Geddy's voice on CA...

DBJetsman

Which Geddy voice would sound better on CA?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Which Geddy voice would sound better on CA?

• 70s Geddy
    • Present Geddy

I was wondering what some of the better songs on CA would sound with young 70s Geddy's voice. I would go with 70s Geddy. But one opinion isn't enough, so vote!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not so much the vocal tone as the melodies and vocal arrangements that I enjoy less today than much of the older stuff. It's not 100% true. The Kings/Hemispheres era has some pretty irritating vocal arrangements, but in general the older stuff was more musical.

For me, the CA title track is a real exception to this trend, as was Working Them Angels.

Geddy's 70's voice was bad and incredibly great all at the same time. Best rock vocalist (not necessarily voice) of all time. Loved it. Never be a better one. Edited by Pound of Obscure

Maybe Ged circa 1981.

I haven't a clue in the world. The songs were made for Geddy's voice NOW, not for Geddy's voice THEN. Speculating on whether his voice from a previous era would be better or worse doesn't make sense to me. I mean, it's fine as a conversation, but I love this album here and now, and Geddy sounds great on it. I see no value in wishing the album is something other than what it is.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 3 2012, 02:13 PM)
I haven't a clue in the world.  The songs were made for Geddy's voice NOW, not for Geddy's voice THEN.  Speculating on whether his voice from a previous era would be better or worse doesn't make sense to me.  I mean, it's fine as a conversation, but I love this album here and now, and Geddy sounds great on it.  I see no value in wishing the album is something other than what it is.

I was very dissapointed that there was no trenken era Geddy confused13.gif

Edited by canadianice

In before the bashfest (Trenken, Gemini, lonelymoon, etc.). 653.gif

I think you need to break it out more, because Ged's vocals really seemed to have gone through many eras over the years. It's mostly tied to albums and/or producers, but I see these as his vocal eras:

Debut - COS

2112 - Hemispheres (high, but less falsetto and "yelling")

PeW - Signals

GUP - HYF

Presto - RTB

CP - TFE

VT

S&A

CA

My favorite vocal era by far is PeW-Signals, and I do think much of CA would have sounded great with this vocal style.

Also, for all the b!tching about his vocals on CA, I do think they're better overall than on VT and S&A.

Edited by They Bow Defeated

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 3 2012, 03:52 PM)
This geriatric patient brings me up everyday. Still pissed I can sing old Rush, and has yet to post any proof that he has any ability to sing old Rush, yet still seems to think he's in a place to criticize it. Thankfully not all old people turn into cranky assholes.

He even called this album a masterpiece. Really?? If Im that f***ing senile when Im on deaths doorstep I'd just be pushing myself through that door. Dudes gonna be dead soon enough and he spends his remaining days hanging from my nuts.

wacko.gif fing.gif scared.gif

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jul 3 2012, 01:54 PM)
This geriatric patient brings me up everyday. Still pissed I can sing old Rush, and has yet to post any proof that he has any ability to sing old Rush, yet still seems to think he's in a place to criticize it. Thankfully not all old people turn into cranky assholes.

He even called this album a masterpiece. Really?? If Im that f***ing senile when Im on deaths doorstep I'd just be pushing myself through that door. Dudes gonna be dead soon enough and he spends his remaining days hanging from my nuts.

Agreed. confused13.gif unsure.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 3 2012, 03:59 PM)

My voice is rested up. Gonna record some 2112 for him soon. I love making that guy look like an idiot. If he wants to keep bringing me up Ill just keep reminding him he has no idea what he's talking about.

And on topic, yeah pretty sure young Geddy would sound better than this on all of these songs.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 3 2012, 04:08 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 3 2012, 03:59 PM)

My voice is rested up. Gonna record some 2112 for him soon. I love making that guy look like an idiot. If he wants to keep bringing me up Ill just keep reminding him he has no idea what he's talking about.

And on topic, yeah pretty sure young Geddy would sound better than this on all of these songs.

Maybe people would stop bringing you up with regards to Geds voice if you didn't come off as so full of yourself and mean-spirited when criticizing him?

I commend you for finally posting some clips of your own singing - but suffice to say you are not nearly as good as you think you are, and certainly no Geddy Lee. The man can sing circles around you. Sorry.

You are, however, a very talented designer.

As for the original topic - there is no denying the power of Geds voice from the 70's, but these songs benefit from the warmth of his current voice. He sounds fresh in spots, weary in others - it all fits.

I cannot imagine The Garden sounding any better with a younger Geddy Lee behind the mike.

QUOTE (eshine @ Jul 3 2012, 05:44 PM)
Maybe people would stop bringing you up with regards to Geds voice if you didn't come off as so full of yourself and mean-spirited when criticizing him?

