RUSH not RUSH

spock

Try this: It only happens once in a great while. Rush writes/plays a song that so un-like them that you love it just 'cause it's THAT different. Here's my short list:

Available Light

Losing It

The Garden

Red Lenses

Bravest Face

Fire away!

QUOTE (spock @ Jul 20 2012, 06:15 PM)
Try this: It only happens once in a great while. Rush writes/plays a song that so un-like them that you love it just 'cause it's THAT different. Here's my short list:

Available Light
Losing It
The Garden
Red Lenses
Bravest Face

Fire away!

Add clockwork angels to that list...cool thread

Sure, I'll play. smile.gif

Different Strings (Alex at then end)

Madrigal (I love contrast of the gentle melodic end followed by Cygnus X-1's chime)

Losing It (poignant)

Double Agent (strangest thing the band has done, imo)

Available Light (Alex's line after "play of light, a photograph, the way I used to be", the crack in Geddy's voice)

I'm leaving CA off the list for the time. I'm still digesting it and ranking it in the pantheon of 2.gif, but I think you're correct about The Garden. It transcends the band.

QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Jul 20 2012, 06:34 PM)
Sure, I'll play. smile.gif

Madrigal (I love contrast of the gentle melodic end followed by Cygnus X-1's chime)
Losing It (poignant)
Available Light (Alex's line after "play of light, a photograph, the way I used to be", the crack in Geddy's voice)

I'm leaving CA off the list for the time. I'm still digesting it and ranking it in the pantheon of 2.gif, but I think you're correct about The Garden. It transcends the band.

Double Agent! Completely agree - that song ROCKS! But, still one of a kind!

Rivendell

Making Memories (love the easy acoustics rolling into the hard, more "normal" Rush)

Countdown

Losing It

Tai Shan (suck it, haters)

Available Light

Roll the Bones (you don't like the rap? Well I do!)

Resist (live)

Hope

Halo Effect

The Garden

I don't love each of these songs, but I like them and I love that Rush did something new on each of them.

For those playing at home - don't you see a pattern? Similar songs? Hmmm - aren't we really building the set list that ought to bookend CA next tour?!?

Why, yes we are!

Hope someone in the band is reading this...

It's hard for me to think of a song that 'doesn't sound like Rush,' because they have been through so many different eras/sounds that I can't put anything past them. Hell that's half the reason they are my all-time favorite band. Edited by NYM86

QUOTE (spock @ Jul 20 2012, 08:25 PM)
For those playing at home - don't you see a pattern? Similar songs? Hmmm - aren't we really building the set list that ought to bookend CA next tour?!? 

Why, yes we are!

Hope someone in the band is reading this...

Well....I don't know about that...When I saw them do Double Agent live, it did not work. I recall an interview with Geddy acknowledging that song's weird live sound. The syncopated beat with the vocal was really tough for him and parts of it were taped for the live performance. Some of the other songs sure, but not that one.

I do like the thread about quirky 2.gif songs though.

Making Memories was one that I considered (a road trip song for me) since it is very pop-like, especially for the same album as By-Tor. Totally respect the Rivendell reference, though it's not one of my preferred 2.gif tunes. - good call LedRush (and I'm not a Tai Shan hater, not really a lover though either)

No One at the Bridge (even though its part of a larger composition)

I'm going to add 'Mystic Rhythms' to the mix. It's always stood out as a different-sounding song to me - that echo-y, tribal-ish beat and, well, mystic sound.

Another one I'd pick is 'One Little Victory' - the driving drums and thrust of the song is something a little different; at least, it stands out the most to me on Vapor Trails, as the 'odd one out'.

Well, these are the songs that struck me as "strange" at first listen, but now I'm so used to them that they now sound "normal" to me.

Double Agent

Red Lenses

Didacts and Narpets (not sure if this really counts as a "song")

Twilight Zone

Losing It (mostly because of the violin)

Ha, I'm detecting a common theme through most of these: strange vocals.

Double Agent - obviously

Red Lenses - "it's true!" and Geddy's weird scat singing on the fadeout

Didacts and Narpets - obviously lol

Twilight Zone - the whispering

Edited by Bangster of Goats

QUOTE (Bangster of Goats @ Jul 21 2012, 09:04 AM)
Well, these are the songs that struck me as "strange" at first listen, but now I'm so used to them that they now sound "normal" to me.

Double Agent
Red Lenses
Twilight Zone

Ha, I'm detecting a common theme through most of these: strange vocals.

Double Agent - obviously

....And the rapping in 'Roll the Bones'!

QUOTE (Mika @ Jul 21 2012, 03:17 PM)
QUOTE (Bangster of Goats @ Jul 21 2012, 09:04 AM)

Double Agent
Red Lenses
Twilight Zone

Ha, I'm detecting a common theme through most of these:  strange vocals.

Double Agent - obviously

....And the rapping in 'Roll the Bones'!

Well, that song didn't strike me as "strange"... just "bad". wink.gif

Well actually now that I think about it, I definitely did think it was strange at first. wink.gif The first time I ever heard that song, I had gone to the record store specifically to buy Roll The Bones on the day it was released. They happened to be playing it in-store when I got there, and I walked in right on the rapping part. I was like "wtf is this?" thinking it was some rap/pop/techno thing and then the rapping/electro part concluded and the band (which sounded immediately "Rushy" to me) kicked in, and I was like "waitaminute is this the new Rush?" and sure enough once I heard Geddy sing I thought "oooooohh it is! cool!.... wait what the hell was that I heard earlier!??"

Does "Closer to the Heart" count? It is more sentimental than most other "harder" Rush songs.

Also "Hope", since it is an instrumental not involving nerdy subjects like an airport or a strange village.

And of course, the silly and goofy "Dog Years". Cracks me up every time I listen to it.

All of the above! And...

SCARS! Freaking epic tune! 1022.gif

I love when Rush experiments. smile.gif

Mmm, I wub.gif 'Scars'!

One more song I'd add to the list: 'Tears'. I wasn't very familiar with it until recently, and the first couple of times it popped up on my ipod I thought, "What's this? What girl singer could have snuck on my Rush-dominated playlist?" That last time it played, I finally knew better. It's a great song, and I get a little emotional listening to it, but geez, Geddy sounds a bit like a girl singing it, if one is not prepared! ph34r.gif

QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Jul 20 2012, 06:34 PM)
Sure, I'll play.  smile.gif

Losing It (poignant)

I'm leaving CA off the list for the time.  I'm still digesting it and ranking it in the pantheon of 2.gif, but I think you're correct about The Garden.  It transcends the band.

Yeah, "Double Agent" is kind of weird with it's spoken vocal. But when I first listened to the Counterparts album that was the one song that made me think "now this one sounds like Rush". There was something about it that reminded me of old Rush. It's one of my favorites from that album.

Edited by clintonb

HYF

S&A

RTB