The Garden (so far)

treeduck

I like the sound of this song, I like that vocal melody

And it sounds like it could explode into the kind of heavy metal noise that I know most you RUSH morons out there want to hear!

1022.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 3 2012, 08:08 PM)
And it sounds like it could explode into the kind of heavy metal noise that I know most you RUSH morons out there want to hear!

You included wink.gif

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Jun 3 2012, 07:13 PM)

You included wink.gif

That's a term of endearment...

smile.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 3 2012, 08:14 PM)
QUOTE (mazyyz @ Jun 3 2012, 07:13 PM)

You included wink.gif

That's a term of endearment...

smile.gif

laugh.gif

I'm at a hotel in Pikeville, KY right now but earlier I managed to sneak a listen at the newer samples, and I have to say, not a single one of those samples had me disappointed! A couple of the tracks had a bit of a Vapor Trails feel to it, but with excellent production quality that we are most likely getting with this album, that is NOT a bad thing. (I love VT)

THE WRECKERS IS f***ing AWESOME!!!

WISH THEM WELL IS f***ing AWESOME!!!

CLOCKWORK ANGELS IS f***ing AWESOME!!!

BU2B2 IS f***ing pretty cool!

Oy vey my only fear is that ill miss out on the leak! My only access to the interwebs out in coal country are free wifi hotspots and my iPad!

Maybe I should stay off of here until I get back home laugh.gif

Edited by Tarkus406

When you listen to all of the prerelease messaging coming from the band and producer about stripping away the overdubs and clutter, you have to wonder about how the decision to add strings fits in with their leaner, back to basics approach to arrangements. I mean isn't Al's opening guitar part pretty enough to stand on its own merit? The addition of strings sounds just pretensions, superfluous, and completely shoehorned into the arrangement.

QUOTE (lonelymoon @ Jun 3 2012, 08:55 PM)
When you listen to all of the prerelease messaging coming from the band and producer about stripping away the overdubs and clutter, you have to wonder about how the decision to add strings fits in with their leaner, back to basics approach to arrangements. I mean isn't Al's opening guitar part pretty enough to stand on its own merit? The addition of strings sounds just pretensions, superfluous, and completely shoehorned into the arrangement.

wrong. That first 22 seconds is some of the most haunting atmospheric stuff I've ever heard in a Rush song. We'll see iff the rest of the track holds up but I have a feeling the strings are going to be great in this song. yes.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 3 2012, 07:58 PM)
QUOTE (lonelymoon @ Jun 3 2012, 08:55 PM)
When you listen to all of the prerelease messaging coming from the band and producer about stripping away the overdubs and clutter, you have to wonder about how the decision to add strings fits in with their leaner, back to basics approach to arrangements.  I mean isn't Al's opening guitar part pretty enough to stand on its own merit?  The addition of strings sounds just pretensions, superfluous, and completely shoehorned into the arrangement.

wrong. That first 22 seconds is some of the most haunting atmospheric stuff I've ever heard in a Rush song. We'll see iff the rest of the track holds up but I have a feeling the strings are going to be great in this song. yes.gif

Agreed, I can't imagine a better start to a song than what I've heard both from Geddy and the instrumentation. It's going to sound huge and the strings are a large part of it.

I say the band has the talent to create a haunting atmosphere on their own and without having to resort to a corny cliche like strings. Or is this supposed to be an homage to Tears just like the riff in HF is an homage to Bastille Day? Corny and self-important

in either case.

QUOTE (lonelymoon @ Jun 3 2012, 09:08 PM)
I say the band has the talent to create a haunting atmosphere on their own and without having to resort to a corny cliche like strings. Or is this supposed to be an homage to Tears just like the riff in HF is an homage to Bastille Day? Corny and self-important
in either case.

Love strings on rock records. They sounded great in the 90's with bands like Collective Soul and The Cranberries. If I can't have more keys like I wanted then I will take strings for added atmosphere. Sounded great on Manhattan Project as well.

in either case.

eyesre4.gif

I'm starting to really not like you

QUOTE (Snaked @ Jun 3 2012, 09:18 PM)
yep. strings are corny and cliche... so glad songs like Marathon and Losing It didn't resort to such tactics.

uh, what?

Yeah, but both songs you're referring to are considered to be old Rush, so it's okay to have strings in those. But in newer songs? Blech!

wacko.gif

in either case.

This post sounds corny and self important.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 3 2012, 08:20 PM)
I say the band has the talent to create a haunting atmosphere on their own and without having to resort to a corny cliche like strings.  Or is this supposed to be an homage to Tears just like the riff in HF is an homage to Bastille Day?  Corny and self-important
in either case.

This post sounds corny and self important.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ Jun 3 2012, 10:20 PM)
QUOTE (Snaked @ Jun 3 2012, 09:18 PM)
yep.  strings are corny and cliche... so glad songs like Marathon and Losing It didn't resort to such tactics. 

uh, what?

Yeah, but both songs you're referring to are considered to be old Rush, so it's okay to have strings in those. But in newer songs? Blech!

wacko.gif

oh thats right!

I forgot.

My bad!!! oops.gif

This was a stand-out for me, too. So far I like this and The Wreckers the best out of the new songs.