Obseervation: Geddy's vocals don't match lyrics

anchorman

QUOTE (anchorman @ Jul 15 2012, 11:19 AM)
Does anyone else feel that Geddy's vocals don't match some of the songs lyrically in mood or tone ?

Specifically, Geddy just doesn't portray the anger and/or desperation that should be felt in The Anarchist, Carnies and The Wreckers.

I don't need to hear him screaming like days of old at a higher pitch, but at least convey the song to the listener better. A good example would be Hand Over Fist - It's an angry, emotional song and you can hear it in his phrasing -

"You talk as we walk along
You never imagined I could be so wrong
Humming your favorite song
You know I've hated that song for so long

How can we ever agree?
Like the rest of the world
We grow farther apart
I swear you don't listen to me
Holding my hand to my heart
Holding my fist to my racing heart"

I think the CA songs are very, very good and in some cases great (The Anarchist) but I think Nick or someone should have stepped up and said.."Hey Geddy, you sound much too "ok" with the circumstances here."

Its like a movie where a director gives guidance to its actors. You're telling a story Geddy, you're the lone survivor of a vicious attack by pirates. Blood is in the water...how about a darker tone to your words ? You can still be melodious, but how about giving us a little despair?

I thought Geddy did a good job on most of the other songs, especially The Garden.

This is pretty common throughout their enitre career. Why is The Big Wheel so upbeat and positive when the lyrics are so negative? Just what happens when 2 guys write music in 1 room, and the other guy writes lyrics in another room. then it all gets glued together later. The lyrics arent always going to match the feel of the song. I dont think its a big deal but I definitely notice the same thing you are.

Peart actually talked about this a while back how its difficult to make things match up well because of their writing process. He brought up Middletown Dreams as an example of where he thought the marriage of music and lyrics worked perfectly, but it doesnt always with Rush.

Back to the O.P. - this is mere observation, not a criticism. That's why I said I'm not following him. Was it meant as a criticism?

Dark lyrics with upbeat music, or vice versa, is not a "flaw" in the songwriting.

Edited by eshine

QUOTE (eshine @ Jul 15 2012, 06:05 PM)
Back to the O.P. - this is mere observation, not a criticism. That's why I said I'm not following him. Was it meant as a criticism?

Dark lyrics with upbeat music, or vice versa, is not a "flaw" in the songwriting.

Hey eshine,

Yes, it was an observation but also a criticism. As is, I like the song but I think it could have been better had Geddy sang it with a darker tone.

You like the song too and think it works, so my opinion is just that - an opinion and preference. I guess there's no right or wrong when you express an opinion.

One of the best examples of a singer not matching the tone to the lyrics is "Every Breath You Take". No finger pointing there, as Sting wrote it and sang it.

However, Sting admitted in interviews he was baffled when people would tell him they played the played the tune at their wedding. It's sounds like a love song when in fact its actually a bit on the stalking/creepy side.

QUOTE (SUBDIVISIONS @ Jul 16 2012, 04:50 PM)
Record done
You think You know better?
Make Your band
Tour 38 years
Make 20 gold or platinium records
And then come back and we can argue about it.

I knew it was only a matter of time till someone busted out this tired, wholly ineffective "argument." You don't need to be Michael Jordan to state your opinion on Kobe Bryant's jumper. You don't need to be Bobby Flay to state your opinion on Emeril Lagasse's duck a l'orange. Why do you need to be as musically accomplished as Rush to state your opinion on their music? Give me a break.

Edited by NYM86

QUOTE (NYM86 @ Jul 16 2012, 04:51 PM)
Record done
Make Your band
Tour 38 years

I knew it was only a matter of time till someone busted out this tired, wholly ineffective "argument." You don't need to be Michael Jordan to state your opinion on Kobe Bryant's jumper. You don't need to be Bobby Flay to state your opinion on Emeril Lagasse's duck a l'orange. Why do you need to be as musically accomplished as Rush to state your opinion on their music? Give me a break.

Not having 20 gold records doesnt mean someone doesnt actually know whats good and what isnt. Most ignorant thing people try to use in an argument and it never works.

Pretty sure Rush are just 3 humans, just like the rest of us. They even admit to just being regular guys, no more able to judge something than any of us are. Accomplishments are irrelevant when critiquing something.

Even the band themselves talked many times about this subject. Explain that please when they admit it doesnt always work out as good as can be.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jul 16 2012, 06:26 PM)
QUOTE (bluefox4000 @ Jul 15 2012, 02:12 PM)
Give these guys a break they're old laugh.gif

I mean come on now.

Mick

Not that old. Try another excuse! smile.gif

laugh.gif

Who said i was making an excuse? It's just mind boggling to me that people say things like they're not like they used to be..............of course they're not wink.gif Just a playful observation tongue.gif

Mick

QUOTE (SUBDIVISIONS @ Jul 16 2012, 03:50 PM)
Record done
Make Your band
Tour 38 years

Ender.

QUOTE (bluefox4000 @ Jul 16 2012, 06:43 PM)

I mean come on now.

Mick

laugh.gif

Who said i was making an excuse? It's just mind boggling to me that people say things like they're not like they used to be..............of course they're not wink.gif Just a playful observation tongue.gif

Mick

You're on a Rush dedicated message board. Here, they arent old, and still as good as they were 30 years ago.

Go on a general rock message board and youll get very different opinions about Rush these days.

There's nothing wrong with still liking what they're doing, but people get very butthurt here if you have an opinion about anything that differs from theirs.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 16 2012, 08:21 PM)

I mean come on now.

Mick

laugh.gif

Mick

Go on a general rock message board and youll get very different opinions about Rush these days.

which message board would that be?

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 16 2012, 08:23 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 16 2012, 08:21 PM)

I mean come on now.

Mick

laugh.gif

Mick

which message board would that be?

Go make a thread on qbn.com, a general board for everything under the sun. Lots of guys there that loved Rush. Ask them what they think about new Rush, see how that works out for you. I already know what they'll say but they are brutally honest over there so it's always entertaining to see. You'll get some pretty nasty response if you post some of CA there.

Record done
Make Your band
Tour 38 years

I've played on as many Gold or Platinum albums as every Rush producer combined has. Did you think about that before stating your childish argument to someone expressing their opinion ?

Do you really think that Rush's criteria for having someone Produce them matches your ridiculous scenario ?