Most Overrated & Most Underrated Tracks on CA

rushgoober

Most overrated: The Anarchist

It's a very good song, possibly a great song, but there are several songs on the album that are easily better. On a recent poll it seems to be getting as many or more votes as Clockwork Angels, The Garden, The Wreckers, Headlong Flight and other more worthy songs as fave song on the album. I simply don't get it. Don't get me wrong, it's a VERY strong song, but it's not at the top of the pack of this album. no.gif

Most underrated: Wish Them Well

This was originally touted as one of the weakest, if not the weakest track on the album. It seems opinions of this song once the album actually came out are a bit better than that, but it's rarely put near the top. I think it's an incredibly strong song. I LOVE how powerful and positive the lyrics are. It's much more than just the straight ahead rock song it was originally touted to be. Not the best song on the album, but a great one, and FAR from being among the weakest. yes.gif

Edited by rushgoober

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overrated: The Wreckers. I like it, but I think some people are just falling for the very accessible chorus, leading to it often being placed higher than I think it really deserves. Runner up for this would probably be The Garden (gasp!) which I do think is very good, but still.

Underrated: I'd probably have to agree about Wish Them Well. It's got some solid, strong parts, but it doesn't get a lot of love because it doesn't exactly stand out the way some others do.

Overrated: Clockwork Angels (title track). My opinion may change, but so far it's not grabbing me. It apparently has some diehard fans who are calling it the best song on the album by far... but I'm not getting it.

Underrated: Wish Them Well. In my top four, easy. It doesn't get enough love, with many putting it near the bottom of the heap, if not THE bottom. Sure, it's just a straight-ahead rocker, but it's terrific. It's uptempo with a good vocal melody during the catchy chorus: "Thank your stars you're not that way..."

Then there's "The Garden," which everybody rates very highly, but it DESERVES it! smile.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 18 2012, 06:48 AM)
Most overrated: The Anarchist
It's a very good song, possibly a great song, but there are several songs on the album that are easily better.  On a recent poll it seems to be getting as many or more votes as Clockwork Angels, The Garden, The Wreckers, Headlong Flight and other more worthy songs as fave song on the album.  I simply don't get it.  Don't get me wrong, it's a VERY strong song, but it's not at the top of the pack of this album. no.gif

Most underrated: Wish Them Well
This was originally touted as one of the weakest, if not the weakest track on the album.  It seems opinions of this song once the album actually came out are a bit better than that, but it's rarely put near the top.  I think it's an incredibly strong song.  I LOVE how powerful and positive the lyrics are.  It's much more than just the straight ahead rock song it was originally touted to be.  Not the best song on the album, but a great one, and FAR from being among the weakest. yes.gif

Agree with wish them well. On first listen, it gave an impression of cheesy repetitive pop. The lyrics are great and its such a positive song. Its overtaken some of the songs i liked more, initially.

The anarchist still stands up for me,in fact i like it more now. Drawn to it on 1st listen, and seems that way for lots of people, so may be overrated - time will tell. Have a feeling this whole album, will stand the test of time.

Edited by condemned2bfree

Overrated: Yea, The Anarchist. Its a good song, as they all are. But I don't get all the craziness over it?

Underrated: Carnies -- quite possibly one of the coolest songs in the last ten years from Rush.

I don't know if anything is actually over-rated or under-rated yet. I do know I am skipping a couple songs now. sad.gif

Most overrated: Carnies

This is a good song, but I've found it hard to connect to just yet personally. I've seen quite a bit of love for this one, and it's rankin. I do love the intro riff that opens the song, but then it seems to just go off in a completely different direction with the verses, which sound a bit 'odd' to me. The bridge section is also very awesome in this song. So, while it's a good song, it's a bottom 3-4 song for me on CA.

Most underrated: Seven Cities of Gold

I've seen a ton of threads now asking people to rank their CA songs in order of their liking, and I've seen Seven Cities consistently showing up in people's bottom 2-3 on the album. That is absolutely mind-boggling to me. This song is fantastic...the lyrics are great, and the music absolutely rocks. The intro to this song is so cool, and then it kicks into Alex's face-melting riff, just awesome. Easily a Top 3-4 song for me on an album full of awesome tunes.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 18 2012, 08:30 AM)
Most underrated: Seven Cities of Gold

I've seen Seven Cities consistently showing up in people's bottom 2-3 on the album. That is absolutely mind-boggling to me. This song is fantastic...the lyrics are great, and the music absolutely rocks. The intro to this song is so cool, and then it kicks into Alex's face-melting riff, just awesome. Easily a Top 3-4 song for me on an album full of awesome tunes.

I absolutely LOVE this song musically, especially from a bass perspective, which is what I normally listen for. Geddy is ripping it!

