Tabbing/Learning The Album - Guitar and Bass

Gilbertk

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Sep 4 2012, 08:44 PM)
QUOTE (mmm_donuts @ Sep 4 2012, 09:31 PM)
old.gif Ya know back before this internet thing-a-ma-jig we had to figure out songs all by ourself. Yep, fire up the record on the turntable and play the same 15-20 seconds over and over until I learned it. Drove the roommates nuts.

But I guess internet tabs save time since I don't have 2-3 hours to spend figuring out songs. It does take some of the challenge out of it though.

tabs have been around longer than the internet.

No matter what anyone says someone helped everyone playing guitar get started by showing them at least some basics like chords and some scales and how to tune it.

I've never heard of members of orchestras taking shits on sheet music since they can learn it from a record. It's ok to use tab - relax.

drool1.gif (my face when i look at your signature)

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Jul 2 2012, 06:16 PM)
QUOTE (Shreddy Lee @ Jul 2 2012, 03:31 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 2 2012, 12:21 PM)
You shouldn't need tabs. Most of the bass is pretty up front in the mix so you can just hear the notes. And he isnt playing anything too fast or complex to make it difficult to learn by ear. Everything on here should be easy to pick up by ear and just memorizing the notes.

That 2nd little bass solo in YYZ, yeah I get why you would need tabs for that, but there is nothing even remotely close to that on this album.

Well considering I'm still pretty new at the instrument and can't yet learn things just by ear, I do need tabs.

Dude it doesn't matter if you're new or Have been playing for 8 years. Tabs are a helpful tool.

Very unlike trenken! He's just being his usual egotistical holier than thou, arrogant self.

I'm looking forward to seeing the songs tabbed out. Just to add...ive been playing for 10 years and I can already play quite a few of the new songs.

Still want tabs.

True, man. I have been playing gtr/b for 25 years. I read music, lead charts, real book....I still benefit from tabs and learn approaches to songs that I did not know. A lot of times, I look at tabs for songs I have figured out by ear and then see what I did wrong/or differently.

I learned Seven Cities on bass just for the fun of it. Usually, I can play the song just from hearing it (because of my job and the ear training required). I have to say that Clockwork Angels has some bass lines that I can not do that with. Probably the first time this has occurred since HYF.

QUOTE (mmm_donuts @ Sep 4 2012, 08:31 PM)
old.gif Ya know back before this internet thing-a-ma-jig we had to figure out songs all by ourself. Yep, fire up the record on the turntable and play the same 15-20 seconds over and over until I learned it. Drove the roommates nuts.

But I guess internet tabs save time since I don't have 2-3 hours to spend figuring out songs. It does take some of the challenge out of it though.

I remember the drop the needle days of the 80s. I credit this to how good my ear has become. I still try to do this to stay in practice. Kids will bring tabs into lessons to learn songs and I try to get them to listen so they can figure out the nuances. Very few want to do that. Just show me the song, they say.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Sep 4 2012, 09:03 PM)

I remember the drop the needle days of the 80s. I credit this to how good my ear has become. I still try to do this to stay in practice. Kids will bring tabs into lessons to learn songs and I try to get them to listen so they can figure out the nuances. Very few want to do that. Just show me the song, they say.

God, it does make me sound old though...

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Sep 4 2012, 09:04 PM)

That must have been hard to figure out solos

QUOTE (av450 @ Sep 4 2012, 09:10 PM)

Yeah I used tabs occassionaly back in the day...when I could find them. Then IF I found them, alot of times they sucked. It still takes a trained ear to realize when the tab is wrong; is our GPS ALWAYS right (answer: hell no)?

Many times I don't figure out solos EXACTLY because 1) well, maybe I just can't play certain parts of it (freewill) and 2) it's fun to substitute here or there and see what else works. I'm not a professional musician so 'good enough' is 'good enough' (my god, there's another cliche phrase for Neil to use instead of 'it is what it is'!).

My dad had a reel-to-reel stereo tape deck which you could run at two speeds. So I would record songs from LPs onto this deck, and then slow down the tape to learn solos and riffs. tongue.gif old.gif

My best learning experience EVER was learning 21st Century Schizoid Man on this tape deck. It was a great ear-training exercise, with all those crazy chromatic runs after the guitar solo. 1022.gif

QUOTE (av450 @ Sep 4 2012, 09:10 PM)

It was....but definitely worth it. I spent an entire weekend back in high school running though the first solo in Fade to Black. Never got the outro....When I saw the official book, I had played a couple of phrases differently, but I had two different ways to approach the solo. I definitely would have liked the tab, but the books and mags were a bit expensive for me back then. I taped records from friends and let friends tape mine. We shared a lot of our findings too. We didn't have tab paper, so we used to draw it out on lined paper. Did wonders for my memory. I remember some of the solos to songs better than the words.

Wonder if there has been more tabbing action going on? unsure.gif

Or, on a slightly different note (heh), does anyone know a good source for a bass tab (or sheet music) for 'Secret Touch'? I've been looking but haven't found much....

QUOTE (Mika @ Oct 13 2012, 01:43 AM)
Wonder if there has been more tabbing action going on? unsure.gif

Or, on a slightly different note (heh), does anyone know a good source for a bass tab (or sheet music) for 'Secret Touch'? I've been looking but haven't found much....

I wish sad.gif I love the bass like in that song, but Headlong Flight and Carnies is tuned to EBEG#BE if it helps and Halo Effect is tuned to DADADD. There goes two days worth of listening for you guys. wink.gif

I got both the Guitar and Bass books from Amazon. I'm pretty happy with them, but like all "Authentic Guitar/Bass Tab Edition" books, there are parts in both where the transcriptions differ from how they are actually played by the artist.

A couple examples in the guitar book is a lot of open position chords given that Alex clearly plays in other positions...for instance in The Anarchist, Al starts the opening chord progression at the 5th position and the book shows open position. Also, Headlong Flight is performed with a guitar tuned to open E, which is not indicated in the transcription at all as it is presented in standard tuning...huge difference there!

Also, it bothers me just a little that the main riff in Seven Cities is all 8th notes in both books(Bass book shows one hammer on 16th to the fourth note in), where on the record there are clearly a few 16th notes, but those you can just feel out.

I'm not really complaining, though. Music books like these have always been this way. They are just a pretty good push in the right direction to get whatever you're trying to learn right, imo...

Rush~On!!! trink39.gif

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Sep 4 2012, 08:44 PM)
QUOTE (mmm_donuts @ Sep 4 2012, 09:31 PM)

tabs have been around longer than the internet.

No matter what anyone says someone helped everyone playing guitar get started by showing them at least some basics like chords and some scales and how to tune it.

I've never heard of members of orchestras taking shits on sheet music since they can learn it from a record. It's ok to use tab - relax.

I think tabs are ridiculously fun. I love figuring the songs out by ear too (I've tabbed several songs and it's so much fun to do) but sight reading tabs is seriously like playing real life guitar hero. It's fun to see if I can nail a line the first time or play through the song and make 100% on expert tongue.gif It's fun! And you learn to play the song in real life too, which is awesome.