Official Clockwork Angels Initial Reactions thread

The Owl

QUOTE (Earthshine_sf @ Jun 6 2012, 05:07 PM)
Will Geddy use a megaphone live?

...for say, the vocals during the middle "jazzy" section of Clockwork Angels?

Or will they just flip on an effect? (Or, perhaps those vocal parts will just be pre-recorded so Ged can jam around the stage?)

I can't imagine seeing this: rofl3.gif

http://www.mymedialibrary.com/ged-fone.jpg

I don't think Geddy will have enough hands free to use a megaphone! Unless they lower it from the lighting grid, and he can be hands free with it.

I don't know if it has been mentioned, but the outro~jam few measures at the end of Clockwork Angels seems like a nod to the Fountain of Lamneth ending...even though the main riff is "Grand"...(which has been mentioned)

ph34r.gif

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Jun 5 2012, 11:51 AM)
Wow how can anybody not like the title track?
Song is f***ing awesome!!

i'm not going to say i don't like it because it's not that bad, but i don't find myself wanting to listen to it at any time during the day if that makes any sense. confused13.gif

Based on my first few listens, I think it's a pretty solid album through and through. Although I must say that I am not a fan, at all, of the vocal effects that Geddy uses in Clockwork Angels and The Anarchist no.gif

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Jun 6 2012, 05:10 PM)
QUOTE (Earthshine_sf @ Jun 6 2012, 05:07 PM)
Will Geddy use a megaphone live?

...for say, the vocals during the middle "jazzy" section of Clockwork Angels?

Or will they just flip on an effect? (Or, perhaps those vocal parts will just be pre-recorded so Ged can jam around the stage?)

I can't imagine seeing this:  rofl3.gif

http://www.mymedialibrary.com/ged-fone.jpg

I don't think Geddy will have enough hands free to use a megaphone! Unless they lower it from the lighting grid, and he can be hands free with it.

One band, let's call them.. Pennyback.. uses effects like that and basically what they do is have a second mic mounted onto the main mic stand. The singer.. Brad Kreger.. Just shifts his head a bit to the side and BAM, he's singing into the second mic with all the necessary effects.

I could see them doing this.

Or maybe they'll just let Lerxst talk again

The more I listen the more it occurs to me that I don't really love any one song from start to finish. There are some great sections, choruses and bridges, but a lot of the song are disjointed. Some of themtransitions are weak or nonexistent, too.

I love the intro to CA, but the rest of the song disappoints. I love the chorus of Carnies, but it doesn't go with the rest of the song. Love the chorus of wreckers, but again, the rest of the song - meh.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jun 6 2012, 12:09 PM)
Playing The Garden again, Jesus H, this is HUGE. That piano, those lyrics, the strings.

This is a song by men who have lived, loved and lost, like all of us, but luckily for us, they make something astonishing out of their experiences. This is not something tossed off by some Prog wannabe or some supposed technical wunderkind. This is music to nourish the soul.

It ends with magic.

What he said!

Now that I've had a few days to absorb CA, here's my take, for what it's worth:

Of course, its impossible to measure anything Rush has done in the last 15 or 20 years with anything they did in their "salad days" -- just not the same guys, they've grown and evolved, as players, as writers, as people. That last point is what struck me most about the story of Clockwork Angels.

The protagonist is not the same young man who felt life was not worth living, and ended it all in a "grand finale" on 2112; no, this guy is a guy who has grown up and seen that life is worth living, and all you can do is make the most of what life hands you, wish everyone well, and move on, which incidentally, has become my philosophy over the last several years as well as I have grown. This attitude is the sign of a more mature Neil Peart and gives The Garden more poignancy.

But backing up a bit ...

As I said, this is "new Rush". And I define that to include everything from Presto through CA. And out of that batch, the only thing that could beat CA in my mind is Counterparts. Vapor Trails would be a close third, hampered only by its production.

Track by track ... Caravan. Love the new changes to the track. A great song is even greater!

BU2B - the same for this song, the little introduction adds to an already great track.

Clockwork Angels -- took me a couple of listens to get into this one but I find myself going back to it regularly now. One of the strongest tracks on the album.

The Anarchist -- solid track, but doesn't really distinguish itself in the way other tracks do on the album.

Carnies -- another one that took a couple of listens. The riff is great. Love the feel of the song. Its reminds me of a cross between "Battle Scar and ELP's "Black Moon".

Halo Effect -- nice change of pace. Not the most outstanding track, but gives the listener a breather.

Seven Cities of Gold -- another strong track that is steadily growing on me.

The Wreckers -- really digging this one! A standout for me personally.

Headlong Flight -- still as good as it ever was!

BU2B -- serves the story, but out of context is unnecessary.

