Overall sound of CA

Gompers

Like VT, does CA have some sound issues you detect?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Like VT, does CA have some sound issues you detect?

• Yes
    • Yes and I am good with it
    • I can't really tell
    • No, it is a great mix
    • Tick
    • Treeduck

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 13 2012, 01:42 PM)
QUOTE (tjtull @ Jun 13 2012, 01:42 PM)
Snakes was just bad and CA just sounds bad.

Seriously?

Snakes sounded bad sonically? (aside from song writing preference)

Dude...seriously?

You took my post COMPLETELY out of context....thanks!

QUOTE (tjtull @ Jun 13 2012, 02:47 PM)

Seriously?

Dude...seriously?

Sorry, that is how I read it.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 13 2012, 01:48 PM)

Seriously?

Dude...seriously?

Not in the context of a reply to another person's post.

QUOTE (tjtull @ Jun 13 2012, 02:49 PM)

Seriously?

Dude...seriously?

I see, as if in quotes.

i.e. "Snakes was bad".

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 13 2012, 01:51 PM)

Seriously?

Dude...seriously?

I see, as if in quotes.

i.e. "Snakes was bad".

yes.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (UltimoGuitarist @ Jun 13 2012, 01:46 PM)
That's my main complaint that it sounds VERY wavy at times, like the sound is all over the place and disorienting. Also the fact that the guitars are buried big time.

That's what it sounds like.

To me, when listening to music, one should be able to hear every instrument and what is being played, distinctly and clearly. There is a reason Neil "may" be playing ghost notes and splash cymbals. I'm sure its intended to be heard.

Many seem to disagree about the importance of that. Hence all the fun posts and troll calling.

QUOTE (tjtull @ Jun 13 2012, 02:53 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 13 2012, 01:51 PM)

Seriously?

Dude...seriously?

I see, as if in quotes.

i.e. "Snakes was bad".

yes.gif

trink39.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Jun 13 2012, 01:55 PM)
That's my main complaint that it sounds VERY wavy at times, like the sound is all over the place and disorienting. Also the fact that the guitars are buried big time.

To me, when listening to music, one should be able to hear every instrument and what is being played, distinctly and clearly. There is a reason Neil "may" be playing ghost notes and splash cymbals. I'm sure its intended to be heard.

Many seem to disagree about the importance of that. Hence all the fun posts and troll calling.

I'd really like to find out just where you can't hear Neil in this mix. I've listened over and over and can hear everything.

I'm truly interested in finding out where people think some of the instrumentation is indiscernible. I honestly hear them all.

QUOTE (tjtull @ Jun 13 2012, 02:03 PM)

I'd really like to find out just where you can't hear Neil in this mix. I've listened over and over and can hear everything.

I'm truly interested in finding out where people think some of the instrumentation is indiscernible. I honestly hear them all.

Well, where to start.

First, is it possible I have a bad cd? Is that even possible? I did entertain the possibility that my ears are not the same after 30 years of drumming, but as I mentioned above I have checked them. Other albums remain crystal clear.

So are your ears so shot that this sounds normal and good to you? I don't know. If your ears are good, and you don't hear very poor sound quality in every song, throughout the entire song, except for some quieter parts then I have a bad cd.

I could list everything. I've named some things in other threads. But I don't think listing everything will help. If you can't hear the glaring sound quality issues, my pointing them out won't help. I'm baffled honestly. Add clipping and make it freakishly loud and this would be VT quality.

I'm baffled you guys don't hear this. Is my cd bad?

Guess I'm happy for you. When I listen I get mad because the sound detracts so much from what is there best since MP.

Live should be great.

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Jun 13 2012, 02:23 PM)

Well, where to start.

First, is it possible I have a bad cd? Is that even possible? I did entertain the possibility that my ears are not the same after 30 years of drumming, but as I mentioned above I have checked them. Other albums remain crystal clear.

So are your ears so shot that this sounds normal and good to you? I don't know. If your ears are good, and you don't hear very poor sound quality in every song, throughout the entire song, except for some quieter parts then I have a bad cd.

I could list everything. I've named some things in other threads. But I don't think listing everything will help. If you can't hear the glaring sound quality issues, my pointing them out won't help. I'm baffled honestly. Add clipping and make it freakishly loud and this would be VT quality.

Guess I'm happy for you. When I listen I get mad because the sound detracts so much from what is there best since MP.

Live should be great.

Nah, your CD is fine. I'm sure you know that, but I know what you're trying to say. You listen to this back to back with Counterparts and it's a world of difference.

This album sounds great on my headphones, but there's no doubting that it's not as clear as it could be. I'm sure there are little nuances we're missing out on because of the mix. I think some people just don't really bother with it as much as others. But that's just what I think.

Well, where to start.

