Two mediocre songs on the album

cygnus_thegodofbalance

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jun 10 2012, 07:51 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 10 2012, 06:29 PM)
I'd contend there are a couple lesser songs on CA (which ones those are is changing a bit), but all of them work well in the context of the album...so all is good.  Very strong record.

I feel the same way. Even BU2B2, which barely qualifies as a song, has a place because it advances the story - and on a concept album, that counts for a lot. Even still, I haven't skipped it once yet when it has come on.

When you guys find them, let me know. I still haven't heard them

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Jun 10 2012, 04:52 PM)
And those are Wish Them Well and Carnies. WTW because it's WAY too repetitive, and Carnies because it's just a wall of sound without any cohesion or linear guidance. It's just a mess. AND I think The Garden is vastly overrated on here. All in all though, a great album!

Caravan - 8/10
BU2B - 9/10
Clockwork Angels - 9/10
The Anarchist - 9/10 (great opening riff!)
Carnies - 6/10
Halo Effect - 7.5/10
Seven Cities of Gold - 7.5/10
The Wreckers - 9/10
Headlong Flight - 8.5/10
BU2B2 - 8/10
Wish Them Well - 7/10
The Garden - 8/10 (great, just overrated)

What a jackass! Can't even give one song a 10/10...

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 10 2012, 09:16 PM)
Let's see

Caravan 9/10
BU2B 10/10
Clockwork Angels 9/10
The Anarchist 10/10
Carnies 8/10
Halo Effect 8.5/10
Seven Cities of Gold 8.5/10
The Wreckers 9/10
Headlong Flight 9.5/10
Wish Them Well 7/10
The Garden 9.5/10

That's more like it! But what happened to BU2B2?

confused13.gif

Did it end up on the edit floor?

rofl3.gif z7shysterical.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 10 2012, 05:10 PM)
QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Jun 10 2012, 05:03 PM)
I love the "iron wheels" chorus, but that's it. I've listened to this song 5 times now, and that's honestly the only part I remember from it. Everything else about it is so unmemorable and incoherent.

The music underneath the"sometimes the angels punish us" part reminds me so much of Power Windows. My fav part of the song.

Yes! I LOVE that part! yes.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 10 2012, 08:15 PM)
And those are Wish Them Well and Carnies. WTW because it's WAY too repetitive, and Carnies because it's just a wall of sound without any cohesion or linear guidance. It's just a mess. AND I think The Garden is vastly overrated on here. All in all though, a great album!

Caravan - 8/10
BU2B - 9/10
Clockwork Angels - 9/10
Carnies - 6/10
Halo Effect - 7.5/10
The Wreckers - 9/10
Headlong Flight - 8.5/10
BU2B2 - 8/10
Wish Them Well - 7/10

I think you're over rated on here! Carnies kicks serious ass! IS suppose to sound cluttered. Its a Carnival Setting!

rage.gif

The Garden Is simply excelent! Rush has broken new ground on this one! Last thing you broke was through the toilet paper when you were wiping your @ss after writing this thread!

rofl3.gif z7shysterical.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif

z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif

I've listened to the album at least once a day since the "leak" and it wasn't until this morning that I finally "got" Carnies.

That was a tough nut to crack!

Caravan - 8/10
BU2B - 9/10
Clockwork Angels - 9/10
Carnies - 6/10
Halo Effect - 7.5/10
The Wreckers - 9/10
Headlong Flight - 8.5/10
BU2B2 - 8/10
Wish Them Well - 7/10

Just because you have a picture of Buster as a part of your signature...I won't judge you. lol

Those who say carnies is no good obvious don't have an ear for talent, and are bums. no offense. lol

EDIT: Having said that, I agree with your statement about The Garden. VERYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY FRICKEN overrated. I've listened to the song several times at this point trying to find what people are freaking out over, and its just generic slow melodic typical boring Rush. I'm all for the softer side of Rush, I love Power Windows and simlilar sounding songs, but The Garden is not anything special. So I don't get it.

