Geddy's voice on CA...

DBJetsman

Which Geddy voice would sound better on CA?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Which Geddy voice would sound better on CA?

• 70s Geddy
    • Present Geddy

Present.

Geddy clearly had more vocal STRENGTH back in the day...(show me many 60 year olds who sing with a stronger voice in their 5th decade than their first)...but I like the TONALITY only about 461 times more than the shriiiieeeekiing he did back in '75.

I would say that most vocalists would also agree that where his voice might be weaker now, it's also better. But the biggest critic of all is me...and I'll take Geddy from Presto-til- present over anything prior, vocally speaking.

The truth to me is that he got appreciably better even as early as Permanent Waves in 1980. Geddy on Moving Pictures is VASTLY DIFFERENT than the guy who sang on Caress Of Steel.

His vocals from 74-to-78 were largely grating. I'll take his worst day since. Thanks.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 3 2012, 04:08 PM)
My voice is rested up. Gonna record some 2112 for him soon.

Looking forward to this. trink39.gif If you can sing Temples of Syrinx in the original key and sound as good as Geddy, I'm sure you can win over all your skeptics here. yes.gif

Regarding your Hemispheres clip, I think Geddy hits that high D on "struggle" without going into falsetto. In your clip, it sounds like your going into falsetto for all the high notes. (But I do think Geddy maybe sings the "sought alone" line in falsetto.)

And your pitch is pretty off on "struggle of" and "sought alone."

It's an extremely tough song to sing, though. And I do like the cat. tongue.gif

But your voice in that clip isn't comparable to Geddy Lee (past or present), IMO.

Edited by They Bow Defeated

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 4 2012, 02:14 PM)
His vocals from 74-to-78 were largely grating.

I think I may be in the minority here - I really enjoy Geddy's '74 - '78 era singing! (And I'm a girl, to boot!) Caress of Steel is a particular highlight for me - love how he sings 'Bastille Day'. When I first got into Rush 20 years ago, I remember my brother and I would play CoS, and my mom would have to put her foot down after the first song or two ("Play something else! I can't stand his singing!")

Anyway, it'd be interesting to hear early Geddy singing Clockwork Angels, but just for curiosity sake; I think the songs are tailored for his singing style now and he sounds good with them. For that matter, it would be interesting hearing all singing era Geddys having a go. But in the end, I'd stick with what is now - it is as it should be at this point in time.