Why "Wish Them Well" is a standout track

priest_of_syrinx

I love WTW. It is a tad repetitive, but in a good way. I was half expecting to dislike it after reading about it in the reviews and on here. I love the instrumental breakdown about halfway through. Reminds me of something from one of their 80s albums. But the rest is a great modern Rush tune.

This song is growing on me. It's a little "pop" but, IDK, it has a different vibe. It reminds me of Superconductor or Neurotica for some reason. I hated those songs when their albums came out but they grew on me over time.

Now that I've given it a few listens (and believe me - I had to push myself to do it), I'm actually starting to dig it...

Edited by dtpoet

This song would not be a standout if it were on a Nickleback album. It's just so forgettable and represents everything I hoped Rush would never become.

Just my opinion on it. There are people in this world that legitimately think Justin Bieber is the best artist in the world right now, so I wouldnt get on anyones case for liking this song. Among Rush's all time worst for me. Totally down there with Dog Years.

The lyrics are excellent, but it is otherwise kinda forgettable.

I get the distinct feeling that the band themselves are "done" with Wish Them Well. Neil doesn't care for it. Doubt it will make the setlist, which is A-OK with me.

The song has grown on me...but I'd still rank it near the bottom of CA. I think only BU2B2 and Halo Effect would sit below it for me.

I definitely wouldn't consider it 'standout' personally. Also, the high-pitched Geddy in the background saying 'Wish Them Weelllll' is so VT.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jun 13 2012, 10:11 PM)
Musically WTW is not a favorite, but damn is it one of my lyrical favorites... A track that lyrically is very accessible outside the confines of the story/concept...

I love the message of this song... that no matter how many people hurt you, dick you over, have a personal issue with you, that it's not worth holding a grudge over these people, not worth fretting over... and that you just need to turn away from these people and conflicts and do nothing more than just "wish them well"

yes.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 13 2012, 10:56 PM)
Also, the high-pitched Geddy in the background saying 'Wish Them Weelllll' is so VT.

I mentioned before, that really hurts the song for me but I don't so much consider VT.

I am also a little baffled as to why Wish Them Well has gotten so much negative reaction. To me, it sounds very much like Counterparts, which usually gets lots of respect. So it is weird that so many do not care for it (or either I am totally off on the Counterparts similarity).

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 14 2012, 06:02 AM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 13 2012, 10:56 PM)
Also, the high-pitched Geddy in the background saying 'Wish Them Weelllll' is so VT.

I mentioned before, that really hurts the song for me but I don't so much consider VT.

At least it's quiet.

If they do play this one live I really hope that's going to be a sample Neil triggers because it'd kill Ged's voice to do that so much.