I knew this would happen (eating my words)

Jmo2112

I am mature enough to admit when I've made a mistake. In my open letter posted earlier this week I said that Rush was not giving me a *Rush* anymore. Well, I am eating those words as I type this.

Today on listen number 10 or so while walking around the East Village on a gorgeous spring day it hit me. This is one of the best Rush albums ever. It is certainly the most consistent/strong album since the mid 80s which is saying a hell of a lot.

Seven Cities of Gold? Halo Effect? The Wreckers? These guys are hitting it out of the park!

I should have known better than to offer up my opinion prematurely. Rush are a sneaky band and can creep up on you with an album. And this one is a creeper. Heavy, catchy and Geddy hasn't sounded so alive in ages.

Where Snakes and Arrows kind of fizzled toward the end Clockwork Angels hits with the one two punch of Wish Them Well and The Garden.

As many folks on this forum have already pointed out, this is Rush's 21st Century masterpiece. I'm just a little slow on the uptake.

Really really really excellent work. 2.gif

QUOTE (Jmo2112 @ Jun 16 2012, 08:01 PM)
I am mature enough to admit when I've made a mistake. In my open letter posted earlier this week I said that Rush was not giving me a *Rush* anymore. Well, I am eating those words as I type this.

Today on listen number 10 or so while walking around the East Village on a gorgeous spring day it hit me. This is one of the best Rush albums ever. It is certainly the most consistent/strong album since the mid 80s which is saying a hell of a lot.

Seven Cities of Gold? Halo Effect? The Wreckers? These guys are hitting it out of the park!

I should have known better than to offer up my opinion prematurely. Rush are a sneaky band and can creep up on you with an album. And this one is a creeper. Heavy, catchy and Geddy hasn't sounded so alive in ages.

Where Snakes and Arrows kind of fizzled toward the end Clockwork Angels hits with the one two punch of Wish Them Well and The Garden.

As many folks on this forum have already pointed out, this is Rush's 21st Century masterpiece. I'm just a little slow on the uptake.

Really really really excellent work.  2.gif

Welcome to the majority club! Glad you started loving it! And thanks for admitting that your earlier impressions were a bit premature....takes guts to admit it openly. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Edited by Gedneil Alpeart

It's funny you say this. I have had a similar experience with the last few albums, I listen to them and think, Oh no, I don't really like this. Then after 5 - 10 listens it hits me.

On S&A I just couldn't understand what the fuss was over Workin Them Angels. It just didn't sound good to me. Then about 6 months later it suddenly was my favorite song from the album.

I haven't gotten enough real good listens to CA yet, but I do like it so far, there are a couple of songs that will take a little time to grow in me.

Glad you came around, and kudos for admitting you were wrong.

Enjoy this hard-rocking and AWESOME piece of work from our favorite band!

dont blame you for your previous attitude, no bigger rush fan than myself but snakes was below par for me in spite of having one or two great tracks, so i also was apprehensive before CA's release but yeah you're right they smacked it out the park and reminded us who the daddies are smile.gif

CA is a brilliant album, and maybe a step up in development from anything else they done, which is saying something, but Al in particular is totally outa his box

they even played around with ged's voice a little, particularly in 7 cities, to make him sound really cool again smile.gif

I think it's easy to be dismissive of this album after one or two listens. There is a lot going on here, and it can take a little while to absorb it all. It is a complex work. And it is the first hour long album that has high quality through out like their earlier 30-40 minute albums.

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Jun 17 2012, 08:17 AM)
I think it's easy to be dismissive of this album after one or two listens. There is a lot going on here, and it can take a little while to absorb it all. It is a complex work. And it is the first hour long album that has high quality through out like their earlier 30-40 minute albums.

Yeah, truly, you gotta give this album a chance because of its length and higher complexity compared to recent Rush albums. If after a period of time and fair shakes you dont like it, fine you dont like it and end of story. It requires more accomodation from our minds than assimilation. Plus, it tells a story and I have a feeling that many will like this album more after reading the novel, if they choose.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 17 2012, 08:25 AM)
QUOTE (Merely Space @ Jun 17 2012, 08:17 AM)
I think it's easy to be dismissive of this album after one or two listens.  There is a lot going on here, and it can take a little while to absorb it all.  It is a complex work.  And it is the first hour long album that has high quality through out like their earlier 30-40 minute albums.

Yeah, truly, you gotta give this album a chance because of its length and higher complexity compared to recent Rush albums. If after a period of time and fair shakes you dont like it, fine you dont like it and end of story. It requires more accomodation from our minds than assimilation. Plus, it tells a story and I have a feeling that many will like this album more after reading the novel, if they choose.

I have mixed feelings about the novel. While I think it is really cool that they are doing something fairly unique, I worry about losing room to interpret the album myself.

I couldn't agree more! Wait till you try this: Put it down for a couple of days then come back to it, Everything song will sound even better then you remembered it.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 17 2012, 08:32 AM)
I couldn't agree more! Wait till you try this: Put it down for a couple of days then come back to it, Everything song will sound even better then you remembered it.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Yes, hearing it after a gap makes it sound even better!

QUOTE (Slack jaw gaze @ Jun 17 2012, 09:41 AM)
QUOTE (Merely Space @ Jun 17 2012, 08:29 AM)
I worry about losing room to interpret the album myself.

Easy fix. Don't read it.

Or interpret the shit out of it until the book comes out, then you can compare! yes.gif fun fun fun, yep yep it is!

QUOTE (Slack jaw gaze @ Jun 17 2012, 09:41 AM)
QUOTE (Merely Space @ Jun 17 2012, 08:29 AM)
I worry about losing room to interpret the album myself.

Easy fix. Don't read it.

Well, yeah, that's kind of my point. biggrin.gif