CA: most "great album!" consensus in a while?

zappafrank

So do people think that CA has yielded the highest degree and consensus of positive reviews for a Rush CD in a while? The only real negatives are people being hypersensitive IMO to mastering issues. I don't recall the release of VT and S&A being met with such, "MAMA MIA, MOST AWESOME THING EVER!!! (or at least in a long time)"

QUOTE (zappafrank @ Jun 15 2012, 10:57 AM)
So do people think that CA has yielded the highest degree and consensus of positive reviews for a Rush CD in a while? The only real negatives are people being hypersensitive IMO to mastering issues. I don't recall the release of VT and S&A being met with such, "MAMA MIA, MOST AWESOME THING EVER!!! (or at least in a long time)"

Well I think I've made my opinion known! Best overall 2.gif album since MP!

yes.gif

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 15 2012, 12:02 PM)
So do people think that CA has yielded the highest degree and consensus of positive reviews for a Rush CD in a while?  The only real negatives are people being hypersensitive IMO to mastering issues.  I don't recall the release of VT and S&A being met with such, "MAMA MIA, MOST AWESOME THING EVER!!! (or at least in a long time)"

Well I think I've made my opinion known! Best overall 2.gif album since MP!

yes.gif

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

I have to agree with you. Moving Pictures. I love, absolutely love 11 of the 12 songs.

BU2B2 is the only one I could do without and it's just for effect.

Great album...but I also liked S&A.

Again, I'm a fan of modern Rush, and I liked the 90's albums, so it's tough to just say 'best in awhile'. They've had fantastic albums right up to recently IMO.

But yes, CA certainly is amongst them. It's a great album...strong songs throughout.

There are some who don't like it, but yes, I'd say overall this is the most consensus we've had in a long long time. Vapor Trails and Snakes & Arrows were both much more divisive: lots of lovers, but also lots of haters for both. That's not nearly the case with Clockwork Angels; this is probably the most well-received Rush album, overall, since the invention of the Internets [sic]. wink.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 15 2012, 10:25 AM)
So do people think that CA has yielded the highest degree and consensus of positive reviews for a Rush CD in a while?  The only real negatives are people being hypersensitive IMO to mastering issues.  I don't recall the release of VT and S&A being met with such, "MAMA MIA, MOST AWESOME THING EVER!!! (or at least in a long time)"

There are some who don't like it, but yes, I'd say overall this is the most consensus we've had in a long long time. Vapor Trails and Snakes & Arrows were both much more divisive: lots of lovers, but also lots of haters for both. That's not nearly the case with Clockwork Angels; this is probably the most well-received Rush album, overall, since the invention of the Internets [sic]. wink.gif

actually not on this board or counterparts. Same reaction, same pronouncements, etc..

It wasn't until months later that the S&A blowback started. Let's see where we are all at after the tour.

QUOTE (Alchemical @ Jun 15 2012, 08:55 PM)
S&A was hailed as fantastic upon its release.

Maybe not to this degree though... confused13.gif

Not by me it wasn't. It is a VERY hit and miss record where CA is a hit and hit record. No comparison.

QUOTE (Alchemical @ Jun 15 2012, 08:55 PM)

Maybe not to this degree though... confused13.gif

S & A was received so well because it came on the heels of VT. Everyone was nervous of a repeat performance. Hence, upon release of S & A everyone was elated that it was nothing like VT, specially the sound. However CA is strong on many levels, The Sound is good, and lyrics are great as are the songs. Actually their songs are the main reason for the increase in approval from fans. That and the fact that it sounds finally like 2.gif . S & A lacked the prowess demonstrated on this album. Clockwrok Angels is powerful and has great musicianship again.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Every new Rush album on here gets the new car treatment: "OH MY GOD THIS IS THE GREATEST MOST FANTASTIC THING IVE EVER HEARD SINCE MOVING PICTURES!!"

And while some may really feel that way, after some time passes there are some who burn themselves out on it or just don't feel the same way anymore.

I'm pretty sure every message board for bands that have been around a long time reacts the same way to new albums. The uber-fans go nuts while the casual ones sort of react skeptically.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 15 2012, 11:27 PM)
S&A was the same way.....this album is fresh. Lets see how it holds up over time....

I WANT to love this album. I really really do. I just can't get into the music they put to Neil's story. And I'm not capable of forcing myself to like something when it comes to music.

QUOTE (jnoble @ Jun 15 2012, 11:30 PM)
S&A was the same way.....this album is fresh. Lets see how it holds up over time....

I WANT to love this album. I really really do. I just can't get into the music they put to Neil's story. And I'm not capable of forcing myself to like something when it comes to music.

More power to ya then, There are 19 other 2.gif albums for you to listen too.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

since getting the album yesterday,i just cannot stop playing it biggrin.gif i feel a lot more connected to it than with the last 2 albums (no offence meant,i just couldn't get into them.they weren't bad albums by any means). as one of my favorite albums is counterparts (it was the first rush album i bought after chronicles) i can hear a lot of that on the new album (might just be me though). they definitely didn't hold back when making this biggrin.gif

QUOTE (jnoble @ Jun 15 2012, 10:30 PM)

I like about half of it....

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 16 2012, 06:22 AM)
QUOTE (Alchemical @ Jun 16 2012, 10:55 AM)

Dig up the old 2007 S&A threads here and you'll find plenty of negative comments.

trink39.gif

Exactly! There was plenty of "negative" to go 'round.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 16 2012, 05:15 AM)
So you've actually gone back and looked at the threads from when S&A came out? Or are you just going by what you "remember," too?

Yes, GR, I did go back and read the threads, and so can you. And when you do, you'll see what I mean.