No Changes Are Permanent?

Weakly Criminal

This album really doesn't sound like Snakes & Arrows at all, and only sounds like Vapor Trails in a few points.

And to answer your question: GUP, Power WIndows, Hold Your Fire. Or Fly By Night, Caress of Steel, 2112.

QUOTE (Weakly Criminal @ Jun 18 2012, 05:14 PM)
I need at least one reply to sleep well tonight.

bumper.gif

Well if you like the albums then all is well, but if you don't then all is not...

It seems to me though that opinions on these albums vary wildly, such as with people hating Vapor Trails and S&A, which suggests they don't all sound the same.

I would say that the amount of acoustic stuff on S&A and the instrumentals separate it from the other two.

QUOTE (Jomboni @ Jun 18 2012, 05:23 PM)
This album really doesn't sound like Snakes & Arrows at all, and only sounds like Vapor Trails in a few points.

And to answer your question: GUP, Power WIndows, Hold Your Fire.  Or Fly By Night, Caress of Steel, 2112.

Yes,

"Grace Under Pressure", "Power Windows" and "Hold Your Fire".

I second that "Snakes and Arrows" and "Clockwork Angels" do not sound that similar.

Edited by ReGorLaTroy

QUOTE (Jomboni @ Jun 18 2012, 06:23 PM)

And to answer your question: GUP, Power WIndows, Hold Your Fire.  Or Fly By Night, Caress of Steel, 2112.

Agreed - GUP, PW, HYF. Also, COS, 2112, AFTK are sonically similar. As I think about it, Hemispheres is really the only crazy mix album from the classic days (okay, so maybe there is a reason we don't record studio albums outside...), so all of Broon's stuff kind of had that similar Rush sound - albeit with an increasing vocabulary and some experimental sounds. It was the 70s after all. And their playing changed as they mastered their instruments. Think about the difference between now and TFE (Neil is crazy fluid now and the rest of the band reflects it). I suppose that by the time one has been "endlessly rocking" for 40+ years, good ideas percolate to the top which is why I hear a little bit of all of the 70s, 80s, 90s, and 00s in the current record. I can name at least a dozen song similarities on CA, MP, 2112 to previous records.

Even with the change of producers overs the following 25 years, producers only made part of the difference, granted an important one. If they sounded like anyone besides Rush, I'd freak out.

Alternatively, they may just simply get so good, they all pop on stage. Like balloons. But they'd do it in time and it would be visually stunning...

Sleep well. All is well in the Rush universe.

Caress of Steel, 2112, Farewell to Kings

They've has some fairly similar stretches. GUP-HYF, all 3 fairly similar in some ways.

I didnt like the vibe of S&A which was inspired by music they grew up on, which was well before I was born so I couldnt get into it, and this has a little more of a hard rock edge, but its definitely not as different as I thought it would be.

I just think at this point they have certain kinds of songs they like to write, stick to that and just change up the feel here and there. This album definitely feels like a hybrid of VT and S&A so I think at their age they might not be willing to just pull a 180 like they did after Hemispheres. I wished they would with this album since it very well could be the last, just something completely out of left field, but they didnt want to do it. Nothing to really say about it. They do whatever they want.

QUOTE (The Vigilante @ Jun 18 2012, 05:20 PM)
I think .. Signals..GUP... and Power Windows were very similiar in style and sound... Just my opinion i could be wrong but they were all great albums

I include SIGNALS with Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures sound but with obviously more keyboards......The reason? Terry Brown...

People are forgetting about Terry Brown......

GU PW and HYF has the same sound.....

And if you go back to when they released live albums they released them after every 4 albums

RUSH

FLY BY NIGHT

CARESS

LIVE Album All 4 sounded the same

A FAREWELLto KINGS

HEMISPHERES

PERMENENT WAVES

MOVING PICTURES

LIVE ALBUM All 4 were similar

SINGNALS

GRACE

POWER WINDOWS

HOLD YOUR FIRE

Live Album Similar

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 18 2012, 06:49 PM)
They've has some fairly similar stretches. GUP-HYF, all 3 fairly similar in some ways.

I didnt like the vibe of S&A which was inspired by music they grew up on, which was well before I was born so I couldnt get into it, and this has a little more of a hard rock edge, but its definitely not as different as I thought it would be.

