new clips rule out going to see this tour

lonelymoon

QUOTE (lonelymoon @ Jun 3 2012, 06:37 PM)
Like most of you, I am disappointed by the Italian clips, and I don't think it's realistic to hope that each song has a radically different surprise part that will make them great when we finally hear the whole thing. I really don't understand what Al is doing by just plodding away on power chords on EVERY tune. Joan Jett could play this stuff. He used to be such a creative, melodic guitarist with a deft touch and would always surprise you. Now he's Joan Jett. I have tix for Montreal in October, but I don't know if it would be enjoyable sit through all of CA to hear a bit of earlier, better material. I don't mind Ged's ongoing vocal style; I think some notes in the vocal lines are deliberately atonal for an eerie, unsettling effect. It's the fact that Al is just banging on boring power chords that makes this one really jump the shark for me.

eh.gif

couldnt agree more, you put into words exactly how i'm feeling right now about those chords you mentioned..... i'm just hoping the full versions more creative and deft as you put it

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 3 2012, 06:06 PM)
Maybe it's just a style that Alex enjoys. Why must he do arpeggios because that's the kind of thing we like most? In the 80s a lot of fans complained because Lifeson's guitars were often merely accent points and shimmering textures and that they'd gotten away from riffing. Now he's riffing and people complain that that's all he does. biggrin.gif We should start a petition and outline the TYPES of styles that Lifeson should stick with to hold our attention.

a little more variation and more kick ass solos is what I would like....if you are happy with simpleton power cords, then great. My opinion...

I hate to keep bringing up Mars Volta but I REALLY love their guitarist Omar. The dude is ridiculously creative.

In the chorus of this song he uses dissonant chords, and in the verses uses weird effects to fill out the sound. Im way more into what he's doing than Alex these days.

Then in the same song totally switches it up.

EDIT: guitar at 4:30 rules too. One of my favorite guitarists out there right now.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 3 2012, 06:42 PM)
Im going to the tour even if I hate this album. Could be the last chance I ever get to see them. And Ill go for whatever songs they play outside this album that I havent seen yet in my 17 shows so far, and thats always nice to see songs I havent seen them play yet. Worth the price of admission for me and the memories Ill have looking back when the band is done.

I didnt regret going to the S&A tour and I hated that album. I got to see Circumstances, Passage to Bangkok and some others I hadnt yet seen.

Don't worry Jack, even if they never do another album, you KNOW they're gonna do at least six more tours including R40...

trink36.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 3 2012, 07:42 PM)
Im going to the tour even if I hate this album. Could be the last chance I ever get to see them. And Ill go for whatever songs they play outside this album that I havent seen yet in my 17 shows so far, and thats always nice to see songs I havent seen them play yet. Worth the price of admission for me and the memories Ill have looking back when the band is done.

I didnt regret going to the S&A tour and I hated that album. I got to see Circumstances, Passage to Bangkok and some others I hadnt yet seen.

wtf.gif S&A was a good album overall...much better than Vapor Trails. They just played too many songs from it on tour. I hope they only play a max 4 tracks from CA.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 3 2012, 06:56 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 3 2012, 06:47 PM)
If it's good, then awesome.  If it sucks then...that sucks.

either way life goes on. biggrin.gif

Unless you're the Miami Zombie!

ph34r.gif

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Jun 3 2012, 07:11 PM)

wtf.gif S&A was a good album overall...much better than Vapor Trails. They just played too many songs from it on tour. I hope they only play a max 4 tracks from CA.

I didnt like the 60s folk vibe of it. My opinion, dont worry about it. If you like it, great.

