Most Overrated & Most Underrated Tracks on CA

rushgoober

QUOTE (Bangster of Goats @ Jun 20 2012, 04:29 AM)
Overrated:  The Garden.  It's technically a good song, don't get me wrong, but it just doesn't click with me entirely.  I don't do melancholy and somber.  confused13.gif

QUOTE (Bangster of Goats @ Jun 20 2012, 04:35 AM)
but then he's suddenly pensive and gloomy again in The Garden.

Pensive, yes, but I don't see the Garden as melancholy, somber or gloomy AT ALL. I think maybe you just don't like that it's a slower song, or that it's more of a ballad, but it really is none of those things. It's very positive and uplifting.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the best things about Rush and it's corps of fans is the disagreement on favorite songs. The fact that there are so many different types and styles of songs that people grab onto as their favorites.

Most other bands have clear fan favorites and clear duds. Not Rush. Every song on this album (as well as other albums) has a group of fans that think its the best song.

All that tells you is the band is multi-faceted and multi-talented.

2.gif hotdog.gif bacon.gif hotdog.gif bacon.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 18 2012, 08:30 AM)
Most overrated: Carnies

This is a good song, but I've found it hard to connect to just yet personally. I've seen quite a bit of love for this one, and it's rankin. I do love the intro riff that opens the song, but then it seems to just go off in a completely different direction with the verses, which sound a bit 'odd' to me. The bridge section is also very awesome in this song. So, while it's a good song, it's a bottom 3-4 song for me on CA.

Most underrated: Seven Cities of Gold

I've seen a ton of threads now asking people to rank their CA songs in order of their liking, and I've seen Seven Cities consistently showing up in people's bottom 2-3 on the album. That is absolutely mind-boggling to me. This song is fantastic...the lyrics are great, and the music absolutely rocks. The intro to this song is so cool, and then it kicks into Alex's face-melting riff, just awesome. Easily a Top 3-4 song for me on an album full of awesome tunes.

Most overrated: Seven Cities of Gold

Most underrated: Carnies

We are exactly opposite. laugh.gif

I have to jump on The Garden is Overrated bandwagon too. It's a beautiful song. Many have admitted tears to listening to it. For being an emotional person myself, I haven't felt any tears yet... Maybe it's the lyrics are too aware for me, and the fact I'm 29 that adds to the disconnection, but it's not happening for me. I do LOVE listening to it, but I'm not moved by it yet.

ph34r.gif

I would agree with a few other posters on this thread. Wish Them Well is underrated. They are all really good songs on this album but Wish Them Well is one of my favorites and I was surprised at how low it was in some rankings.

I also think the title track, Clockwork Angels, is overrated. In fact, since they will probably cut a couple of songs from the new album on the first leg of the tour at least, this is the one that I would miss the least.

The Garden is nice but I do like a lot of other songs more.

Overall each song is of pretty high quality.

Edited by pablorkcz

QUOTE (pablorkcz @ Jun 20 2012, 07:30 PM)
I also think the title track, Clockwork Angels, is overrated. In fact, since they will probably cut a couple of songs from the new album on the first leg of the tour at least, this is the one that I would miss the least.

Unfortunately for you, that's one of the ones that's pretty much guaranteed not to be cut. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Shreddy Lee @ Jun 20 2012, 04:35 PM)

Unfortunately for you, that's one of the ones that's pretty much guaranteed not to be cut. biggrin.gif

and it will be a highlight smile.gif

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 20 2012, 06:50 PM)

and it will be a highlight smile.gif

Indeed. f***ing BEST song on the album. I like all these cuts so I don't think any of them are overrated.

Yes, I fully expect them to keep Clockwork Angels in the setlist. I do wonder, given how many great songs are on the album, which ones they'll drop. I think BU2B2 is a an easy one to drop since it is only a minute and a half long. Don't get me wrong, I think Clockwork Angels is a swell song and all, I just think that the majority of the other songs on the album are better.

Overrated: The Garden.

Generic as f**k Rush song at best. Mediocre would be giving it too much credit.

Underrated: The Anarchist.

Most of you put it as your over rated. Nope. Even with it being widespread loved, it needs even more. The song is a freakin dynamo and destroys the rest of the album basically. The only people who don't like it are pussies.

QUOTE (UltimoGuitarist @ Jun 21 2012, 12:41 AM)
Overrated: The Garden.

Generic as f**k Rush song at best. Mediocre would be giving it too much credit.

I can see calling it mediocre if you just don't like it, but generic? It's completely unique in the Rush catalog!