07 - Best Song From Permanent Waves

RushRevisited

What do you think is the best song from this album?  

1297 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the best song from this album?

• The Spirit of Radio
    • Freewill
    • Jacob's Ladder
    • Entre Nous
    • Different Strings
    • Natural Science

This is the famous Rush-Shifted-Styles album. Entre Nous kinda still had a reminisce of earlier albums, but the whole album is good. I have a cd I made (for my own listening of course)

La Villa Strangiato

The Spirit Of Radio

Freewill

Jacob's Ladder

Entre Nous

Different Strings

Natural Science/Tom Sawyer (both on same track)

(I) Tide Pools

(II) Hyperspace

(III) Permanent Waves

then some other songs...

Tupac - Changes

Blind Melon - Changes

3 Doors Down - Changes

Black Sabbath - Changes

Good Charlotte - Changes

yes - Changes

mainly because of the massive overplay of Moving Pictures when it was released. I got so used to hearing red barchetta after Tom sawyer and on to YYZ, ... that I had to somehow seperate my listening between the 2 songs. It works good with the changes songs after the line in Tom sawyer, "...But Change Is..."

QUOTE (TheRushiac @ Sep 27 2006, 02:55 PM)
Permanent waves is one of five albums that i hold close to me so it is hard to really choose a song wacko.gif .so I went with "Natural Science" because I love the guitar/bass play in it...it blew me away as a lil kid, and it still does...and may i add It was awsome on Rush In Rio! "Entre Nous" and "Different Strings" were the other two that i was thinking about choosing but i don't like em as much today smile.gif, "Jacob's Ladder" also has great guitar/bass play and i always get grand visions when listening to it ...and as to why i didn't pick "Spirit of the Radio" or "Freewill"...i thought they were understood favorites laugh.gif

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (The Rocinante @ Sep 27 2006, 08:56 PM)
I love Freewill and The Spirit of Radio, but Jacob's Ladder is far better then both of them confused13.gif

JL has great atmosphere!

1.Natural Science - I love this song. It starts off all peaceful and slow, and then explodes into a heavy, awesome, long, masterpiece! I do like the lyrics in this song, but I like this song for the actual music more, so I don't really have a favorite lyric in it, I just like it all.

2. Different Strings - The lyrics in this song are great, and the guitar is awesome. Favorite lyric: "What happened to our innocence, did it go out of style? Along with our naivette, no longer a child. Different eyes see diferent things, different hearts, beat on different strings."

3. Entre Nous - The start of the song is really cool. I like the flow of the song. My favorite lyric: "We are secrets to each other, each one's life a novel no one else has read."

The Spirit of Radio and Natural Science: Rock out on the Different Stages.. they sound better...

The Spirit of Radio always gets me going in the morning.

Jacob's Ladder, Freewill

The Spirit of Radio

'Twas the first Rush song I ever heard (although, unbeknownst to me at the time, I had heard By-Tor whilst at a cousin's house some years before...) and is not only my favourite Rush track but my favourite song of all time bar none biggrin.gif

But oh how I wish Different Strings didn't fade out sad.gif laugh.gif

This is probably the most difficult choice to make. How do you choose between so many masterpieces? Entre Nous? Spirit of Radio? Jacobs Ladder? If these tracks were on different albums then they would be my number one choice.

But on this album, I have to go with Natural Science.

I have to go with Spirit of Radio, because it's such a classic. That's a good song for an alarm clock to play.... It's one of my faves, and one of Rush's most-played songs EVER. The intro riff.... Wowzers. Don't I wish I could play like that. I'd just sit and play all day, just to listen to myself.

Really hard decision...

Love both Natural Science and Freewill, but chose NS, as it is a little longer and has serveral style changes in it... it is definitely on of Rush's masterpieces, with them on top of their game.

Then again, Freewill flat out rocks! When the solo section comes in, its like a three-ring circus - each instrument part is like a solo in its own right... three solos on top of each other - which part do I listen to?! Quintessential Rush!