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Jun 3 2012, 06:11 PM)

I thought you hated it....I guess it grew on you?

when I was learning to play guitar as a teenager, I wanted to learn Alex's stuff. He had a ton of signature parts: the picking at start of Closer to the Heart, opening of Fly By Night, harmonics at start of red barchetta, opening of free will, etc. etc. These were classic recognizable riffs like stairway to heaven or needle and the damage done or here comes the sun. You could pick up a guitar, play the start of a rush song, and your friends would say, "cool, that's limelight!" I haven't heard any guitar playing yet on CA that would make a guitar player think "that's so cool, how does that go" and reach for his guitar to figure it out.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 3 2012, 08:14 PM)

I think like any new album from a band that has produced so much as Rush has....they all eventually grow on you.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 3 2012, 07:06 PM)
Maybe it's just a style that Alex enjoys. Why must he do arpeggios because that's the kind of thing we like most? In the 80s a lot of fans complained because Lifeson's guitars were often merely accent points and shimmering textures and that they'd gotten away from riffing. Now he's riffing and people complain that that's all he does. biggrin.gif We should start a petition and outline the TYPES of styles that Lifeson should stick with to hold our attention.

see, those shimmering textures you so eloquently described, are what made Alex great for me.... like he wasnt just a guitar player, more like a master sound effects artist at times who happened to use a rock guitar

thats what made him Alex Lifeson of Rush

gimme more shimmering textures please keep the wah wah pedals smile.gif

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Jun 3 2012, 06:15 PM)

I think like any new album from a band that has produced so much as Rush has....they all eventually grow on you.

good to see you back here dude.... cool.gif

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 3 2012, 07:08 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 3 2012, 06:06 PM)
Maybe it's just a style that Alex enjoys.  Why must he do arpeggios because that's the kind of thing we like most?  In the 80s a lot of fans complained because Lifeson's guitars were often merely accent points and shimmering textures and that they'd gotten away from riffing.  Now he's riffing and people complain that that's all he does.  biggrin.gif  We should start a petition and outline the TYPES of styles that Lifeson should stick with to hold our attention.

a little more variation and more kick ass solos is what I would like....if you are happy with simpleton power cords, then great. My opinion...

Well some weren't happy with shimmering guitar splash accents under a bevy of keyboards for what, nearly a decade(?), so an ass for every seat indeed. Working Man is terribly simpleton too. Any elecrtic guitar student day ONE can pluck those notes with aplomb...but simple doesn't necessarily equate to uninteresting either. I love the prog notion that complex equals interesting.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 3 2012, 07:06 PM)
QUOTE (lonelymoon @ Jun 3 2012, 05:37 PM)
Like most of you, I am disappointed by the Italian clips, and I don't think it's realistic to hope that each song has a radically different surprise part that will make them great when we finally hear the whole thing.  I really don't understand what Al is doing by just plodding away on power chords on EVERY tune.  Joan Jett could play this stuff.  He used to be such a creative, melodic guitarist with a deft touch and would always surprise you.  Now he's Joan Jett.  I have tix for Montreal in October, but I don't know if it would be enjoyable sit through all of CA to hear a bit of earlier, better material.  I don't mind Ged's ongoing vocal style;  I think some notes in the vocal lines are deliberately atonal for an eerie, unsettling effect.  It's the fact that Al is just banging on boring power chords that makes this one really jump the shark for me. 

eh.gif

To me, the vocals didn't sound too bad in those clips....not sure about the vocal lines though....too hard to tell from those. The vocals are my biggest concern regarding this album, especially coming from S&A which was ruined in large part by the lack of vocal melodies (shoehorning or cramming lyrics to make them work), and his vocal delivery....

And his best/worst Slim Whitman attempts on the last two albums. Hope to hear less of that.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 3 2012, 07:10 PM)
I hate to keep bringing up Mars Volta but I REALLY love their guitarist Omar. The dude is ridiculously creative.

In the chorus of this song he uses dissonant chords, and in the verses uses weird effects to fill out the sound. Im way more into what he's doing than Alex these days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pafNgzGRjFk

Then in the same song totally switches it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pafNgzGRjFk#t=03m05s

EDIT: guitar at 4:30 rules too. One of my favorite guitarists out there right now.

