Bernie Grundman

Terrapin

For mastering a brilliant album so dreadfully...

I'm sorry, but I have listened to the ACTUAL CD several times now and it really, truly sucks as regards the sonic clarity.

I can almost forgive Nick R and all his enthusiasm, "conducting" prowess, but whatever multi-tracks he passed on to Bernie have been sonically destroyed with over compression.

Do the boys care? I don't know. Perhaps they're thinking that having done their collective best in the studio, Nick and Bernie would sort it all out for them...

On the other hand, maybe this mess of a production is par the course these days and Rush are just going along with it as a Foo Fighting, "measure of the time"

Regardless, the album is a complete and utter sonic mess...

Over to you Peter Collins ...

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair it's pretty bad but not unbearable. Someone ran a dynamic range test on it and it had a DR6 rating... That's pretty bad. Meanwhile, the vinyl has a DR11 rating. Who's unarmed now?

For the record I love the album; I just wish it didn't give me a headache every time I want to crank it :-)

I'm sorry, but the mastering is appalling. I'm a massive Fanboy or "Fanboi" whatever... but this thing sounds like a carefully executed fart trying to escape from a well weaved, 3-ply piece of perfumed toilet paper...

Songs are great, performances are great as well.

Such a shame, it could have been immense!

Agreed. I just do not understand how such a sonic abortion could have been allowed to happen again. Did the band learn nothing from VT? I just dont think they care, which is sad. Let Steven Wilson master it and it'll sound fantastic!

QUOTE (Terrapin @ Jun 12 2012, 07:12 PM)
I'm sorry, but the mastering is appalling. I'm a massive Fanboy or "Fanboi" whatever... but this thing sounds like a carefully executed fart trying to escape from a well weaved, 3-ply piece of perfumed toilet paper...

Songs are great, performances are great as well.

Such a shame, it could have been immense!

If this is appaling what the hell do you call Vapor Trails? tongue.gif

QUOTE (Terrapin @ Jun 12 2012, 06:38 PM)

I'm sorry, but I have listened to the ACTUAL CD several times now and it really, truly sucks as regards the sonic clarity.

I can almost forgive Nick R and all his enthusiasm, "conducting" prowess, but whatever multi-tracks he passed on to Bernie have been sonically destroyed with over compression.

Do the boys care? I don't know. Perhaps they're thinking that having done their collective best in the studio, Nick and Bernie would sort it all out for them...

On the other hand, maybe this mess of a production is par the course these days and Rush are just going along with it as a Foo Fighting, "measure of the time"

Good God, the audiophiles with the golden ear who all know better than the professionals that RUSH hires.

"why don't they hire me??"

Enough with the "I know better than working industry professionals" crap.

You don't.

I guess you didn't hear the door slamming behind all the Trolls as they dragged themselves back into their caves....We don't care! We know its good! There's really nothing you can say that would really be relevant. You're preaching to a choir of trolls!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ Jun 12 2012, 07:20 PM)

I can almost forgive Nick R and all his enthusiasm, "conducting" prowess, but whatever multi-tracks  he passed on to Bernie have been sonically destroyed with over compression.

Good God, the audiophiles with the golden ear who all know better than the professionals that RUSH hires.

"why don't they hire me??"

Enough with the "I know better than working industry professionals" crap.

You don't.

The "industry professionals" merely master stuff as loud as posssible these days. They DO know better, they just dont care about dynamic range anymore. Its all about being louder than the next guy. They know that by doing so, they're not going to end up with an audiophile quality album. You dont have to be a mastering engineer to be able to measure a brickwalled album. Maybe you should take the time to learn about these kind of things instead of just critisizing out of ignorance?

Where's the obligatory posting of the waveform images?

http://i46.tinypic.com/2wpum1h.jpg

It's going to be a long summer, that's for sure. eyesre4.gif I predict this mastering complaint and the "faith bashing" accusation will be the two rallying cries for the CA haterz. I guess they have to latch onto something since CA is obviously shaping up as a near-classic for Rush.

QUOTE (ak2112 @ Jun 13 2012, 12:13 AM)
Agreed. I just do not understand how such a sonic abortion could have been allowed to happen again. Did the band learn nothing from VT? I just dont think they care, which is sad. Let Steven Wilson master it and it'll sound fantastic!

Very well put.

One would think that the mistakes of VP should have been a lessoned learned. Perhaps, the boys are thinking more in terms of golf, wine, prose, baseball these days?

Fact is, the album sounds dreadful,. Furthermore, I don't think Nick R is the right man for the job. He may get the boys all excited and "conduct" Neil with his comedy drumstick, say funny things like "Boughze" but it isn't helping the overall sound!

The mastering process is a fine art and arguably, the most important aspect as regards to the overall album release.

IMHO the boys have seriously taken their eyes off the ball with this one...

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jun 12 2012, 07:30 PM)

It's going to be a long summer, that's for sure. eyesre4.gif I predict this mastering complaint and the "faith bashing" accusation will be the two rallying cries for the CA haterz. I guess they have to latch onto something since CA is obviously shaping up as a near-classic for Rush.

Because nothing proves you know better than Geddy Lee than posting a pic of your computer screen on the Rush Forum.

z7shysterical.gif applaudit.gif doh.gif

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jun 13 2012, 12:30 AM)

Nope, don't hate Clockwork Angels, in fact, I love most of it. My issue is with the mastering.

Not particularly interested in religion or the "bashing" thereof.

Just don't like the mastering and the lack of sonic clarity.

People must have really picky ears. I have no problem with people expressing their opinions, but people just get too picky at times. Hell, I blasted the songs in the crappy, leaked mp3 format in my cars stereo and while points were a bit harsh, it was overall alright. I can't imagine what it will sound like once I get the CD to play in my car.

The music sounds fine. It might not be as good as you'd like, but come on, people are exaggerating something to the point of insanity.