07 - Best Song From Permanent Waves

RushRevisited

What do you think is the best song from this album?  

1297 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the best song from this album?

• The Spirit of Radio
    • Freewill
    • Jacob's Ladder
    • Entre Nous
    • Different Strings
    • Natural Science

Probably my favorite Rush album; every song is awesome!

I went with "Natural Science" - it's got everything that makes Rush Rush, IMO.

i voted for natural science. i started a thead about it being their greatest song ever. technically and lyrically i think it is, however, entre nouse is my personal favorite song because of personal reasons. RUSH is a mood thang!!! 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

jacobs ladder......for a long time i ignored this song,but i've got back into it,simple riffs,but how effective not overly complicated either,a gem somewhat overlooked smile.gif

Going back and listening to this album start to finish leaves me with quite a puzzle. They are all great! Spirit of the Radio was one of my early favorites, for some reason the "invisible airwaves" part has always given me goosebumpts, even when I was little. Freewill is a great song with great lyrics and great playing. Not only does that have some of the best lead guitar work on the album, but the bass during the solo is unearthly. Jacob's Ladder has recently become one of my suprise favorites, I love the epic feel, the synth arrangements, and the odd meter. Entre Nous is a cool song with riffs that are catchy, and a chorus that is odd meter-wise but still pulls you in. Different Strings is another cool, well arranged song.

I actually daresay on a spectacular album, Natural Science still pretty much stands above the rest though. It has a moody, atmospheric introduction. The way it builds from a whisper to "Wheels within wheels..." to the hyperactive and jittery "a quantum leap forward" part is amazing. It builds more than once, and never lets you down. It doesn't feel like it is almost ten minutes long. The first solo is incredible, one of Alex's best period. Everyone shines in this song.

I voted for Freewill, but I like it and Spirit Of Radio pretty much the same. The both have a great riff, great guitar solos, and one really awesome part ("...words of the profit..." and "Each of us...").

Ah, I remember this LP! It had just been delivered to the record store & they hadn't even opened up the boxes yet & I grabbed the 1st copy. I'm going with The Spirit Of Radio on this one, because that's where the "real" fun began.

"Freewill". Only beaten out by "Available Light" off of Presto for the title of being my favorite 2.gif song ever.

I don't understand the massive affection for "Natural Science". Where are the great hooks? Where is the massively catchy chorus? It's a good song, make no mistake, but it's not "Freewill"- or "The Spirit of Radio"-class, just in my opinion.