Wow, that's really trippy and out there! cool10.gif tongue.gif

I can understand a strong opinion if the album was heard in its entirety, otherwise wait for final judgement.

All I know is, new Rush music has always grown on me, no matter how much a catchy riff first grabs me. I might hate the new album, I might love the new album or I may simply like it.

Time will tell...

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Jun 3 2012, 08:15 PM)

BTW...what up bro?

QUOTE (lifeson90 @ Jun 3 2012, 07:16 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 3 2012, 07:06 PM)
Maybe it's just a style that Alex enjoys.  Why must he do arpeggios because that's the kind of thing we like most?  In the 80s a lot of fans complained because Lifeson's guitars were often merely accent points and shimmering textures and that they'd gotten away from riffing.  Now he's riffing and people complain that that's all he does.  biggrin.gif  We should start a petition and outline the TYPES of styles that Lifeson should stick with to hold our attention.

see, those shimmering textures you so eloquently described, are what made Alex great for me.... like he wasnt just a guitar player, more like a master sound effects artist at times who happened to use a rock guitar

thats what made him Alex Lifeson of Rush

gimme more shimmering textures please keep the wah wah pedals smile.gif

And I'm not complaining about them either, but many DID at the time. It's not like every Rush fan ADORED Power Windows and GUP and HYF when they came out. biggrin.gif A lot of fans uttered a great sigh of what the f**k. In hindsight you see a lot more love than you did at the time. I like that fact that he's varied...but power chords are a part of that variety too. If all he ever did from day one was the exact same thing, like Angus f***ing Young, then BORING. But he's been a hearty guy full of variety over the years. This is just another texture. That's how I look at it. But some prog people have to have their shit weird and complex or it's just any rock band shit. I guess I give them a little more slack than that.

QUOTE (lonelymoon @ Jun 3 2012, 07:15 PM)
when I was learning to play guitar as a teenager, I wanted to learn Alex's stuff. He had a ton of signature parts: the picking at start of Closer to the Heart, opening of Fly By Night, harmonics at start of red barchetta, opening of free will, etc. etc. These were classic recognizable riffs like stairway to heaven or needle and the damage done or here comes the sun. You could pick up a guitar, play the start of a rush song, and your friends would say, "cool, that's limelight!" I haven't heard any guitar playing yet on CA that would make a guitar player think "that's so cool, how does that go" and reach for his guitar to figure it out.

So what's your point? I'm still trying to learn Alex's stuff on guitar, and I want to pick up and play the intro to Main Monkey Business, or jam along to One Little Victory. I mean, yeah, I love to play the intro to Limelight too, but Alex had simple intros back in the day also. Working Man comes to mind. Same with the intro to Natural Science. They're simple.

Alex uses a lot of barre chords in his new music, just like he did with the older tunes. They're not all power chords, and they're not Joan Jett.

hey trenken, thanks for the links. cool stuff. "metatron" reminds me of Zappa. wicked lead around the 3 minute mark. Maybe I should skip CA and spend my 15 bucks on a Mars Volta album. doesn't seem like a bad idea at this point. wink.gif Edited by lonelymoon

yep, from 2 random 30 second clips of each song you can tell that the album sucks.

maybe I should cancel my amazon pre-order and sell my 4th row opening night tix.. would save me a lotta cash since I wouldnt have to travel to New Hampshire.

hell, I could take the savings and stay in Manhattan for a night after the Flying Colors show.

great idea!

comp26.gif comp26.gif comp26.gif

It kinda boggles my mind with some of you. Some of you heard the first 30 sec. samples from walmart.com and said they interested you but you didn't want to get your hopes up. Now you dislike the second batch of samples and it's, "OH NOES, IT'S ALL OVER."

I listened to a couple of samples and they didn't blow my mind. But I'm not sharting my pants, saying I don't want to go to live shows and such.

It's just really weird, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.