the same album which another fan loves from the very first listen.

With CA, I loved it right away and still do. Some fans feel the same as I do, while others report that it had to "grow" on them.

It's not the album, it's the listener.

goodpost.gif

While I've appreciated CA pretty much from the first listen, I can definitely relate to the OP in that a lot of Rush albums have tended to grow on me after a couple of listens.

Some of their songs are so technically complex that it takes me a few listens before I can truely appreciate just how good the music is and wonder how the f*ck they can still bring it after all of these years. 1022.gif

No need to grow here, loved it the first time

Its not a grower for me. I liked it from the beginning. The sound quality which I have complained about ad nauseum has prevented any growth for me. About four songs have withered for me with multiple listens as the newness wore off. I still like the rest, best I can hear it.

QUOTE (deathlikesilence @ Jul 29 2012, 03:54 PM)
all rush albums are growers for me

when i first heard power windows and presto i hated them, and when i first heard moving pictures i didnt enjoy any of side 2

Same here, although this one has done the fastest growing by far.

Still hasn't hit the 8/10 stars for me. Still at 7. Still some powerful songs but the dogs really bring it down. eh.gif Edited by Gompers

QUOTE (rushlady23 @ Aug 10 2012, 12:57 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 8 2012, 03:16 PM)
No need to grow here, loved it the first time

trink39.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (jwoods89 @ Jul 29 2012, 12:39 PM)
Do you think Clockwork Angels is one of those albums that takes some time to warm up to? I have listened to the majority of the songs so far and none of them really hit me in the face as some of their other stuff, but I am just thinking that maybe it will take some time to grow on me perhaps? I recently listened to S&A after a few months and that album hit me like a ton of bricks for some reason and now I really, really like it a lot.

Funny you mention that, same thing happened to me with Snakes and Arrows. When it first came out I was like " AHH thats POO" lol. But then after coming down my high from Clockwork Angels I gave S&A a listen again and now I'm in love with it. I just think its great that Rush's music is always there and it just takes a certain time or point in life where the listener can really appreciate the different nuances to each album.

wub.gif

Caravan, BU2B, Headlong Flight KICKED my ASS when they came out--

I got to see Caravan/BU2B performed live 3 times before CA released...

THen they pre-launched HF and what the heck?

I was a ragdoll.

Clockwork Angels releases in full:

I was a live corpse being zapped lie an MRI or ECT with the seven cities of distorted chorus and classic RUSH noise that they can make.

Instant hit album for, not one doubt.

Sorry that others aren't up to speed, or is that, feeling the speed I get from Rush's CA.

QUOTE (jwoods89 @ Jul 29 2012, 04:08 PM)
Currently about half way thru The Garden and I gotta say this one is great.

First time i've ever seen a member give a mini-review of the song before he's listened to the whole thing

laugh.gif

I enjoyed it first listen. But it took several spins before I could really hear the intricate details and some of the layering that they did.

And for me, Alex's solo in The Garden is one of my favorite from recent times. it just seemed to really be moving and a powerful part.

And headlong flight, I loved how they added Bastille Day to the tune, really nice touch! Going way back!

Yea, its going to change for everyone, tough to say how it will grow on you, might take several more listens, or set it down and come back later.