I just think at this point they have certain kinds of songs they like to write, stick to that and just change up the feel here and there. This album definitely feels like a hybrid of VT and S&A so I think at their age they might not be willing to just pull a 180 like they did after Hemispheres. I wished they would with this album since it very well could be the last, just something completely out of left field, but they didnt want to do it. Nothing to really say about it. They do whatever they want.

Heck, I remember when there was talk that SIGNALS would be their last album because of the change and the follow up to MP....People didn't like it...I loved SIGNALS and understood why they changed it up....

I really hear the 70's RUSH in CA a lot more than anything that they have done since MP....

I did not listen to VT and SA at the rate I have with CA....it took me 5 spins but The Wreckers is a terrific melodic song with a hook in the chorus....

I remember when they went thicker with Counterparts because of the sound from PRESTO was really thin...Great songs just no meat...

CA is no doubt thicker than SA...Alex wrote all of the SA songs on acoustic guitar...He changed that on CA and added an element that I have been waiting for years, his terrific guitar solos....

Limelight is my favorite and it still has a huge lead over any song with regards to solos.

QUOTE (rrzubnyy @ Jun 18 2012, 08:05 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 18 2012, 06:49 PM)

Heck, I remember when there was talk that SIGNALS would be their last album because of the change and the follow up to MP....People didn't like it...I loved SIGNALS and understood why they changed it up....

I really hear the 70's RUSH in CA a lot more than anything that they have done since MP....

I did not listen to VT and SA at the rate I have with CA....it took me 5 spins but The Wreckers is a terrific melodic song with a hook in the chorus....

I remember when they went thicker with Counterparts because of the sound from PRESTO was really thin...Great songs just no meat...

CA is no doubt thicker than SA...Alex wrote all of the SA songs on acoustic guitar...He changed that on CA and added an element that I have been waiting for years, his terrific guitar solos....

Limelight is my favorite and it still has a huge lead over any song with regards to solos.

With MP they started sucking in a ton of casual fans and that was their absolute peak, and then with Signals is when many of those people lost interest and those that remained were just the hardcore fans that would find a way to like anything they put out.

They were still very young men then, in their 20s so that was a big risk for them to take with such a drastic change at such an early point in their careers, although of course by then it didnt even matter, they already had enough hardcore fans to enable them to keep going even if they put a country album out Ill bet.

But now its just about the end of the line for them. VT and S&A were kind of 1 thing in a sense, and I thought with this album they would throw all the rules out, but I think Geddy is really stuck in his ways of how he likes to write songs now. Not every songs needs a standard issue verse/chorus/verse/chorus structure, and in the past they didnt always write like that, but they're trapped in it now so it just comes across to me as still such a safe rock album, not as adventurous as I hoped for.

You look at songs like Jacobs Ladder. It has no normal structure and only a few lyrics, but its full of all kinds of awesomesauce because its so different and they said a big f**k YOU with that song. Well they're afraid to write stuff like now, when I think NOW is the time for them to be doing that stuff again. But nope, another relatively safe rock album.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 18 2012, 09:11 PM)
QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jun 18 2012, 06:50 PM)
AFTK, HEMI, PEW.

Oh yeah, PeW is a lot like those other 2 albums. >_>

AFTK > Hemispheres > PeW > MP

Disclaimer: remove the epic Hemispheres song itself.

These 4 albums are stylistically and sonically very similar:

1) mono synth lines

2) guitar riffs

3) strong 4/4 with strong odd meters

4) song-oriented structures with some complexity

5) no wall-of sound or cluster chord Alex (some exceptions)

6) and more...

And no way do *any* of the synth-era albums sound similar to any previous or following synth albums.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 18 2012, 07:49 PM)
I didnt like the vibe of S&A which was inspired by music they grew up on, which was well before I was born so I couldnt get into it

Two-thirds of Rush's catalog came out before I was born... must be why I can't get into "Manhattan Project"... tongue.gif

If you don't dig the 60s rock vibe, so, you don't dig it, not gonna argue with that! Only offering a friendly reminder not to write off aging music. Just 'cause you were born too late doesn't mean you can't like it. After all, I wouldn't be here if I hadn't gone looking through my dad's vinyl collection one day... smile.gif

I listened to Signals P/g and PoW back to back. They are completely different albums from a sonic standpoint. Not even close.

FBN and CoS are similar, and Presto RTB sound alike.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jun 18 2012, 10:42 PM)
I listened to Signals P/g and PoW back to back. They are completely different albums from a sonic standpoint. Not even close.

FBN and CoS are similar, and Presto RTB sound alike.

Yeah neither one has any balls!

653.gif