The Dark Knight Rises...reaction thread

Presto-digitation

The Dark Knight Rises is the Return Of The Jedi of Nolan's Batman trilogy, which is to say entertaining, watchable, very much fitting the other films...but the weakest of the lot.

The primary culprit is the editing and pace. Even at NEARLY 3 hours the film is packed more tightly into that window than Gene Simmons in his body armor in 2012. This is not to say the film isn't worth seeing; it is. But I prefer the first two. I remember that the Ledger film got some flac for its pacing, but that looks like slo-mo compared to Rises. And while TDK was indeed dense, you could balance that with the magnificence of Heath Ledger's psychological mind-f**k. That degree of performance is missing here.

On the plus side, Hathaway's Cat Woman isn't nearly as bad as I feared she would be; in fact, she's quite good in the role, isn't overused, and provides some needed comic relief. Bane is imposing and cool. No failure there. His scenes with Bats are very good.

I just think the story is too big. I felt I was watching Adam Richman on Man Versus Food packing in those extra 40 oysters or that last pound of mega-burrito. This could have been two films. The end result is that you feel pummeled and exhausted. I'm still processing what I saw because I didn't have a ton of time to do that during the film. Again, not slagging the movie...but on first viewing, if Batman Begins is a 4.5 and The Dark Knight is a (nearly) perfect 5, The Dark Knight Rises is 3.5 or 4.

Edited by Presto-digitation

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Jul 20 2012, 02:57 PM)
They all were like that. The first 2 needed multiple viewings for me. There is so much packed in there and for me, a person who is unfamiliar with the story of batman going in, it was hard to take it all in. I am waiting until this one hits Blu-ray.

I'm sure I'll enjoy it even more on future viewings, but I enjoyed the other two more after those first viewings. I can safely say that much.

Went to see the Dark Knight marathon at the theater last night. 8 straight hours of Batman and pure justice. Honestly, TDKR could NOT have been any better. I won't spoil it for anyone, but I do believe there WILL be more Batman related films in the near future with one very special character wink.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 20 2012, 04:05 PM)
QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Jul 20 2012, 02:57 PM)
They all were like that.  The first 2 needed multiple viewings for me.  There is so much packed in there and for me, a person who is unfamiliar with the story of batman going in, it was hard to take it all in.  I am waiting until this one hits Blu-ray.

I'm sure I'll enjoy it even more on future viewings, but I enjoyed the other two more after those first viewings. I can safely say that much.

I get what you are saying. This at least makes me comfortable to wait until its released to Blu-Ray. I saw the other two in the theater and am glad I did.

I saw it tonight. Good but not great. Whilst the film whizzed by for me, as has mentioned already, this film lacks the certain something that Heath Ledger's Joker brought to TDK. Better than the first for me, 8/10

f*ck assh*les with guns, i've went twice in the past 24 hours. you people shouldn't let it effect your decision to go see the film, either.

anyways...

the movie was really good. Bane was cool, but i didn't dig the storyline with him very much. loved Catwoman. i was happy that Anne's performance wasn't similar to Michelle's, as Batman Returns is my favorite of the Batman films. i was extremely pleased with the ending. wrapped it up very nicely.

Edited by liddybuck01

I am far from being an expert on Batman, but I like Batman a lot. He's, by far, my favorite superhero. I like the Burton Batman movies, I hate the Schumacher Batman movies and I love the first two Nolan Batman movies. I read and enjoyed several graphic novels. And I love the animated series.

With that said, I read several reviews that lead me to believe I might not be happy with The Dark Knight Rises. I plan on seeing it this weekend. I apprehensively can't wait...

I did get a chance to see it and I did like it. Although this may be the last of the Batman trilogy something tells me this won't be the last we see of some of the characters in this movie. Hathaway as Catwoman did not work for me, she just seemed awkward, IMHO!

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Jul 21 2012, 03:09 PM)

I did get a chance to see it and I did like it. Although this may be the last of the Batman trilogy something tells me this won't be the last we see of some of the characters in this movie. Hathaway as Catwoman did not work for me, she just seemed awkward, IMHO!

I thought she could have appeared much more than she did in the film. Hathaway definitely delivered the right attitude of Catwoman, but I think she was downplayed. Her costume could have been much better, too.

I really enjoyed the film, very much.... Alot to take in, but found it very very good... not as good as TDK, but better than the first for me (which I also love)

On a side note.... can we assume this is a spoiler thread? Ill keep this post safe but can we agree that from here on out full spoiler mode is on..

(Highlight to Read)

I saw the Talia Al Ghul thing coming from a mile away, I know the general movie goer won't, but anyone familiar with Batman mythos should....and I wish they'd quit mispronouncing Ra's al Ghul's name its "Rache" al Ghul not "Raz" al Ghul..

....that aside I think alot of the people who have a small bit of disdain for the Nolan films due to the straying away from source material will with this film find MUCH to enjoy... it is by and far the most "Comic Book-y" of the Nolan films (in a good way, that dosen't give way to camp) and the closest to the source material.

8.5 out of ten - Liked it very much - However, it Could have easily been done without cat-woman and it would have been a darker, better movie, she killed the suspense on more than one occasion with her one liners -

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Jul 21 2012, 11:47 PM)
8.5 out of ten - Liked it very much - However, it Could have easily been done without cat-woman and it would have been a darker, better movie, she killed the suspense on more than one occasion with her one liners -

but, if you pay attention to the end, she served a greater purpose. i really enjoyed her story line. and her one-liners kept it light when, at times, was very dark.

i thought it was strange how they never named Holly Robinson, Selina's friend/assistant.

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Jul 22 2012, 12:44 AM)
QUOTE (alphseeker @ Jul 21 2012, 11:47 PM)
8.5 out of ten - Liked it very much - However, it Could have easily been done without cat-woman and it would have been a darker, better movie, she killed the suspense on more than one occasion with her one liners  -

but, if you pay attention to the end, she served a greater purpose. i really enjoyed her story line. and her one-liners kept it light when, at times, was very dark.

i thought it was strange how they never named Holly Robinson, Selina's friend/assistant.

I think it would have been better if they had they developed her character a little better such as where she came from and what made her so bitter - They developed Blake's character perfectly, you knew exactly what drove him but you never find out what her problem is -

I had a problem with Bane. What happened to the serum he injects into himself to become hulk-like? I didn't mind the fact that they changed his origins to make it more believable, but I didn't find him threatening because he lacked what defined the character. The only thing that really separated him from the joker was his mask. Otherwise their antics almost seemed the same except Bane put more thought into it.

I'm also glad the Talia Al Ghoul twist wasn't so important because the moment they said Bane was Rahs Al Ghoul's son I figured that one out on the spot.

Great cast performances all around. I thought the ending was very appropriate. This movie would have amazing if Bane was actually Bane and a few less gun shots fired. It's a great movie, but Avengers is still way ahead of it.

8/10

Wow. I hated the ending. It represents the opposite of every thing that drives and motivates Bruce Wayne to be Batman. It's a shame. Nolan did so many great things with the story - except understand what makes Batman who he is. Batman is not a symbol anyone can be - he's Bruce Wayne driven to fight crime and corruption on ANY level. In a way, the Joker won.