Obseervation: Geddy's vocals don't match lyrics

anchorman

Does anyone else feel that Geddy's vocals don't match some of the songs lyrically in mood or tone ?

Specifically, Geddy just doesn't portray the anger and/or desperation that should be felt in The Anarchist, Carnies and The Wreckers.

I don't need to hear him screaming like days of old at a higher pitch, but at least convey the song to the listener better. A good example would be Hand Over Fist - It's an angry, emotional song and you can hear it in his phrasing -

"You talk as we walk along

You never imagined I could be so wrong

Humming your favorite song

You know I've hated that song for so long

How can we ever agree?

Like the rest of the world

We grow farther apart

I swear you don't listen to me

Holding my hand to my heart

Holding my fist to my racing heart"

I think the CA songs are very, very good and in some cases great (The Anarchist) but I think Nick or someone should have stepped up and said.."Hey Geddy, you sound much too "ok" with the circumstances here."

Its like a movie where a director gives guidance to its actors. You're telling a story Geddy, you're the lone survivor of a vicious attack by pirates. Blood is in the water...how about a darker tone to your words ? You can still be melodious, but how about giving us a little despair?

I thought Geddy did a good job on most of the other songs, especially The Garden.

QUOTE (anchorman @ Jul 15 2012, 11:19 AM)
Does anyone else feel that Geddy's vocals don't match some of the songs lyrically in mood or tone ?

Specifically, Geddy just doesn't portray the anger and/or desperation that should be felt in The Anarchist, Carnies and The Wreckers.

I don't need to hear him screaming like days of old at a higher pitch, but at least convey the song to the listener better. A good example would be Hand Over Fist - It's an angry, emotional song and you can hear it in his phrasing -

How can we ever agree?
We grow farther apart

I think the CA songs are very, very good and in some cases great (The Anarchist) but I think Nick or someone should have stepped up and said.."Hey Geddy, you sound much too "ok" with the circumstances here."

Its like a movie where a director gives guidance to its actors. You're telling a story Geddy, you're the lone survivor of a vicious attack by pirates. Blood is in the water...how about a darker tone to your words ? You can still be melodious, but how about giving us a little despair?

I thought Geddy did a good job on most of the other songs, especially The Garden.

Point well taken. smile.gif

QUOTE (anchorman @ Jul 15 2012, 08:19 AM)

How can we ever agree?
We grow farther apart

It's not just CA...it's pretty much every album they have put out after the 3 of them stopped writing music together in the same room.

What I think is more apparent is how "shoehorned" the lyrics are squeezed into a song where it obviously doesn't fit and sound right.

It's just getting much more lazy and sloppy IMO.

QUOTE (BrightAntennae @ Jul 15 2012, 11:44 AM)

Specifically,  Geddy just doesn't portray the anger and/or desperation that should be felt in The Anarchist, Carnies and The Wreckers.

I don't need to hear him screaming like days of old at a higher pitch, but at least convey the song to the listener better.  A good example would be Hand Over Fist - It's an angry, emotional song and you can hear it in his phrasing -

How can we ever agree?
We grow farther apart

Its like a movie where a director gives guidance to its actors.  You're telling a story Geddy, you're the lone survivor of a vicious attack by pirates.  Blood is in the water...how about a darker tone to your words ?  You can still be melodious, but how about giving us a little despair?

It's not just CA...it's pretty much every album they have put out after the 3 of them stopped writing music together in the same room.

What I think is more apparent is how "shoehorned" the lyrics are squeezed into a song where it obviously doesn't fit and sound right.

shoehorning is apparent on some but not all of the songs imo. trink38.gif

How can we ever agree?
We grow farther apart

No, I don't agree in the slightest.

His inflection and on the three songs you mentioned could not be more appropriate and emotive.

Don't get your point at all.

That's a great point. Perhaps there was more collaboration back when they were writing together on the road.

I wish Neil wasn't so lenient with Geddy in allowing how the song will be phrased or sung. I know Geddy has to feel comfortable singing and playing but if the limitations start to diminish the song, that's a problem.

As for Geddy's playing, he sounds fantastic on this CD. Unfortunately, I believe Alex's playing has digressed technically. I was thrilled to hear him return to soloing but some of his creativity has been replaced by heavier, distorted chords for presence. He used to be great at incorporating harmonics into his playing.

Neil's drumming seems to lack character too. His unique fills were something that you would anticipate in the song. They seem to have been replaced by a lot of busy snare work that isn't as memorable. I'm not a drummer so please forgive me if I'm not being clear. -- Could this be Nick's influence or am I blaming him too much ?

I like that they added the ambient background sounds to the songs. That was a nice touch. Geddy mentioned that Alex was the one who incorporated them.

Edited by anchorman

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 15 2012, 11:16 AM)
some shoehorning or maybe ged doesn't keep quiet when he should but i guess it's irrelevant since i don't care for the songs.  much more shoehorning on s & a.  just say no to shoehorning.  biggrin.gif

Agreed, definitely much more of it happening on S&A.....

After listening to CA quite a few times, I'm noticing that some of the bridges on songs sound really horned in, or thrown randomly together. Take The Wreckers for example. the bridge completely sounds off to me. You can't tell me that is something they spent time on making sure it sounded right for the song. I don't hear that sort of stuff in older Rush. Not at all.

Edited by WCFIELDS

QUOTE (eshine @ Jul 15 2012, 11:11 AM)

Specifically,  Geddy just doesn't portray the anger and/or desperation that should be felt in The Anarchist, Carnies and The Wreckers.

I don't need to hear him screaming like days of old at a higher pitch, but at least convey the song to the listener better.  A good example would be Hand Over Fist - It's an angry, emotional song and you can hear it in his phrasing -

How can we ever agree?
We grow farther apart

Its like a movie where a director gives guidance to its actors.  You're telling a story Geddy, you're the lone survivor of a vicious attack by pirates.  Blood is in the water...how about a darker tone to your words ?  You can still be melodious, but how about giving us a little despair?

No, I don't agree in the slightest.

His inflection and on the three songs you mentioned could not be more appropriate and emotive.

Don't get your point at all.

That's because you are blind to constructive criticism.....you won't take anything except this album is a masterpiece.....which it obviously isn't.

• Like 1

QUOTE (BrightAntennae @ Jul 15 2012, 11:44 AM)

How can we ever agree?
We grow farther apart

Shoe horning is very minimal to me on CA, much much improved compared to SA.