I commend you for finally posting some clips of your own singing - but suffice to say you are not nearly as good as you think you are, and certainly no Geddy Lee. The man can sing circles around you. Sorry.

goodpost.gif

Yeah, some ego. eh.gif

One 19 second YouTube video "proves" that he's as good as Geddy Lee in his prime? Or better? no.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eljJsLYbKjI

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 2 2012, 08:58 PM)
I f**k up some notes in there from worn out vocals, but I can point you to some youtube vids of Geddy on the Hemispheres tour sounding far worse than what I recorded there if you like.

Edited by They Bow Defeated

I haven't a clue in the world. The songs were made for Geddy's voice NOW, not for Geddy's voice THEN. Speculating on whether his voice from a previous era would be better or worse doesn't make sense to me. I mean, it's fine as a conversation, but I love this album here and now, and Geddy sounds great on it. I see no value in wishing the album is something other than what it is.

This.... yes.gif

Gary, Im amazed at how aligned our thoughts are so often. Almost word for word, was going to post what you just posted.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jul 3 2012, 03:54 PM)

yes.gif

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jul 3 2012, 03:56 PM)

goodpost.gif

Yeah, some ego. eh.gif

One 19 second YouTube video "proves" that he's as good as Geddy Lee in his prime? Or better? no.gif

I f**k up some notes in there from worn out vocals, but I can point you to some youtube vids of Geddy on the Hemispheres tour sounding far worse than what I recorded there if you like.

I actually think Trenken's audio clip sounds pretty good. I do think, however, that there's a SIGNIFICANT distinction between being able to duplicate something, and being able to come up with something as good on your own. It's like the guitar players that can perfectly duplicate Hendrix. It's impressive, but a million miles away from being able to come up with that level of creativity and innovation themselves. It's the difference between being Geddy Lee and being the singer in a Rush tribute band.

Regardless of all that, what I really don't get is the whole "only those who are as artistically creative as whomever someone is reviewing are qualified to review or criticize" argument, as if those people's opinions are more valid than anyone elses. Most of the best reviewers and critics are NOT great musicians or filmmakers. Saying that they aren't qualified to give a valid review because they're not as much of a world class musician or filmmaker as what their reviewing seems pretty ridiculous to me.

Would you rather read a Roger Ebert review of a movie, or one by Martin Scorsese, or a few individuals on the Internet Movie Database? I'd personally rather read all three because everyone's opinion is valid and unique. I'd actually personally read whomever could give a balanced, well-written and easy to read review, and I'd especially like someone who I often agree with as they're the one most likely to give a review I can relate to - and that could be ANYONE. Just because Roger Ebert and Martin Scorsese are more knowledgeable about film than "random internet guy" doesn't mean I'm going to agree with them over anyone else.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jul 3 2012, 04:52 PM)
I haven't a clue in the world.  The songs were made for Geddy's voice NOW, not for Geddy's voice THEN.  Speculating on whether his voice from a previous era would be better or worse doesn't make sense to me.  I mean, it's fine as a conversation, but I love this album here and now, and Geddy sounds great on it.  I see no value in wishing the album is something other than what it is.

This.... yes.gif

Gary, Im amazed at how aligned our thoughts are so often. Almost word for word, was going to post what you just posted.

trink39.gif

eyesre4.gif

Whatever...

J/K, man! trink39.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 3 2012, 07:17 PM)
QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jul 3 2012, 03:56 PM)

goodpost.gif

Yeah, some ego. eh.gif

I actually think Trenken's audio clip sounds pretty good. I do think, however, that there's a SIGNIFICANT distinction between being able to duplicate something, and being able to come up with something as good on your own. It's like the guitar players that can perfectly duplicate Hendrix. It's impressive, but a million miles away from being able to come up with that level of creativity and innovation themselves. It's the difference between being Geddy Lee and being the singer in a Rush tribute band.

Regardless of all that, what I really don't get is the whole "only those who are as artistically creative as whomever someone is reviewing are qualified to review or criticize" argument, as if those people's opinions are more valid than anyone elses. Most of the best reviewers and critics are NOT great musicians or filmmakers. Saying that they aren't qualified to give a valid review because they're not as much of a world class musician or filmmaker as what their reviewing seems pretty ridiculous to me.

Would you rather read a Roger Ebert review of a movie, or one by Martin Scorsese, or a few individuals on the Internet Movie Database? I'd personally rather read all three because everyone's opinion is valid and unique. I'd actually personally read whomever could give a balanced, well-written and easy to read review, and I'd especially like someone who I often agree with as they're the one most likely to give a review I can relate to - and that could be ANYONE. Just because Roger Ebert and Martin Scorsese are more knowledgeable about film than "random internet guy" doesn't mean I'm going to agree with them over anyone else.

It was an Epic Fail. All he was trying to do do was imitate him, and it sucked goat balls. rofl3.gif