Live should be great.

Can you point out an instance or two? Surely if there are so many one or two examples will be easy to find. Give me the song and the minute:second mark (or span of time). I'm not trying to be a smartass, I truly can hear everything pretty clearly...and no, my hearing isn't 100% either.

QUOTE (tjtull @ Jun 13 2012, 02:32 PM)

Well, where to start.

Live should be great.

Can you point out an instance or two? Surely if there are so many one or two examples will be easy to find. Give me the song and the minute:second mark (or span of time). I'm not trying to be a smartass, I truly can hear everything pretty clearly...and no, my hearing isn't 100% either.

I'll try to do that this evening when I get some time to pick out some parts.

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Jun 13 2012, 02:36 PM)
QUOTE (tjtull @ Jun 13 2012, 02:32 PM)

Well, where to start.

Live should be great.

Thanks! Just a couple, I'm not looking to make this a huge project for you wink.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 13 2012, 02:44 PM)
QUOTE (BriGuy @ Jun 13 2012, 01:58 PM)
Not an audiophile, don't have high end equipment. Not listening for tech, listening for the music. And I'd tend to think music is by its nature "imperfect."

You can only polish something so much before the polishing action itself becomes damaging.

I like what I hear.

See, BriGuy gets it! applaudit.gif

laugh.gif

Yo.

Not everyone is bashing the album on a musical sense. The music is great. But those of us (speaking for myself I am a musician, and someone who loves high quality sonic soundscapes which Rush is very well known for) who like to talk about the sonic quality of the album are doing so.

Now the posts that bash it calling is dog shit, crap, junk.....meh I ignore those.

But those members that have the ability to respectfully articulate their feelings about the overall production are doing so.

The production is not perfect. The sound is good and in some areas it is great. But some aspects are not as good and it just a discussion about production, not performance nor song quality.

Strictly sound quality.

When I listen to albums I can compare as far as style to this one from Rush.....sonically it falls a little short to albums like (and I am not talking about songs)

Counterparts

Snakes and Arrows

Moving Pictures

Permanent Waves

Hemispheres

Grace Under Pressure

To me this album has so much of those vibes and song approaches going on in various spots. And soncially all those albums were better. In fact far better.

Also I love the fact that on Clockwork Angels the band went back to the more organic approach of just a left and right guitar (not walls of guitars and layers upon layers of vocals and even bass) and no guitar rhythm track overdubs over the solo sections.

What I am hearing though is sometimes with the strings added to the mix it get's a little muddy at higher volume levels. On lower volume levels the album sounds much better. Neils drums on many occasions is buried in the mix and not center like he normally has been on just about every albums they have ever made (VT everything was a hot mess).

I am still waiting for my vinyl (which I got the shipping notice for yesterday) to hear that version as well.

I love the album, sonically it is good not great. And it could have been better.

Sometimes I think some fans here get confused when we are having a production critique as opposed to a songwriting critique.

IMO after over a dozen listens Clockwork Angels is one of the 10 best Rush albums ever.....along with Snake and Arrows.

But sonically it is not in the same top 10.

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (Todem @ Jun 13 2012, 04:23 PM)
Not an audiophile, don't have high end equipment. Not listening for tech, listening for the music. And I'd tend to think music is by its nature "imperfect."

You can only polish something so much before the polishing action itself becomes damaging.

I like what I hear.

laugh.gif

Yo.

Not everyone is bashing the album on a musical sense. The music is great. But those of us (speaking for myself I am a musician, and someone who loves high quality sonic soundscapes which Rush is very well known for) who like to talk about the sonic quality of the album are doing so.

Now the posts that bash it calling is dog shit, crap, junk.....meh I ignore those.

But those members that have the ability to respectfully articulate their feelings about the overall production are doing so.

The production is not perfect. The sound is good and in some areas it is great. But some aspects are not as good and it just a discussion about production, not performance nor song quality.

Strictly sound quality.

When I listen to albums I can compare as far as style to this one from Rush.....sonically it falls a little short to albums like (and I am not talking about songs)

Counterparts

Snakes and Arrows

Moving Pictures

Permanent Waves

Hemispheres

Grace Under Pressure

To me this album has so much of those vibes and song approaches going on in various spots. And soncially all those albums were better. In fact far better.

Also I love the fact that on Clockwork Angels the band went back to the more organic approach of just a left and right guitar (not walls of guitars and layers upon layers of vocals and even bass) and no guitar rhythm track overdubs over the solo sections.

What I am hearing though is sometimes with the strings added to the mix it get's a little muddy at higher volume levels. On lower volume levels the album sounds much better. Neils drums on many occasions is buried in the mix and not center like he normally has been on just about every albums they have ever made (VT everything was a hot mess).