Wish Them Well -- felt repetitive and weak the first time through, but I can't stop humming it! It really is catchy. And I love the lyrics.

The Garden - sublime, and about the most beautiful song Rush has ever recorded. Reminiscent of The Sphere. It's not a perfect song, but it is a fulfilling climax to the album.

Overall, it beats SnA by miles.

Edited by wilb1972

QUOTE (wilb1972 @ Jun 7 2012, 07:29 AM)
Now that I've had a few days to absorb CA, here's my take, for what it's worth:

Of course, its impossible to measure anything Rush has done in the last 15 or 20 years with anything they did in their "salad days" -- just not the same guys, they've grown and evolved, as players, as writers, as people. That last point is what struck me most about the story of Clockwork Angels.
The protagonist is not the same young man who felt life was not worth living, and ended it all in a "grand finale" on 2112; no, this guy is a guy who has grown up and seen that life is worth living, and all you can do is make the most of what life hands you, wish everyone well, and move on, which incidentally, has become my philosophy over the last several years as well as I have grown. This attitude is the sign of a more mature Neil Peart and gives The Garden more poignancy.

But backing up a bit ...

As I said, this is "new Rush". And I define that to include everything from Presto through CA. And out of that batch, the only thing that could beat CA in my mind is Counterparts. Vapor Trails would be a close third, hampered only by its production.

Track by track ... Caravan. Love the new changes to the track. A great song is even greater!

BU2B - the same for this song, the little introduction adds to an already great track.

Clockwork Angels -- took me a couple of listens to get into this one but I find myself going back to it regularly now. One of the strongest tracks on the album.

The Anarchist -- solid track, but doesn't really distinguish itself in the way other tracks do on the album.

Carnies -- another one that took a couple of listens. The riff is great. Love the feel of the song. Its reminds me of a cross between "Battle Scar and ELP's "Black Moon".

Halo Effect -- nice change of pace. Not the most outstanding track, but gives the listener a breather.

Seven Cities of Gold -- another strong track that is steadily growing on me.

The Wreckers -- really digging this one! A standout for me personally.

Headlong Flight -- still as good as it ever was!

BU2B -- serves the story, but out of context is unnecessary.

Wish Them Well -- felt repetitive and weak the first time through, but I can't stop humming it! It really is catchy. And I love the lyrics.

The Garden - sublime, and about the most beautiful song Rush has ever recorded. Reminiscent of The Sphere. It's not a perfect song, but it is a fulfilling climax to the album.

Overall, it beats SnA by miles.

goodpost.gif goodpost.gif

Alas, the excitement is starting to fade. The album is starting to settle within the ranks. Aside from S&A which is an excellent release, this release is probably almost as strong as CP which was as strong as PoW with me.

currently fits somewhere here:

PoW

S&A

CA

CP

Wish Them Well has already begun to be skipped. sad.gif

Edited by Gompers

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 7 2012, 07:59 AM)
Alas, the excitement is starting to fade. The album is starting to settle within the ranks. Aside from S&A which is an excellent release, this release is probably almost as strong as CP which was as strong as PoW with me.

PoW
S&A
CA
CP

Wish Them Well has already begun to be skipped. sad.gif

Already bored and the album isn't even out yet? wink.gif tongue.gif

After the first listens I 'm not able to skip one song of this fine, shining concept album. It's a Clockwork Universe!!!

I am still early in my listening...so can't review just yet.

One thing I have to say...everyone that brought up how good The Wreckers was, specifically the chorus was right on par.

This song is absolutely fantastic...arguably my favourite chorus from them in ions. Simply outstanding. wub.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 7 2012, 09:02 AM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 7 2012, 07:59 AM)

PoW
S&A
CA
CP

Wish Them Well has already begun to be skipped.  sad.gif

Already bored and the album isn't even out yet? wink.gif tongue.gif

This bothers me. I want to like this one and was pumped. You know though, maybe I should put it down. I have it in my car and MP3 player for the gym exclusively. At work I throw it in the overall mix.

Edited by Gompers

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 7 2012, 12:24 PM)
Also, I recall hearing some people don't like Seven Cities...

How?

Awesome stuff here...I especially the pre-verse parts that Alex is playing. Such an awesome groove IMO. 1022.gif

Alex's solo both in the middle and at the end is eerie and squeaky.....badass! 1022.gif

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 7 2012, 10:27 AM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 7 2012, 12:24 PM)
Also, I recall hearing some people don't like Seven Cities...

How?

Awesome stuff here...I especially the pre-verse parts that Alex is playing. Such an awesome groove IMO.  1022.gif

Alex's solo both in the middle and at the end is eerie and squeaky.....badass! 1022.gif

Yes, Seven Cities of Gold kicks ass! 1022.gif