But the lyrics and the vocals aren't doing it for me. Meh. A lot of tracks on CA have good choruses with good vocal melodies, and I'm stoked about that after so many albums WITHOUT good vocal melodies. Unfortunately, "Seven Cities" isn't one of those tracks. Hopefully it'll grow on me, because I really WANT to love it, with all that tasty bass!

Underrated: Carnies and Seven Cities Of Gold.

Overrated: The Garden by a HUGE margin. It's a good song but people are just flipping out way too much over it. I wonder if this love will last and if it's still going to be overly praised like this years down the road or is it just benefiting from "good new song syndrome."

Edited by J2112YYZ

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jun 18 2012, 08:41 AM)
Overrated: The Garden by a HUGE margin. It's a good song but people are just flipping out way too much over it. I wonder if this love will last and if it's still going to be overly praised like this years down the road or is it just benefiting from "good new song syndrome."

I can tell you it's much more than just "good new song" syndrome. There've been a lot of "good, new" Rush songs over the years, including many on this album, but in thirty years no Rush song has made me freaking cry! Really, as much as I've adored Rush all these years, they've never been a band which affected me much emotionally; I've always seen them as more of a "cerebral" band. That changed a little during my first listen to "The Garden."

And I'm not alone by any means. I've read lots of reviews this past week which have also said "'The Garden' made me cry." So while it's not my #1 favorite on the album, it's still a very special Rush song, very unique.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 18 2012, 05:47 AM)
Overrated: Clockwork Angels (title track). My opinion may change, but so far it's not grabbing me. It apparently has some diehard fans who are calling it the best song on the album by far... but I'm not getting it.

Underrated: Wish Them Well. In my top four, easy. It doesn't get enough love, with many putting it near the bottom of the heap, if not THE bottom. Sure, it's just a straight-ahead rocker, but it's terrific. It's uptempo with a good vocal melody during the catchy chorus: "Thank your stars you're not that way..."

Then there's "The Garden," which everybody rates very highly, but it DESERVES it! smile.gif

I agree with wholeheartedly. There are PARTS of CA that I love, but the segues from one section to next seem a bit "rough" to me. Maybe in time I'll get used to them and they won't seem so out of place.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 18 2012, 06:59 AM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jun 18 2012, 08:41 AM)

I can tell you it's much more than just "good new song" syndrome. There've been a lot of "good, new" Rush songs over the years, including many on this album, but in thirty years no Rush song has made me freaking cry! Really, as much as I've adored Rush all these years, they've never been a band which affected me much emotionally; I've always seen them as more of a "cerebral" band. That changed a little during my first listen to "The Garden."

And I'm not alone by any means. I've read lots of reviews this past week which have also said "'The Garden' made me cry." So while it's not my #1 favorite on the album, it's still a very special Rush song, very unique.

It's hard to say anything definitively about how a brand new song will be perceived in months and years to come, but with this one song I'll go out on a limb and say it will be considered a Rush classic for as long as there are Rush fans. It simply has too much going for it lyrically and makes such a definitive statement philosophically. It won't be forgotten.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 18 2012, 12:11 PM)
I don't understand the question.

Who exactly is doing the overrating and underrating?

We've already seen enough of fan reactions to gauge which songs are generally considered near the top and which are considered near the bottom of the heap.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 18 2012, 03:46 PM)
QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 18 2012, 12:11 PM)
I don't understand the question.

Who exactly is doing the overrating and underrating?

We've already seen enough of fan reactions to gauge which songs are generally considered near the top and which are considered near the bottom of the heap.

That's like saying we know who's going to be in the World Series based on records after the first week of the season. laugh.gif

So I guess I still can't answer the question. confused13.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 18 2012, 07:06 AM)
I don't know if anything is actually over-rated or under-rated yet. I do know I am skipping a couple songs now. sad.gif

The Anarchist especially with Geddy's bass has a Permanent Waves type feel in some parts..

I started to listen to RUSH back in 1981....So at that time all I knew was 1981 and prior....After SIGNALS some of the fans left because of keyboards....I still to this day kind of put the 77-81 RUSH as MY STANDARD when rating their new material... Their sound from that era is all over CA....

I love The Anarchist because it sounds like the era I loved.

QUOTE (rrzubnyy @ Jun 18 2012, 07:10 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 18 2012, 07:06 AM)
I don't know if anything is actually over-rated or under-rated yet. I do know I am skipping a couple songs now.  sad.gif

The Anarchist especially with Geddy's bass has a Permanent Waves type feel in some parts..

I started to listen to RUSH back in 1981....So at that time all I knew was 1981 and prior....After SIGNALS some of the fans left because of keyboards....I still to this day kind of put the 77-81 RUSH as MY STANDARD when rating their new material... Their sound from that era is all over CA....

I love The Anarchist because it sounds like the era I loved.

I know I'm not the only one who considers PeW and MP to be THE Rush sound. They experiment, but the further they are from the sound of those two albums, the less "Rush-like" they sound. That's why this album (and CP in the nineties) was so well received: they sound close to typical Rush.