Clockwork Angels cover artwork -disappointing!

treeduck

Do you like the CA cover artwork?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the CA cover artwork?

• 1 I love it - it's better than I could have imagined!
    • 2 It's f***ing abysmal, a putrid red mess, a swiring cloud of crimson meh!
    • 3 I think it's pretty good, simple and powerful, just what was required
    • 4 It's pretty piss poor, slap dash and unimaginative, like VT and S&A
    • 5 Well, it's not that good, but I don't care, it's the music that counts
    • 6 The music counts alright, but why not have an incredible stunning cover?
    • 7 It's just barely passable almost decent, I'd prefer something else, ah well
    • 8 Yes it is another Hold Your Fire, like Hugh was stuck and used his old idea
    • 9 I like red and that's the only reason I like it
    • 10 I don't care about the artwork
    • 11 I hated it at first but it's grown on me, it's not great artwork, but it works
    • 12 Blarrrrgggh!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jun 9 2012, 01:03 PM)
QUOTE (FallTempest @ Jun 9 2012, 05:08 PM)
Didn't Hugh do Dream Theater's A Dramatic Turn Of Events too? That cover was also getting alot of flack.

That one is shite though.

I wouldn't disagree. Just seems odd for a legend like Hugh to have two recent works be questioned by the fan base. (I like the CA cover though).

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 9 2012, 02:19 PM)
I like the flying ship over the earth image better. The cover image is ok.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (deslock @ Jun 9 2012, 05:51 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 9 2012, 05:08 AM)
It's Hold Your Fire II without the balls

They put them on HYF's cover to make up for the music's lack of balls...they even added a spare! biggrin.gif

(to be fair to HYF, there are some intense parts in several songs)

laugh.gif

I've always liked Hold your Fire, it's Geddy's bass playing showcase! And full of good songs!

1022.gif

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jun 9 2012, 06:16 AM)
It's fine, it is what it is. smile.gif

A more pertinent question is, what have you done to the Royal Mail? This is not the first time you've been let down by the UK postal service.

Don't tell me, you bit the postman, being a rabid duck an' all....that's some pretty bad shit.

Naaa it'll get here...

ph34r.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 9 2012, 01:19 PM)
I like the flying ship over the earth image better. The cover image is ok.

Well this is what I mean, there's a ton of better images in the booklet...

The cover is a bit bland and boring, not sure why they went with that. There's tons more things they could have done than just slapping the clock over red clouds. The other images are all far better.

QUOTE (Shreddy Lee @ Jun 9 2012, 03:20 PM)
The cover is a bit bland and boring, not sure why they went with that. There's tons more things they could have done than just slapping the clock over red clouds. The other images are all far better.

They have no taste!

trink36.gif

QUOTE (Barchetta82 @ Jun 9 2012, 10:33 AM)

They put them on HYF's cover to make up for the music's lack of balls...they even added a spare! biggrin.gif

It might not have balls, but it has a big.....

Clock!

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

All I can say is I see red... it hurts my head...

QUOTE (New World Kid @ Jun 9 2012, 04:56 PM)
The cover is meh. The music is good.

Vapor Trails has an awesome cover, not sure why you're putting it down here.

That might be because I don't agree...

tongue.gif

The cover looks like a high school Photoshop project gone wrong.

One of the worst album covers I've ever seen. yes.gif

Fortunately, the music kicks ass. 1022.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 9 2012, 01:34 PM)

laugh.gif

I've always liked Hold your Fire, it's Geddy's bass playing showcase! And full of good songs!

1022.gif

Geddy was in his jazz fusion phase... interesting bass lines and chords, but not much hook.

They were extremely methodical and meticulous with HYF's writing (it was their first "restrained" album), but overall it ranks in the bottom half or Rush albums for me because it feels somewhat sterile, a lot of the songs have weird synths (Prime Mover, Mission, Turn the Page), and it lacks energy (Geddy later said 60% of Power Windows had been based on sound check jams while only 5% of HYF was).

Overall was a huge let down from the masterpiece that is Power Windows.

You know, in the era of cds and even smaller digital downloads, the art of the album cover is gone. If you had to look at the PoW or PeW cover for the first time on your ipod screen, a lot would be lost. I do wish that it were different, but that's the way it is...

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jun 10 2012, 06:49 AM)
You know, in the era of cds and even smaller digital downloads, the art of the album cover is gone. If you had to look at the PoW or PeW cover for the first time on your ipod screen, a lot would be lost. I do wish that it were different, but that's the way it is...

Everyone I know scoffed at it, but I thought iTunes LP was nifty. I bought Iron Maiden's Final Frontier album with it, and the artwork was very detailed... was worth the extra $2 (the album still cost me less than $10).

I think it's a bad cover but then again there aren't too many Rush album covers I think are that great to begin with. For the most part they are as bad at choosing album covers as they are making music videos.

When I did an image search for "Clockwork Angels" a few months ago, the image that's my avatar showed up in it. I'm not sure if it's in the CD booklet or where it exactly came from, but it would've been a much better cover than what they decided on.

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Jun 10 2012, 07:32 AM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jun 10 2012, 07:29 AM)
For the most part they are as bad at choosing album covers as they are making music videos.

laugh.gif

Knowing their sense of humor i'm positive they made as bad of a video as they could just for a laugh. If they really wanted to they could've made a video that matched the greatness of the song. They just wanted to mess with everybody.

I think it's, like Hold Your Fire, AWESOME. Simple, yet deep with meaning. HYF just says so much with the three spheres placed on a red background. This says a lot more.

This cover says a lot to me given the total package here. The subject matter of the album, the 12 songs each with deep meaning, not just lets go get drunk and bang some girls, hence 12 symbols each with God knows what they mean. You already get the clue that there is something to figure out here. This all placed amidst swirling clouds ala a 'clockwork universe', and it all glowing a crimson red which could be metaphorically standing for a lot of different things.

It just says to me, 'this is a deep and complex album pal, understand that before you open it'....

That's my $0.02