Nick Raskulinecz

Terrapin

QUOTE (Terrapin @ Jun 5 2012, 09:17 PM)
Absolutely dreadful "Producer" Why is he a producer? Who is he? Why are the Rush boys putting their collective faith in this compression happy, grunge loving idiot?

Terry Brown anyone?

Every "producer" since has been a mistake, hence the continual search.

Perhaps Terry is the Watchmaker...

Couldn't be any worse.

Wow... confused13.gif

http://i46.tinypic.com/2wpum1h.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

S&A has a great mix, IMO. I don't get anyone else saying it doesn't have a great mix. Maybe they have a bad copy.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jun 5 2012, 09:26 PM)
Please don't feed the troll.

You can tell them not to feed all you want , they Never listen

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 6 2012, 01:06 PM)
S&A has a great mix, IMO. I don't get anyone else saying it doesn't have a great mix. Maybe they have a bad copy.

No kidding.

I mean, if people dislike the songs on S&A, that's one thing. But come on, the mix and sound is perfect IMO.

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jun 6 2012, 12:06 PM)
Absolutely dreadful "Producer" Why is he a producer? Who is he? Why are the Rush boys putting their collective faith in this compression happy, grunge loving idiot?

Terry Brown anyone?

Couldn't be any worse.

Wow... confused13.gif

It could definitely be worse. It could sound like Vapor Trails. That alone nullifies this comment. biggrin.gif Anyone who thinks the new record sounds just as bad, or worse, than VT's quality of recording is brain dead and deaf. That's not about opinion either...that's merely about having ears that work.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 6 2012, 10:31 AM)

No kidding.

I mean, if people dislike the songs on S&A, that's one thing. But come on, the mix and sound is perfect IMO.

True.... I'm not a fan of at least half the songs, but the mix is beautiful. yes.gif There are some ear-watering textures on S&A.

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ Jun 6 2012, 10:52 AM)

No kidding.

True.... I'm not a fan of at least half the songs, but the mix is beautiful. yes.gif There are some ear-watering textures on S&A.

Rich Chycki mixed S&A. Nick mixed CA.

CA sounds a little more harsh than S&A IMO, but I'm still loving it.

I can't wait to get CA on HDTracks, high resolution audio is so much better if you have a good stereo. 96khz/24bit is the way to go and that makes S&A sound much better, I like it more than the 5.1 mix. Soon the whole Sector box sets will be available like that, too.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 6 2012, 09:59 AM)
QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ Jun 6 2012, 10:52 AM)

No kidding.

Rich Chycki mixed S&A. Nick mixed CA.

CA sounds a little more harsh than S&A IMO, but I'm still loving it.

I think the production on S&A is good, I don't like the mixing. But I seem to be in the minority. Almost everyone on here thinks S&A sounds incredible. So I can accept defeat, and just admit I'm crazy.

laugh.gif

On that note, I've always said that what really matters is the content. While I think VT is really poorly recorded/mixed etc, I like the songs on that album more than I do S&A. So it becomes a moot point. Same goes for Clockwork Angels. I agree with those that say CA sounds harsh. But you know what? I like the songs much more than S&A. So again, content wins out.

I shouldn't be so harsh on Nick R. He's only worked with them on 2 album's. And I really dig CA. So 1 for 2.

Edited by Mr. Henry Gale

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 6 2012, 12:34 PM)
QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jun 6 2012, 12:06 PM)

Terry Brown anyone?

Couldn't be any worse.

Wow... confused13.gif

It could definitely be worse. It could sound like Vapor Trails. That alone nullifies this comment. biggrin.gif Anyone who thinks the new record sounds just as bad, or worse, than VT's quality of recording is brain dead and deaf. That's not about opinion either...that's merely about having ears that work.

>>It could definitely be worse.

yes.gif

Terrapin, meet Rupert Hine and Paul Northfield. eyesre4.gif

(Peter Collins also dropped the ball somewhat with TFE, but certainly excelled on PoW, HYF, and CP.)

Let's not completely flame the OP.

Nick has done a great job with helping the band arrange their songs, which is a main role of a good producer. But I'm not a fan of the mix. Guitars are too layered and loud. The individual instruments aren't crystal clear like they were on say CP or Moving Pictures.

The mastering is better than SnA, but a little bass heavy. Not as compressed either (waveforms are not brickwalled). I just think the album sounds muddy and doesn't have a lot of room to breathe.

Maybe I'm just used to Steven Wilson spoiling my ears.

QUOTE (marblesmike @ Jun 8 2012, 08:21 AM)
Let's not completely flame the OP.

Nick has done a great job with helping the band arrange their songs, which is a main role of a good producer. But I'm not a fan of the mix. Guitars are too layered and loud. The individual instruments aren't crystal clear like they were on say CP or Moving Pictures.

The mastering is better than SnA, but a little bass heavy. Not as compressed either (waveforms are not brickwalled). I just think the album sounds muddy and doesn't have a lot of room to breathe.

Maybe I'm just used to Steven Wilson spoiling my ears.

I'm usually not a big complainer about this stuff, but I completely agree and it's tarnishing my enjoyment of the album. I love the music which is making it even more heartbreaking for me. The guitars seem a bit loud and harsh, the bass is a little too bottom endy and the vocals are a little too buried in reverb. It's all in your face with no dynamics. I dont know why they decided to let Nick mix the record this time but they should have stuck with Chycki. I thought his mixes on Snakes, and even the original Caravan, were better.

That being said, this is still their best album since MP.