Does CA move you?

Gedneil Alpeart

Ok, I caved and have been listening, but waiting for my purchased copy in much better sound.

Beyond initial impressions now after several run throughs, I can confidently say that this album is so epic and gripping. It's not a perfect album for me and not every song is stellar, but not every song has to be IMO. No song turns me off.....at worst average with redeeming qualities even in the weaker numbers. I predict this will be regarded as one of Rush's stronger albums IMO even years later by many Rush fans..... eventually maybe even regarded as a late career classic.... just way too much substance here that should pass the test of time. But, we never know.

From start to finish, most importantly.....forget analyses, nit picking, details......this album MOVES me like no recent Rush album has, and probably one of the top 5 most moving and emotional Rush albums for me both musically and lyrically........not nec top 5 favorite overall.....yet.....but top 5 grabbing my heart. It also rocks me out like no recent Rush album has.

Hard to compare it with the 70s and 80s favorites and classics since it's still so new.....but one thing I know....I feel a similar amount of goose pimple moments in this album as I do my fav Rush albums from yore. Could be only the honeymoon period....but it could mean something a lot more significant for me over time. For now, dont know what that means, but if any indication, this album could stack very high in the ranked pile of Rush albums years from now.

Forget musical left brain analysis for a minute....does this album as a whole move you, esp now having access to the lyrics? I know many have mentioned The Garden as particularly moving. Do the lyrical content of some of the songs resonate personally? They sure do for me in many parts....much, much more than in recent albums.

Thank you Rush......for truly capturing my heart again after ages. Was hoping you would do it again!

Beautifully stated. I hope this thread receives the attention it deserves. I agree wholeheartedly with everything you wrote, this album moved me in a way no album has, and not necessarily for its music.

When The Garden was over the first thing I thought was to thank Rush for this beautiful work of art. These guys f'ing rule.

QUOTE (Zanadoo @ Jun 6 2012, 05:20 PM)
Beautifully stated. I hope this thread receives the attention it deserves. I agree wholeheartedly with everything you wrote, this album moved me in a way no album has, and not necessarily for its music.

When The Garden was over the first thing I thought was to thank Rush for this beautiful work of art. These guys f'ing rule.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This! yes.gif

Yes, completely agree with OP. I have absolutely found these songs to be more emotionally powerful and moving than anything in recent memory, by Rush or not. Title track, The Wreckers, Wish Them Well, The Garden... all spectacular in this regard.

I have no idea why people like this album. The song writing is ok. It's not an entertaining listening experience. I've listened to the album about 5 times and I'm done with it. Can't listen to it. Just boring music. SnA is a lot more entertaining and has lots more variety of songs. The songs on CA don't have distinct sections. It's power cord happy. Drums bashing happy. Zero finesse. Geds vocal phrasing Has got to go. His bass lines are always great. Don't know what happened here. I will try a few more listens but man is the album boring at best. Might need to hear a 320 bit version. The 192 bit sucks but listenable. Getting the cd in the mail next week. I collect their CDs and vinyl. Even have the tapes that are worn out. Seeing the tunes live might make more of an impression. We shall see.

2.gif

QUOTE (shail @ Jun 6 2012, 05:38 PM)
I have no idea why people like this album. The song writing is ok. It's not an entertaining listening experience. I've listened to the album about 5 times and I'm done with it. Can't listen to it. Just boring music. SnA is a lot more entertaining and has lots more variety of songs. The songs on CA don't have distinct sections. It's power cord happy. Drums bashing happy. Zero finesse. Geds vocal phrasing Has got to go. His bass lines are always great. Don't know what happened here. I will try a few more listens but man is the album boring at best. Might need to hear a 320 bit version. The 192 bit sucks but listenable. Getting the cd in the mail next week. I collect their CDs and vinyl. Even have the tapes that are worn out. Seeing the tunes live might make more of an impression. We shall see.

2.gif

You have that backwards. SnA was the record that was boring.

2.gif

Sorry for your disappointment. Hope it grows.

QUOTE (Ovningskora @ Jun 6 2012, 05:36 PM)
The title track is pretty disappointing.

i was expecting alot more from this song with all the talk about it being epic but it doesn't stick with me at all. it's not bad but not good either, just very average to me and i don't really look to listen to it.

2.gif

And also....I have no idea why some DONT like this album or at least dont find it above avg Rush..... though I respect their opinions.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 6 2012, 05:56 PM)

2.gif

And also....I have no idea why some DONT like this album or at least dont find it above avg Rush..... though I respect their opinions.

There aren't very many that don't like it. That rating poll is off the charts positive. Most people think it's a 9 or above.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 6 2012, 03:58 PM)
Can we get back to the orig topic please? smile.gif

This is just how the forum works when there's a new release.

Everything turns into a cluster of opinions biggrin.gif

Let it run it's course.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 6 2012, 05:56 PM)
QUOTE (Ovningskora @ Jun 6 2012, 05:36 PM)
The title track is pretty disappointing.

i was expecting alot more from this song with all the talk about it being epic but it doesn't stick with me at all. it's not bad but not good either, just very average to me and i don't really look to listen to it.

Hopefully it will grow....but if not....not the end of the world. smile.gif

2.gif

Try it with headphones and your eyes closed. I'm serious.

The title track seemed so different at first. I wasn't getting it at all, but with repeated listens in the dark with my headphones, I totally get it now. It took me 4 times. Now I am impressed with just how "progressive" this tune is. Nothing else like it anywhere, that's for sure.

Yeah, I've been playing it pretty much non-stop these past two days. And, there have been moments where I've been nostalgic, wistful, almost melancholic. The music has a longing to it, a sense of inevitability, of putting ones affairs in order. Is it their swansong? Probably not, but it has that kind of feel to it.

Like I said to someone in a PM last night, this is a seriously "grown-up" record.