clockwork Angles

hi guys i just got clockwork angels and while its not bad i dnt really care for it. i mean its by my favorite band rush and they cant make anything truely bad but it just doesnt have what i hoped. its nothing against it we all have our own teacups but i just wish it had more synth. i think synth is a lot more creative for writing and theres too much guitar. just my 2 cents. rush on! smile.gif

QUOTE (thirtytwolettercharacterusername @ Jul 9 2012, 01:13 AM)
yeah maybe i mean snakes and arrows took a few listens i dont know i guess i just prefer keyboard music in general i guess

Mozart and Beethoven are pretty good.

QUOTE (thirtytwolettercharacterusername @ Jul 9 2012, 12:05 AM)
hi guys i just got clockwork angels and while its not bad i dnt really care for it. i mean its by my favorite band rush and they cant make anything truely bad but it just doesnt have what i hoped. its nothing against it we all have our own teacups but i just wish it had more synth. i think synth is a lot more creative for writing and theres too much guitar. just my 2 cents. rush on! smile.gif

Sounds like you might be burned out on the style of music itself.

This album isnt all that much different than VT. Kind of that modern/hard rock sound, very guitar heavy using tons of power chords, lots of stock rock on it with just heavy driving guitars using pretty typical chord progressions and tons of 4/4 beats by Neil that he can't seem to break out of.

I pretty much share the same feelings. They have their ways of writing now and are stuck in it. I wish they would have went in another direction but the band is old and near the end so Ill take whatever I can get. Hell, I thought this band was done after T4E so these 3 album since are only a bonus and could easily have never existed if Neil never got the will to come back.

I would have liked it more if they went more off the deep end, like they did with 2112, or at least get back to more adventurous and creative song writing like stuff on PeW and MP, but they're just not the same band anymore and are much more of just a normal rock band now, which is what they apparently want to be so it's their decision. Nothing we can do about it.

QUOTE (thirtytwolettercharacterusername @ Jul 9 2012, 12:05 AM)

I would have liked more synth too......but I still love CA!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Babycat @ Jul 9 2012, 01:24 AM)
Not to detract from the topic, but what a great username! biggrin.gif

+1

I hear quite a bit of a return to that adventurous spirit in some songs, like the title track and The Anarchist, especially, the latter of which DEFINITELY reminds me of some '82-era walking bass lines and choral guitar chords. If that song existed in '81'-82, it wouldn't at all sound out of place. (Musically, I mean).

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 9 2012, 09:37 AM)
I hear quite a bit of a return to that adventurous spirit in some songs, like the title track and The Anarchist, especially, the latter of which DEFINITELY reminds me of some '82-era walking bass lines and choral guitar chords. If that song existed in '81'-82, it wouldn't at all sound out of place. (Musically, I mean).

Agreed.

CA, The Anarchist, and Carnies are adventurous in spirit. I love the ode to their early and mid 80's sound on those songs in particular. With Carnies what starts with a crunchy riff turns into a spacey cool verse and very melodic chorus. A nice mix of new Rush with the crunch and power and the 80's Rush with the pre and full chorus.

But Rush has become more straight forward over the years, no doubt about that. And I think the last album we had the Neil we truly loved (technical, precision like roll's and drum parts) was Counterparts. After he re-learned his craft with Freddy he went for more space, and straight forward in the pocket parts. It sounds great, and he still has plenty of signature Neil but not nearly the precision, speed and power. And hey that's age, personal events, all of that stuff rolled up. I will take what i can get. I thought they were history after T4E too. I think most of us did.

If we manage to get one more album after this great effort that would be amazing at this point.

More importantly I am so looking forward to hearing the CA live. I have a great feeling it will be amazing.

Well you are in a small group. But I'm right with you. I was and am not blown away by this record. There are GREAT songs on their but....it's being sunk a bit by so-so material. Needs serious editing. Not only that I can hardly stand the production...it's a tired point, but it holds with me. it blows me away the reception CA is getting.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

QUOTE (thirtytwolettercharacterusername @ Jul 9 2012, 12:19 PM)
yeah you know there are parts of the album i like it just misses something for me. its still rush and ill still support them and i cant wait to see them on tour!!!

and hey todem just sayin theres a to in your sig that needs another o.

Damn, Todem's gettin grammar critique from geddyfan13's older and more sophisticated brother laugh.gif

Edited by Tarkus406
  • Like 1

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Jul 9 2012, 06:08 PM)
QUOTE (thirtytwolettercharacterusername @ Jul 9 2012, 12:19 PM)
yeah you know there are parts of the album i like it just misses something for me. its still rush and ill still support them and i cant wait to see them on tour!!!

and hey todem just sayin theres a to in your sig that needs another o.

Damn, Todem's gettin grammar critique from geddyfan13's older and more sophisticated brother laugh.gif

Meh....shit happens when you have bong resin storing up in my 42 year old head.

Fixed. And thanks for the heads up.

QUOTE (thirtytwolettercharacterusername @ Jul 9 2012, 12:13 AM)
yeah maybe i mean snakes and arrows took a few listens i dont know i guess i just prefer keyboard music in general i guess

Try this. Play entire CD on Ipod while reading the book at the same time every other day or so.