Live "surprises" for CA tour?

CrimsonE

One thing that I like about Rush is that they're willing to pull a few surprises from their catalog. Last time was the following songs:

Presto: Never done live

Time Stand Still: Last on the CP tour

Marathon: Last on the Presto tour

Camera Eye: not exactly a surprise, but hadn't been done since the Signals tour.

So what surprises (or not so surprising returns) do you think they'll pull off this time around? Here are some I'd like to see:

Alien Shore: They've never done this one live, and it has a similar feel to much of Clockwork Angels.

Territories: I've always wanted this one to return to the set.

High Water: A truly underrated song from HYF, I was disappointed that it didn't make the setlist.

Losing It: Perhaps my favorite Rush song that has never been played live.

Show Don't Tell: I thought they'd bring this one back on the last tour, and I'd like to see it make its return

Countdown: This has an awesome feel to it, and it would be a bit poignant considering the space shuttle program is dead.

Nobody's Hero: A truly fun lush song. I think it would be awesome to hear an acoustic version of this song.

Lakeside Park: Another song that would work well accoustically. Plus, if they were to break this one out, they'd almost certainly have at least 1/4th of the crowd pass out from sheer ecstasy.

Jacob's Ladder: I could be wrong, but I remember reading that they wanted to bring this back on the Time Machine tour but wasn't able to fit it in. This would be a great chance to bring it back out.

Edited by CrimsonE

I honestly thought that Lakeside Park would have snuck into the set when they were playing around with the acoustic part...but since they've apparently dropped that segment I'm guessing it's unlikely.

I was curious about Countdown since the Shuttle program just ended...sort of a retro kind of thing.

I'm hoping for Jacob's Ladder, that one was always a favorite off of one of my favorite albums! (I actually like Permanent Waves more than MP)

I really would love to see them reach deeper into the vaults for at least ONE tune, or an "oldies" medley at the end of the show. Heck, I was overly thrilled that they've been doing Working Man since years back Neil said in an article that they stopped doing it, and he didn't ever see it surfacing again.

Not overly interested in hearing anything past GuP though.... Maybe something crazy like Double Agent again... I wouldn't mind Driven, either, that was good live! (BASS SOLO icon_alienjig.gif )

Four words.

Cut. To. The. Chase.

!!!

I know Neil mentioned in his latest interview with Rolling Stone (GASP! ohmy.gif ) that they were probably going to do as much of CA as possible. That only leaves about 2 hours worth of time to fill. I'm hoping that they decide to do "deeper" cuts, like "Kid Gloves" or "Emotion Detector." That being said, if they did "Cut To The Chase" I might have a religious experience...or an orgasm. tongue.gif

Good Call, Kelly D! 1022.gif 1022.gif

(P.S. "Middletown Dreams" would probably curl my toes as well. wub.gif )

QUOTE (CrimsonE @ Jun 14 2012, 09:56 AM)
Countdown:  This has an awesome feel to it, and it would be a bit poignant considering the space shuttle program is dead.

Lakeside Park:  Another song that would work well accoustically.  Plus, if they were to break this one out, they'd almost certainly have at least 1/4th of the crowd pass out from sheer ecstasy. 

Jacob's Ladder:  I could be wrong, but I remember reading that they wanted to bring this back on the Time Machine tour but wasn't able to fit it in.  This would be a great chance to bring it back out.

Great songs. Unfortunately, Neil wants to leave Jacob's Ladder in the past, Geddy can't stand Lakeside Park anymore, and they both think Countdown was a failure. sad.gif I'm holding out hope for a change of heart in JL's case.

Some other "pretty much no chance" songs I'd love to see them play are Alien Shore, Vapor Trail, The Color of Right, Emotion Detector, and Available Light. VT might have a decent shot, actually.

Analog Kid

Jacob's Ladder

Middletown Dreams

Grand Designs

Afterimage

Turn The Page

Prime Mover

Lock & Key

Show Don't Tell

Hemispheres ("Prelude" at least)

Xanadu (in full)

Something For Nothing

Where's My Thing?

Color Of Right

Cut To The Chase

Double Agent

I would be SUPER happy if at least HALF of these get played yes.gif

QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Jun 14 2012, 02:55 PM)
Analog Kid
Jacob's Ladder
Middletown Dreams
Grand Designs
Afterimage
Turn The Page
Prime Mover
Lock & Key
Show Don't Tell
Hemispheres ("Prelude" at least)
Xanadu (in full)
Something For Nothing
Where's My Thing?
Color Of Right
Cut To The Chase
Double Agent

I would be SUPER happy if at least HALF of these get played yes.gif

This goodpost.gif Any of those tunes would leave me being a happy camper! All though I would replace Show Don't Tell with Losing It. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif 2.gif

Because of Signals 30th anniversary, I would love for The Analog Kid and The Weapon to get played. A lot of fans have been calling for Cut To The Chase since CP was released, so I hope that makes the set to since it's my favorite song off my favorite Rush album. For some reason I think Manhattan Project has a chance of coming back and since they didn't do anything off GUP last tour, I would love to hear The Enemy Within or The Body Electric.

And if they figured out a way to re-work A Farewell To Kings and Geddy could pull it off in some way vocally, I would die if they played it. But more than likely that's not happening sad.gif

Dammit, why does this band have to have so many amazing songs?! confused13.gif

QUOTE (default236 @ Jun 14 2012, 11:28 PM)
QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 14 2012, 10:05 AM)
Four words.

Cut. To. The. Chase.

!!!

I'm good with anything from Counterparts. Come on!! Surprise me already! fists crying.gif 653.gif 1022.gif

I'm glad we got two from Counterparts last tour, but I wanna hear "CTTC" or "Animate"!!!

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 14 2012, 10:33 PM)
I'm glad we got two from Counterparts last tour, but I wanna hear "CTTC" or "Animate"!!!

As much as I love Animate on the CP album, it does not translate nearly as well to me live. The tempo seems slower.

I've been advocating CTTC as one they should break out for years, and I'm very surprised they haven't in the last couple of tours given how the heavyness of that song would seem to go along with the heavier writing style that they have employed in the last few years. And yet, nothing...I think they either have completely forgotten about it or just don't like the song for whatever reason.

Anyhow lets hope it gets on the setlist this time out.

Cut, Farewell, Middletown, Enemy Within, Kid Gloves, Lessons (I know it's not happening but I can dream), By Tor, Different Strings, Weapon, Losing It, Totem, Open Secrets, Force 10, Prime Mover, Available Light, Chain Lightning, Sweet Miracle, The Big Wheel, Chemistry, and to be obvious Xanadu.

QUOTE (aaronrusso @ Jun 15 2012, 01:08 AM)
probably wishful thinking, but afterimage would be amazing, probably wouldnt be played because of the emotional impact of the song but maybe theyd dedicate it to andrew mcnaughton

That has run across my mind for sure.

As a tribute, I wouldn't be surprised.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 15 2012, 08:51 AM)
QUOTE (aaronrusso @ Jun 15 2012, 12:08 AM)
probably wishful thinking, but afterimage would be amazing, probably wouldnt be played because of the emotional impact of the song but maybe theyd dedicate it to andrew mcnaughton

too depressing a song for concert.

A Rush fan can tear up once in awhile!