My first spin!

Rush Cocky

Caravan - Of course, I've heard this a hundred times already, but the mix on the CD version is very good, I can hear stuff that I couldn't previously on the single. And this song is definitely among my favorites on this disc. My rating (on a scale of 1-10) = 9. This is among the best 10% of tunes Rush has ever done.

BU2B - Same as Caravan, except that I never have liked this song as much, primarily because I don't care for the lyrical message. The bluesy beginning was pretty cool! My rating = 6.5

Clockwork Angels - Here we go...new material at last! Oh WOW....nice start, love how it builds....and then this song is kind of all over the place. At least that's my first reaction. Overall, a very interesting tune stylistically. It kind of reminds me of "Another Dimension" by Liquid Tension Experiment in how it morphs from one style to another. My initial rating = 6. I think this one's going to have to grow on me.

The Anarchist - Love the start of this one, first minute and a half. Wow, this song is really jamming. And then they bring it down at points, for some great dynamics. LOVE IT. It's almost as strong a track as Caravan. My rating = 8.5.

Carnies - Sweet blending in from the previous song...nice rocking start! OK, this song is better than the samples indicated. Loved the change from the 3 minute to 4 minute mark or so. The abrupt end is a plus. My rating = 7 for this one.

Halo Effect - This song starts off very 2112-like, and then I LOVE the chorus! OK, at 2:12, I hear some elements from Snakes & Arrows there. Nice ending too. My rating = 7.

Seven Cities of Gold - The funky beginning is AWESOME! Love the flow of the tune, this is classic Rush.....what a fantastic job! My rating = 9.5.

The Wreckers - Nice tune, I like this one as well. Sounds like it could have been on "My Favorite Headache". Love the interlude with the build right before the 3 minute mark! And then back to the original. Good solid song....My rating = 7.

Headlong Flight - The OTHER song that we've heard from this album. OH MAN, this thing is still fantastic, and I love everything about it. This song would be great to work out to...something to keep in mind since I'm getting ready to join the gym again. My rating = 9.

BU2B2 - Clunk. Not a big fan of this one at all. It probably fits the flow of the album, and I'm sure I'll appreciate it more later, but for right now it sounds like whining to me. The strings were kind of interesting, so that bumps it a tad. My rating = 5.5.

Wish Them Well - Oh MAN, ANOTHER standout track! Geez, this one is so in your face, I LOVE IT! My rating = 8. And this has a chance to grow.

The Garden - WOW.....I'm going to cry. Seriously, I'm getting goose bumps from these melodies. Just WOW. What a masterpiece of an album. On this one, my rating = 9.

So let's sum up the numbers....9 + 6.5 + 6 + 8.5 + 7 + 7 + 9.5 + 7 + 9 + 5.5 + 8 + 9 = 92. In my school, anything from 90-100 was an A, and so that's exactly what this album will get on it's first spin.

Final Grade = A! icon_alienjig.gif applaudit.gif yes.gif biggrin.gif common001.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 12 2012, 02:04 PM)
Caravan - Of course, I've heard this a hundred times already, but the mix on the CD version is very good, I can hear stuff that I couldn't previously on the single. And this song is definitely among my favorites on this disc. My rating (on a scale of 1-10) = 9. This is among the best 10% of tunes Rush has ever done.

BU2B - Same as Caravan, except that I never have liked this song as much, primarily because I don't care for the lyrical message. The bluesy beginning was pretty cool! My rating = 6.5

Clockwork Angels - Here we go...new material at last! Oh WOW....nice start, love how it builds....and then this song is kind of all over the place. At least that's my first reaction. Overall, a very interesting tune stylistically. It kind of reminds me of "Another Dimension" by Liquid Tension Experiment in how it morphs from one style to another. My initial rating = 6. I think this one's going to have to grow on me.

The Anarchist - Love the start of this one, first minute and a half. Wow, this song is really jamming. And then they bring it down at points, for some great dynamics. LOVE IT. It's almost as strong a track as Caravan. My rating = 8.5.

Carnies - Sweet blending in from the previous song...nice rocking start! OK, this song is better than the samples indicated. Loved the change from the 3 minute to 4 minute mark or so. The abrupt end is a plus. My rating = 7 for this one.

Halo Effect - This song starts off very 2112-like, and then I LOVE the chorus! OK, at 2:12, I hear some elements from Snakes & Arrows there. Nice ending too. My rating = 7.

Seven Cities of Gold - The funky beginning is AWESOME! Love the flow of the tune, this is classic Rush.....what a fantastic job! My rating = 9.5.

The Wreckers - Nice tune, I like this one as well. Sounds like it could have been on "My Favorite Headache". Love the interlude with the build right before the 3 minute mark! And then back to the original. Good solid song....My rating = 7.

Headlong Flight - The OTHER song that we've heard from this album. OH MAN, this thing is still fantastic, and I love everything about it. This song would be great to work out to...something to keep in mind since I'm getting ready to join the gym again. My rating = 9.

BU2B2 - Clunk. Not a big fan of this one at all. It probably fits the flow of the album, and I'm sure I'll appreciate it more later, but for right now it sounds like whining to me. The strings were kind of interesting, so that bumps it a tad. My rating = 5.5.

Wish Them Well - Oh MAN, ANOTHER standout track! Geez, this one is so in your face, I LOVE IT! My rating = 8. And this has a chance to grow.

The Garden - WOW.....I'm going to cry. Seriously, I'm getting goose bumps from these melodies. Just WOW. What a masterpiece of an album. On this one, my rating = 9.

