Windows 8

Tarkus406

http://www.fastcodesign.com/multisite_files/codesign/imagecache/inline-large/post-inline/inline-2-windows-8-logo-pgram.jpg

Sadly, I'm expecting a steaming pile for this release. Seven was a godsend, but a half empty box of Triscuits with a dead mouse at the bottom would be an improvement over that lousy Vista....

Windows Eight. Seven plus One...

Sporting the new Metro style home screen. Giving everyday computing more of a "smartphone" feel...could be alright...could be a crock-o-shit... I don't know yet I haven't used it.

I know that smartphones and tablets are the "thing" now. I know. I have a tablet. The idea is great. Awesome, even.

But here's the thing...my PC isn't a tablet! confused13.gif

They really need to release a "desktop" version of Windows 8 with all this "metro" bullshit stripped out. Can you imagine people in an engineering department trying to use Windows 8?

"Oh you gotta click on the desktop tile first...yeah..then open SolidWorks...well duh its slow, they made the desktop a freakin APP"

http://static.techspot.com/articles-info/506/images/windows-8-new-metro-desktop.jpg

This frightens me, as my company is planning to buy all new computers for our department sometime within the year. I'm really hoping they can still grab Windows 7, because I'm kinda weary of this...

I really wanted to download the Release Preview and try it out, but it doesn't seem worth it to me to do that knowing the license will expire in less than 5 months. I had a whole year with the Win7 RC!

Anybody using it right now? Thoughts? Praise? Beefs?

Well I am sure you can use Win 8 without metro on your PC so that is no big deal. I really have been enjoying 7, it has been rock solid for me, so I am not sure I will upgrade, just have to wait and see. I have read that the pro upgrade will be $40 so that is pretty reasonable if it can be a better OS than 7.

I really do not know much about 6, other than Aero is dead.

I am hoping that it has really good integration with other devices, that seems to be what a good push on this OS should be, i.e. a local log-on which logs me into phone, pad, gamebox etc...

As far as Vista goes, I never really used it on my computers since when introduced it was quite a dog, I went to Ubuntu on the lappy and stayed with XP on the PC's. In reality, after service packs it was and is a good OS.

It's like they give every second operating system to a team of interns to design. I find the interface cumbersome on my xbox, and now they put it on my PC? That's all kinds of wrong.

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Jul 3 2012, 09:27 PM)
http://www.fastcodesign.com/multisite_files/codesign/imagecache/inline-large/post-inline/inline-2-windows-8-logo-pgram.jpg

Sadly, I'm expecting a steaming pile for this release. Seven was a godsend, but a half empty box of Triscuits with a dead mouse at the bottom would be an improvement over that lousy Vista....

Windows Eight. Seven plus One...
Sporting the new Metro style home screen. Giving everyday computing more of a "smartphone" feel...could be alright...could be a crock-o-shit... I don't know yet I haven't used it.

I know that smartphones and tablets are the "thing" now. I know. I have a tablet. The idea is great. Awesome, even.

But here's the thing...my PC isn't a tablet! confused13.gif

They really need to release a "desktop" version of Windows 8 with all this "metro" bullshit stripped out. Can you imagine people in an engineering department trying to use Windows 8?
"Oh you gotta click on the desktop tile first...yeah..then open SolidWorks...well duh its slow, they made the desktop a freakin APP"
http://static.techspot.com/articles-info/506/images/windows-8-new-metro-desktop.jpg

This frightens me, as my company is planning to buy all new computers for our department sometime within the year. I'm really hoping they can still grab Windows 7, because I'm kinda weary of this...

I really wanted to download the Release Preview and try it out, but it doesn't seem worth it to me to do that knowing the license will expire in less than 5 months. I had a whole year with the Win7 RC!

Anybody using it right now? Thoughts? Praise? Beefs?

There are 2 modes, that is tablet mode. You can use desktop mode which is very similar to W7....

I find Windows 8 would be good on a tablet, but nothing else. They have a similar system being used on the Xbox 360 dashboard and it's quite terrible. Aside from the fact that it's filled with advertisements, I find it difficult to find and launch a game I have saved on my hard drive. I can just imagine how bad it will be on a PC where I have hundreds of files which I might be looking for from day to day.

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Aug 5 2012, 09:24 AM)
I find Windows 8 would be good on a tablet, but nothing else. They have a similar system being used on the Xbox 360 dashboard and it's quite terrible. Aside from the fact that it's filled with advertisements, I find it difficult to find and launch a game I have saved on my hard drive. I can just imagine how bad it will be on a PC where I have hundreds of files which I might be looking for from day to day.

I think that if Windows 8 comes packaged with advertisements, Apple will be getting 3 times more business next year laugh.gif

I'd drop the 2 G's for a mac if that were the case.

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Aug 5 2012, 04:25 PM)
QUOTE (USB Connector @ Aug 5 2012, 09:24 AM)

I think that if Windows 8 comes packaged with advertisements, Apple will be getting 3 times more business next year laugh.gif

I'd drop the 2 G's for a mac if that were the case.

I would just reuse my serial number for Windows 7 on a different computer. There's nothing wrong with seven.

QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Aug 8 2012, 07:59 PM)
I'm sure they'll let you customize the desktop to make it look more like Windows 7. All the haters need to calm down. lol

Then what's the point of Windows 8?

The GUI looks like shit and Windows is force feeding it on their phones and new tablets.

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Aug 9 2012, 09:50 AM)
QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Aug 8 2012, 07:59 PM)
I'm sure they'll let you customize the desktop to make it look more like Windows 7. All the haters need to calm down. lol

Then what's the point of Windows 8?

Good point. It probably would be mostly for the tablet users which Microsoft has obsessed over as of lately. I hate it. Using phone stuff is so stupid. I mean it can be easy and quick to get to files and what not for some people.

Vista 2!

Probably would be awesome on one of those new Surface tablets they're putting out soon. Windows 7 stays on my computer though. I kept XP through the Vista disaster, I'll keep 7 until 9. smile.gif