Barroom Blues

spock

So, in the middle of a song about mechanical angels that control "everything", the band transitions into some barroom blues segment that (a) musically isn't aligned with the rest of the song and (cool.gif seems very out of place in such a song based solely on the lyrics up to that point.

Anyone else scratching their heads over that?

Are they making some music reference to something we'll read in the novel (inside joke?), but otherwise doesn't quite fit?

confused13.gif

QUOTE (spock @ Jul 9 2012, 01:13 PM)
So, in the middle of a song about mechanical angels that control "everything", the band transitions into some barroom blues segment that (a) musically isn't aligned with the rest of the song and (cool.gif seems very out of place in such a song based solely on the lyrics up to that point.

Anyone else scratching their heads over that?

Are they making some music reference to something we'll read in the novel (inside joke?), but otherwise doesn't quite fit?

confused13.gif

I thought that maybe the barroom blues section (nice name!) was supposed to be the watchmaker speaking out to the masses (hence the megaphone effect), and the rest of the song was merely a description of Chronos Square and the Angels themselves.

QUOTE (NYM86 @ Jul 9 2012, 05:44 PM)
Around that point in the song I could really go for a tempo and feel change, so that's why I like it.

I like the variation and whole mood change.....the transition to and from that section feels quite smooth to me. A nice breather and proggish.

Ah, didn't know it was the Watchmaker speaking during that section. It's not that I don't like it, it's just such an abrupt change to an unusual style. I wonder if we're supposed to learn something about the watchmaker from "the blues"...Perhaps the Watchmaker is really B. B. King looking for some side work wink.gif

QUOTE (NYM86 @ Jul 9 2012, 05:44 PM)
Around that point in the song I could really go for a tempo and feel change, so that's why I like it.

yes.gif goodpost.gif bacon.gif

When I first heard it I was like wtf.gif .

I listened a few times and came up with this idea.

I see it as kind of homage to the old Broadway/Hollywood musical "On The Town" (1944/1949).

There is a scene where three sailors arrive in New York (the big famous city they've heard all about but never been) for the first time and are mesmerized by all wonders there. All the things to see and do and with little time they run through the city to try to soak in all the wonders they can.

Here is a link (skip the ad).

The Simpsons did a similar thing here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61kHpmenkT8

In CA, Owen arrives in Crown City, the big famous city filled with amazing things he's heard so much about, and after seeing The Clockwork Angels he wanders the city soaking in its wonders.

I agree in that the lyrics Geddy sings are from The watchmaker, either hearing him speaking from above or what I think is, he comes across something (a sign, or poster, or billboard) that can be found pasted all over Crown City, there to remind the people of what the every present omnipotent Watchmaker provides.

In this case blues, not so much Broadway.

Edited by OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan

QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ Jul 9 2012, 08:29 PM)
When I first heard it I was like wtf.gif .

I listened a few times and came up with this idea.

I see it as kind of homage to the old Broadway/Hollywood musical "On The Town" (1944/1949).

There is a scene where three sailors arrive in New York (the big famous city they've heard all about but never been) for the first time and are mesmerized by all wonders there. All the things to see and do and with little time they run through the city to try to soak in all the wonders they can.

Here is a link (skip the ad).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7CIgWZTdgw

The Simpsons did a similar thing here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61kHpmenkT8

In CA, Owen arrives in Crown City, the big famous city filled with amazing things he's heard so much about, and after seeing The Clockwork Angels he wanders the city soaking in its wonders.

I agree in that the lyrics Geddy sings are from The watchmaker, either hearing him speaking from above or what I think is, he comes across something (a sign, or poster, or billboard) that can be found pasted all over Crown City, there to remind the people of what the every present omnipotent Watchmaker provides.

In this case blues, not so much Broadway.

I know what you mean - although it's different music styles, I keep imagining Owen walking into the Cantina in Mos Eisley - that sort of sudden change for the newbies from the farm. (hmmm, Luke Skywalker had an uncle Owen..could this be a prequel to the prequel? If there's a Beru anywhere in the story line, I swear... cool.gif

Along the lines of some of the above posts, I hear that section as what the main character hears as he walks through the square. In particular, that section portrays, for me, the part of town where some "true believer" has a megaphone and is preaching on the corner as the main character walks by. It is bluesy because this part of the area is a bit rougher around the edges. I think the main character is feeling the energy of the place, and thus, when the megaphone part ends, the last line of the mini-sermon repeats, without the megaphone effect . . . "and everything will turn out for the best." The main character is on a high at that point; it seems possible to him that, perhaps, everything WILL turn out for the best. (Or, stated differently, his feet catch the pulse and the purposeful stride; he feels the sense of possibilities . . . the focus is sharp in Chronos Square.)

(Go easy -- my first post.)

QUOTE (AlanP @ Jul 9 2012, 09:03 PM)
Along the lines of some of the above posts, I hear that section as what the main character hears as he walks through the square.  In particular, that section portrays, for me, the part of town where some "true believer" has a megaphone and is preaching on the corner as the main character walks by.  It is bluesy because this part of the area is a bit rougher around the edges.  I think the main character is feeling the energy of the place, and thus, when the megaphone part ends, the last line of the mini-sermon repeats, without the megaphone effect . . . "and everything will turn out for the best."  The main character is on a high at that point; it seems possible to him that, perhaps, everything WILL turn out for the best.  (Or, stated differently, his feet catch the pulse and the purposeful stride; he feels the sense of possibilities . . . the focus is sharp in Chronos Square.)

Actually, that's excellent.

Still working this bit out myself. I focus on the music first, and then worry about Neil's current lyrical....bent.

QUOTE (AlanP @ Jul 9 2012, 11:03 PM)
Along the lines of some of the above posts, I hear that section as what the main character hears as he walks through the square. In particular, that section portrays, for me, the part of town where some "true believer" has a megaphone and is preaching on the corner as the main character walks by. It is bluesy because this part of the area is a bit rougher around the edges. I think the main character is feeling the energy of the place, and thus, when the megaphone part ends, the last line of the mini-sermon repeats, without the megaphone effect . . . "and everything will turn out for the best." The main character is on a high at that point; it seems possible to him that, perhaps, everything WILL turn out for the best. (Or, stated differently, his feet catch the pulse and the purposeful stride; he feels the sense of possibilities . . . the focus is sharp in Chronos Square.)

I agree 100%.

I like that scenario best actually.

Welcome.

QUOTE (AlanP @ Jul 9 2012, 10:03 PM)

Perfectly put.

And really, who doesn't love an awesome, transitional mood change in a Rush song, particularly when its done so well? I'm surprised it would be called into question at all.

Isn't this the kind of stuff we like them for?

confused13.gif

QUOTE (AlanP @ Jul 9 2012, 10:03 PM)

Brilliant - yes, I think you've nailed it. Okay, that's how I'll see it every time I listen now!

Great first posting!