Edited by UltimoGuitarist

QUOTE (UltimoGuitarist @ Jun 10 2012, 11:07 PM)
Those who say carnies is no good obvious don't have an ear for talent, and are bums. no offense. lol

EDIT: Having said that, I agree with your statement about The Garden. VERYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY FRICKEN overrated. I've listened to the song several times at this point trying to find what people are freaking out over, and its just generic slow melodic typical boring Rush. I'm all for the softer side of Rush, I love Power Windows and simlilar sounding songs, but The Garden is not anything special. So I don't get it.

Maybe it's the orchestra and piano? Those kinds of instruments usually get to me. Plus, mixing that in with the trio. Such beautiful sounds.

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Jun 11 2012, 12:18 AM)
If any song is overrated; it's Seven Cities of Gold. I don't see how Wish Them Well can be overrated, as lowly rated as it has generally been recieved. If anything Wish Them Well is underrated being how AWESOME it is.

I can agree with that. Wish Them Well isn't as bad as I initially thought. And it has a sick solo. It's just a little repetative and cheesy at times. All that you can DOOOO is wish them welll (wishhhhhh themmmmm welllll) cmon geddy really? lol.

But yeah, seven cities of gold is a huge meh for me too. Does nothing for me at all.

I took to Wish Them Well right away and it remains one of my favorites.

Carnies took a couple listenings to fully digest (my initial reaction was very positive though), but it's also one of my favorites.

The Garden is probably my least favorite. It doesn't suck mind you, everything on this album is solid. smile.gif

QUOTE (UltimoGuitarist @ Jun 11 2012, 12:39 AM)
If any song is overrated; it's Seven Cities of Gold. I don't see how Wish Them Well can be overrated, as lowly rated as it has generally been recieved. If anything Wish Them Well is underrated being how AWESOME it is.

I can agree with that. Wish Them Well isn't as bad as I initially thought. And it has a sick solo. It's just a little repetative and cheesy at times. All that you can DOOOO is wish them welll (wishhhhhh themmmmm welllll) cmon geddy really? lol.

But yeah, seven cities of gold is a huge meh for me too. Does nothing for me at all.

You guys just don't get it. Don't you understand that evertime he sings or repeats "Wish them Well" coincides with every person or event that has done him wrong in some way! He's letting go of his grudges or forgiving his trespassers with every repetition. He's turning the other cheak and moving on with his life.

yes.gif

If there is anything that screams 1970's prog era Rush it is Seven Cities of Gold.

A monster of a song. Layden with crunchy riffs, a space oddessy intro and solo section....I think it is one of the most visual and crunchy songs on the album hands down.

Live this song is going to melt everyones faces off.

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 11 2012, 10:31 AM)

You guys just don't get it. Don't you understand that evertime he sings or repeats "Wish them Well" coincides with every person or event that has done him wrong in some way! He's letting go of his grudges or forgiving his trespassers with every repetition. He's turning the other cheak and moving on with his life.

yes.gif

Just because a song has a good meaning behind it doesn't make it a good song. Wish Them Well just suffers from the rest of the album being so good. It's an OK song but it just can't hold up against the better stuff on CA.

QUOTE (Todem @ Jun 11 2012, 10:32 AM)
If there is anything that screams 1970's prog era Rush it is Seven Cities of Gold.

A monster of a song. Layden with crunchy riffs, a space oddessy intro and solo section....I think it is one of the most visual and crunchy songs on the album hands down.

Live this song is going to melt everyones faces off.

The choruses ruin it, and it's one of the songs where you can really hear the strain in Geddy's voice. If the whole song was like the intro it'd be awesome!

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jun 11 2012, 11:34 AM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 11 2012, 10:31 AM)

yes.gif

Just because a song has a good meaning behind it doesn't make it a good song. Wish Them Well just suffers from the rest of the album being so good. It's an OK song but it just can't hold up against the better stuff on CA.

goodpost.gif I have no idea what in the world the lyrics of the Carnies are supposed to mean, but it is a much better song than Wish Them Well. smile.gif

Just an opinion, but it's not that wish them well is an absolute clunker, although it is probably the weakest song on the record. I think it doesn't work within the context of the other songs due it being more personal in nature.