The Garden

UltimoGuitarist

I'm seeing a lot of people hella enjoying up themselves some The Garden. Personally I'm always more driven towards songs that are musically challenging/interesting than lyrics. I don't usually pay much attention to lyrics in general in fact.

Having said that, I'm not a huge fan of The Garden. So I'm not understanding the hype. I might even go as far as to say it blows, just to stir the controversial pot. =p

Anyone else out there share my distaste for the song? Or is it just me.

PS: Just want to say that the majority of the album is flipping amazing. I just don't care for this song, or BU2B2 or Halo Effect. Too boring...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's about the lyrics and the music equally. It's absolutely stunning, it's about the only song ever that made me tear up. If you're just into metal or musical gymnastics I can understand how it wouldn't connect, though. Edited by snowdog2112

I think it might very well be in the top five songs they've ever recorded. I certainly feel that way right now, but we'll see how it fares down the road. Thing is though, other things in my top five are songs like Presto and Available Light, so take that with a grain of salt tongue.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jun 5 2012, 03:10 PM)
I think it might very well be in the top five songs they've ever recorded. I certainly feel that way right now, but we'll see how it fares down the road. Thing is though, other things in my top five are songs like Presto and Available Light, so take that with a grain of salt tongue.gif

Indeed, I try not to rank things too much but in my mind they've certainly never recorded anything better.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jun 5 2012, 05:09 PM)
It's about the lyrics and the music equally. It's absolutely stunning, it's about the only song ever that made me tear up. If you're just into metal or musical gymnastics I can understand how it wouldn't connect, though.

Well don't get me wrong, I certainly appreciate the softer mellow side of Rush as well, but only if theres at least a good melody to the song, something to grab onto thats catchy. This song just seems to go on and on and the music is really repetative. I just don't get it that's all. What's the song about? Is it something about the lyrics that are getting to everyone?

*shrug*

QUOTE (UltimoGuitarist @ Jun 5 2012, 03:14 PM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jun 5 2012, 05:09 PM)
It's about the lyrics and the music equally. It's absolutely stunning, it's about the only song ever that made me tear up. If you're just into metal or musical gymnastics I can understand how it wouldn't connect, though.

Well don't get me wrong, I certainly appreciate the softer mellow side of Rush as well, but only if theres at least a good melody to the song, something to grab onto thats catchy. This song just seems to go on and on and the music is really repetative. I just don't get it that's all. What's the song about? Is it something about the lyrics that are getting to everyone?

*shrug*

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that's all you care about because I simply don't know what you like. I just meant "you" in the general sense.

I don't know what to say, I don't know how to describe how you should get into it. You sort of either get it or not. I will say that although I'm a Rush nut and I also listen to lots of other hard rock and some metal I really enjoy classical music, big band jazz, string quartet stuff, and other things that are far outside the realm of rock so maybe that sensibility is the difference. All I know is that The Garden literally gave me chills, and has repeatedly.

I'm not judging or saying you're wrong. I think you would say the same. I've always been a huge fan of the ballads whether it's "tears" or "madrigal" or "losing it" or "resist". It's the emotion not only in words and music, but the melodies and the harmonies. For me, The Garden blends all of the ballads they have created over the decades into one, sweet, passionate song.

It's also personal. I posted this elsewhere, but 3 months ago, my brother was diagnosed with cancer. This past Friday, we were told he may have a week or two left. So to me, this song in all it's components, means a lot to me right now.

OP: You're not alone. I didn't get The Garden at all on first listen.... but it's growing on me. It's cool to see Rush experimenting with yet more different styles.... The Garden truly sounds like nothing else the band has recorded.

Dude......do you have a pulse? The last 3 minutes of The Garden is the biggest goosebump moment on the record. Gets me everytime. Now I can understand why Neil said there wasn't a dry eye in the house. when they were listening to playback in the studio. For me this trumps all of Rush's softer songs like Available Light, Bravado, The Pass, Resist, Different Strings. This is now #1 in my book. Edited by presto123

It's by far my favorite song on the album, and this point I would say one of their best songs ever. The strings are used perfectly, the piano is a really nice addition, and Alex kills it with that solo. That's combined with the best lyrics I've heard from Neil in a long time. Those two combined make for such a beautiful song. Everything about it, from the music and the lyrics, to the way it builds to those last couple of minutes, is perfect.

QUOTE (sb2112 @ Jun 5 2012, 07:13 PM)
It's by far my favorite song on the album, and this point I would say one of their best songs ever. The strings are used perfectly, the piano is a really nice addition, and Alex kills it with that solo. That's combined with the best lyrics I've heard from Neil in a long time. Those two combined make for such a beautiful song. Everything about it, from the music and the lyrics, to the way it builds to those last couple of minutes, is perfect.

goodpost.gif yes.gif

Couldn't have said it better myself!

For me, as a musician, it's easy to get caught up in analysis and hear a song for it's pieces and not as a whole and end up missing the emotional nature of the song. That happened on the first couple of listens with this song. It's not that I didn't get it, I was just getting something else. Now I can hear it both ways depending on my listening mood. If that makes any sense.

JMO,

It's Rush not AC/DC. There are tunes I never listen to by Rush. But there diversity is what makes me love them the most. It's never boring. I'm just glad there still playing for us! 1022.gif biggrin.gif 2.gif

Agreed that it belongs in the top 10 rush songs ever recorded - I would put Hemispheres / 2112 / Xanadu / Natural Science / Jacobs ladder slightly ahead of it - Definitely top ten - No Rush song has ever made me get choked up before- banghead.gif Edited by alphseeker

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 5 2012, 06:33 PM)
Really not into it too much. I think the vocals are just killing it for me and sucking me right out of the mood of the song. Geddy sounds baaaddddddd on this one imo.

I think maybe your ears are on backwards or something...

wink.gif

Rush, mostly, has been about the sheer talent, power, and complexity of the music. The Garden is all about emotion and was made towards the end of their careers. It feels like a good bye. The slower songs may not be the ones you jam to all the time, but within the context of album and where they are placed, they all fit very well. If every song was Headlong Flight, the album would get weary, plus the lyrics implicate slower songs. Halo Effect is about the main character getting dumped by a chick, you wouldn't want Carvan like sounds to describe that. The Garden is about the character "moving on" and tending to his metaphorical garden. It HAS to be emotional and the way they executed the song is beyond exceptional for its meaning. Basically, if you want complete metal, then you are not a concept album person. Unless the concept is built around the movie Project X or something.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 5 2012, 07:34 PM)
Really? Hell, I think it's his best vocal on the album. biggrin.gif

His voice and vibrato sound so tired and shaky to me. I listen to it and think of how great it could be with a younger really great singer on it.

Im still ok with his voice on the heavier stuff because the flaws are masked but when the music is stripped away the quality of his voice is just really exposed and dont like how it sounds at all. Just my opinion. He's not a good singer anymore at his age so I think songs like that just are not what he's best at these days.

QUOTE (UltimoGuitarist @ Jun 5 2012, 09:05 PM)
I'm seeing a lot of people hella enjoying up themselves some The Garden. Personally I'm always more driven towards songs that are musically challenging/interesting than lyrics. I don't usually pay much attention to lyrics in general in fact.

Having said that, I'm not a huge fan of The Garden. So I'm not understanding the hype. I might even go as far as to say it blows, just to stir the controversial pot. =p

Anyone else out there share my distaste for the song? Or is it just me.

PS: Just want to say that the majority of the album is flipping amazing. I just don't care for this song, or BU2B2 or Halo Effect. Too boring...

Given your little post, I don't think you pay much attention to grammar and/or education in general, sonny boy