I am still waiting for my vinyl (which I got the shipping notice for yesterday) to hear that version as well.

I love the album, sonically it is good not great. And it could have been better.

Sometimes I think some fans here get confused when we are having a production critique as opposed to a songwriting critique.

IMO after over a dozen listens Clockwork Angels is one of the 10 best Rush albums ever.....along with Snake and Arrows.

Good post, although we may disagree on tastes.

It's not terrible sounding and isn't the worst I've heard. I just think it could have been better. That's it. I'm not bashing Rush or their effort. For the umpteenth time, this is probably my favorite Rush album since PoW.

QUOTE (marblesmike @ Jun 13 2012, 03:49 PM)
QUOTE (Todem @ Jun 13 2012, 04:23 PM)

I like what I hear.

laugh.gif

Yo.

Strictly sound quality.

Counterparts

Snakes and Arrows

Moving Pictures

Permanent Waves

Hemispheres

Grace Under Pressure

Good post, although we may disagree on tastes.

It's not terrible sounding and isn't the worst I've heard. I just think it could have been better. That's it. I'm not bashing Rush or their effort. For the umpteenth time, this is probably my favorite Rush album since PoW.

It's a great mix, it might be a bit bassy at time if you're listening to it through a major sound system. Overall it's awsome!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (marblesmike @ Jun 13 2012, 04:49 PM)

ohmy.gif

What? It's not the best ever...so you're saying everything before PoW was better??

Everybody...get him! 1287.gif

sarcasm.gif

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Jun 13 2012, 07:23 PM)

Well, where to start.

Live should be great.

I agree, the songs will hopefully really come to life live.

Maybe the temptation to master it to death might be less

and they won't let Brian "Big Bass" Gardner anywhere near it.

I mean really since when is the mastering technician more

important than letting the songs breath ...???

I can't understand why there are so many different opinions

with a lot of people saying that they can hear everything.

(Maybe us musicians are looking for too much... ??)

At times I'm turning the whole thing up to hear either the lyrics,

the drums or the guitars.

It's then way too loud in certain sections.

Take for example The Garden, I have to turn the volume up to hear the strings,......and then it's fine.

As soon as the louder guitar kicks in on the G minor it's all way too loud or certainly above what I can comfortably listen to....

That section later on on the song is at a lower volume and fine.

Parts of Carnies and Seven Cities are just muddy...

You shouldn't have to invest in an expensive stereo to listen to the album comfortably.

In fact it should be mastered in such a way so that the listener can modify the sound to their taste rather than try to" fix" the compression and fight the "loudness war" themselves...

I read an interview with Alex that said they were really de-layering the sound just so you could hear all of the instruments...

Removing the nashville acoustics under the electrics and rhythm guitars

under the solos.

Maybe that's why I'm disappointed ...cause it's not turned out like that..

Perhaps they did alter the recording techniques but they were let down by either the mixing or the mastering or maybe both .... at different times.

If you read page 36 in the Fan Pack Magazine Nick says that he was travelling down from where he lives in Nashville to LA and mixing the Rush album in the morning and then recording the Deftones album in the afternoon.

He said he wasn't complaining about the workload ..... well I am !

I really think he's bringing a lot to the party (having a fan in the camp) but maybe...just maybe.... he's a little too young and over confident.

There......... I've said it... !

A real shame as I believe this is their best since MP.

I really love the songs on this album and I get frustrated listening to it in certain sections (or trying to)

The lyrics are great and the song writing has really matured.

Bring on the Live album or the 5.1 or whatever, this definitely needs to be re-mixed or re-mastered...

QUOTE (tjtull @ Jun 13 2012, 02:43 PM)
QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Jun 13 2012, 02:36 PM)

Thanks! Just a couple, I'm not looking to make this a huge project for you wink.gif

This is what I was going to suggest. Those who think CA sounds so terrible should pick maybe one song and then list out the problems: for example, 1) can't hear the hi-hat in verse one, 2) can't hear Geddy's vocals in verse two, etc.

The only issue I hear so far is that CA may be mastered a little louder and with more compression than I was hoping for. It's not as loud as the CD single for Caravan/BU2B, luckily, but it IS a bit hotter than S&A which I thought was pretty darn good for a modern CD.

Thanks to the Volume War, CDs have been getting louder and more compressed over time. Just compare your original Rush CDs to the remastered versions. I still prefer the originals. Some, like Presto, are mastered at ridiculously low levels tongue.gif but I'd still rather have them too quiet than too loud and compressed.

So, yes, I do wish they had mastered CA more along the lines of S&A, but it's not a glaring problem to my ears. And note that this is separate from the MIXING issues some are talking about, like not hearing the hi-hat or ride cymbals. I'm not getting this at all, so it would be good to hear some specific examples.

Edited by They Bow Defeated