Twilight Saga - GREAT books!

rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 26 2012, 08:44 AM)
And to think I actually started this thread as a book series recommendation.

From now on I'll only start threads on cool subjects and things people don't love to hate here. The moral of the story - start a topic on things that people on TRF have a seething and sneering hatred for, and you get everyone not just disagreeing, but taking a big shit all over you and what you like. Pretty much everyone I come across outside of TRF has read the books and loves them, but that's pretty meaningless here, and I guess my family and friends just aren't that cool. There are plenty of subjects I've brought up on TRF that consistently get the same results. Lesson learned. Won't do it again.

Goobs, why does it bother you so much when people don't like the same things that you like?

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Jul 26 2012, 12:49 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 26 2012, 08:44 AM)
And to think I actually started this thread as a book series recommendation.

From now on I'll only start threads on cool subjects and things people don't love to hate here.  The moral of the story - start a topic on things that people on TRF have a seething and sneering hatred for, and you get everyone not just disagreeing, but taking a big shit all over you and what you like.  Pretty much everyone I come across outside of TRF has read the books and loves them, but that's pretty meaningless here, and I guess my family and friends just aren't that cool.  There are plenty of subjects I've brought up on TRF that consistently get the same results.  Lesson learned.  Won't do it again.

Goobs, why does it bother you so much when people don't like the same things that you like?

especially some shit that sucks?

Gary, I do apologise for disrespectfully laughing so hard at your statement that the Twilight books exhibit "great writing." That was perhaps unnecessary. I did enjoy it, though! wink.gif

I wouldn't have laughed like that if you'd said it was a "great story," which is far more subjective, but an objective fact is that the writing itself (i.e., the use of the English language in telling the story) is atrocious. I can't really enjoy a book that I feel like I should be reading with a red pen in my hand. Never mind the generally grammar-school-level competence of the prose itself, those books weren't even proofread properly!

I said in my earlier post:

QUOTE (GeddysMullet)
The story in the Twilight books is fairly compelling in a mental-junk-food sort of way, especially if you think it's romantic for men to stalk, infantilise and emotionally and sometimes physically abuse women...[.]

To elaborate, while I acknowledge that the actual story told by the whole Twilight thing is quite engaging as a complete distraction from reality, I feel that the story that is being told turns on highly abusive relationships, and that casting such abusive relationships in a romantic and desirable light is repulsive, especially when it's something that is widely read by young girls. So if I have a certain amount of sneering or even seething hatred for "The Twilight Saga," it is based on my being familiar with those kinds of relationships and my knowledge that they are damaging, unhealthy, and pretty much the diametric opposite of romantic.

This is just as much the truth to me as it is the truth to you that Vapour Trails is a horrendous embarrassment to Rush or that Geddy can't sing live anymore. wink.gif I hope you don't think this is taking a giant dump on something you love, but if you do, recall if you will some of the things you've said about things that I love! tongue.gif laugh.gif

wink.gif hug2.gif

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Jul 26 2012, 03:42 PM)

This is just as much the truth to me as it is the truth to you that Vapour Trails is a horrendous embarrassment to Rush or that Geddy can't sing live anymore. wink.gif I hope you don't think this is taking a giant dump on something you love, but if you do, recall if you will some of the things you've said about things that I love! tongue.gif laugh.gif

wink.gif hug2.gif

And herein lies the root of the nature of this thread.

All good in the end. Songs and books...nothing to live or die over.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jul 26 2012, 07:20 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 24 2012, 11:17 AM)
For some reason it's trendy to hate Twilight, so I'm sure this thread will invite plenty of that, but for the rest of us who like reading great books, let me just say that these are EXCELLENT books! yes.gif

I was at first very skeptical of Twilight having listened to all the hype about it.  Then I saw the first movie.  It was actually really, really good and I ended up seeing all of the movies (except obviously the 5th one that hasn't come out yet).

My mother and wife (and sister and brother for that matter) all encouraged me to read the books.  As is usually the case, the books were MUCH better.  They went into so much more detail than the movies.  The last one in particular was outstanding, and I can't wait to see how they film the last half of it since the book was split into two movies.

Anyway, for those who don't just want to hate and won't give it a chance, I highly recommend these books.  Great writing and highly entertaining stories! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

"Great"? Great story? Great in terms if being extremely well-written?

Fine if you enjoy the story but in terms of literature this is not high art. 30 years ago it would probably have been rejected purely based on how poorly written it is. Dan Brown too.

Dan Brown is Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys balls. I'm pretty sure he made a deal with the devil to earn his critical acclaim.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 24 2012, 08:45 PM)
so goose, i'm assuming then you've read the books?

To build on EW's "shit" analogy, if I may...

You don't need to eat shit to know it tastes terrible; a smell from outside the bathroom will suffice.

Edited by Mr. IsNot

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 24 2012, 08:45 PM)
anyway, given the series has sold over 100 million copies worldwide, obviously i'm not the only person around who loves them.

So is the trend here loving the books or hating them?

Different people have different opinions. A reality you seem to have trouble with when it's to your disfavor.

Have you considered people have reasons for disliking the series much like the young teenage girls have their reasons for lusting over it?

Edited by Mr. IsNot