So let's sum up the numbers....9 + 6.5 + 6 + 8.5 + 7 + 7 + 9.5 + 7 + 9 + 5.5 + 8 + 9 = 92. In my school, anything from 90-100 was an A, and so that's exactly what this album will get on it's first spin.

Final Grade = A! icon_alienjig.gif applaudit.gif yes.gif biggrin.gif common001.gif

Great breakdown and sounds like an exciting first listening!

I disagree with two of your scores. BU2B clearly (to me) is an interlude, really brings out the despair of the main character who for whatever reason feels his whole belief system come crashing down on him. This is a play on the more bold/upbeat hopefulness of BU2B, but the roof comes crashing down. So I would say it is not supposed to sound fun or happy or triumphant or anything like that, I would guess the end result is precisely what they needed for that part of the concept, the turning point if you will. That and the fact that it is so short feels as though the low score on this shouldn't get the weight of the good scores for longer tracks.

The Garden? Clearly you are dead wrong or made a weird typo. That song is most clearly a 10!

Thanks for sharing you thoughts!

trink39.gif

Don't worry, it will..! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 12 2012, 12:04 PM)

Yeah, but there are twelve tracks, not ten, so that's 92 out of 120, which is 76.7%. That's a far cry from an A.

QUOTE (StellarJetman @ Jun 12 2012, 03:09 PM)
So let's sum up the numbers....9 + 6.5 + 6 + 8.5 + 7 + 7 + 9.5 + 7 + 9 + 5.5 + 8 + 9 = 92.  In my school, anything from 90-100 was an A, and so that's exactly what this album will get on it's first spin.

Final Grade = A!  icon_alienjig.gif  applaudit.gif  yes.gif  biggrin.gif  common001.gif

Yeah, but there are twelve tracks, not ten, so that's 92 out of 120, which is 76.7%. That's a far cry from an A.

Shut it!

z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (StellarJetman @ Jun 12 2012, 03:09 PM)
So let's sum up the numbers....9 + 6.5 + 6 + 8.5 + 7 + 7 + 9.5 + 7 + 9 + 5.5 + 8 + 9 = 92.  In my school, anything from 90-100 was an A, and so that's exactly what this album will get on it's first spin.

Final Grade = A!  icon_alienjig.gif  applaudit.gif  yes.gif  biggrin.gif  common001.gif

No, no, no.......

RUSH ALWAYS GETS GRADED ON A SCALE!!! yes.gif

Did you not know that? They get 20 points just because it's Rush!

Therefore if Rush scores a 50, it's really a 70, which is a passing grade.

Rush > ALL 1287.gif

Get that 76.7% crap outta here! angry.gif

I have to admit I was expecting to dislike this album . Being such a 2.gif fan I went out and bought it as soon as I woke up. After the first listen it took me only a few songs to feel that this is a great album. I am a fan of the synth era as well and I did notice a few short bursts in fills but that was it . OK I can live with that if the rest of the material is solid. I guess I will never understand how using keyboards is not "Metal" . All in all its a solid album . Alex' playing is solid too I think I even heard some mandolin in there ala his Victor solo work.

Based on my first listen:

I think the album starts off pretty strongly.

I like Caravan and BU2B pretty good.

I think Clockwork Angels is a very good track and will be among my faves I think.

The Anarchist starts off really good and then it becomes uninteresting, but not in a bad way. The song would have been better if it were shorter.

My interest drops off until "The Wreckers" which I think is a pretty good tune. I thought "Carnies" was going to be good based on that intro, but I was a bit disappointed in what came of it.

"Headlong Flight" has Alex sounding like he's playing the ATWAS version of ByTor and the Snowdog during his solo.

BU2B2 is nothingness. It could have been left off, in my opinion.

Wish them well is pretty decent.

The Garden is already my favorite. REally emotional tune. I love, just LOVE that solo cello by itself as the song fades.

Overall, I think the album is pretty good as a whole (again, based on first listen).

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 12 2012, 01:04 PM)

And this is the reason you failed Math! facepalm.gif

Gee, if they would have had another song it would have gone past 100! OMG! You understand you have 12 songs. You need to divide it be 12 to get an average then mulitply it by 10 to find what it is within a 100% scale rating. So actually you gave it 76.6% which is a "C"! Does that grade ring any bells!

eyesre4.gif

Just messing with you, I'm glad you're loving it!

Rock on dude!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

One listen, first time hearing anything besides BU2B and Caravan:

A little underwhelmed based on the gushing I have read. It's sort of a better sounding, more focused Vapor Trails musically. Headlong Flight is my favorite song at this point although The Garden is amazing as advertised. Really enjoyed the arpeggiated guitar sections in Wish Them Well. This type of guitar work is what I really miss from old Rush since Alex has gone to a more strummy guitar sound. I really enjoy it and can't wait to hear it more times to see if the "classic album" description starts clicking for me as it has so many of you.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 12 2012, 05:40 PM)
Based on my first listen:

I think the album starts off pretty strongly.

I like Caravan and BU2B pretty good.

I think Clockwork Angels is a very good track and will be among my faves I think.

The Anarchist starts off really good and then it becomes uninteresting, but not in a bad way. The song would have been better if it were shorter.

My interest drops off until "The Wreckers" which I think is a pretty good tune. I thought "Carnies" was going to be good based on that intro, but I was a bit disappointed in what came of it.

"Headlong Flight" has Alex sounding like he's playing the ATWAS version of ByTor and the Snowdog during his solo.

BU2B2 is nothingness. It could have been left off, in my opinion.

Wish them well is pretty decent.

The Garden is already my favorite. REally emotional tune. I love, just LOVE that solo cello by itself as the song fades.

Overall, I think the album is pretty good as a whole (again, based on first listen).

Was looking forward to you chiming in. Good read.