Clockwork Angels---Geddy's voice

Tombstone Mountain

QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ May 31 2012, 12:22 AM)
I'm actually still very impressed on how high he can hit some notes, though. He stated himself that a part in Freewill that in the studio version, he hits his highest range he can. And during the Time Machine tour, he pulls it out pretty smoothly in my opinion. Especially for hitting 60's. Quite impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDUXE9-SS4s...169B790D15C9A72

...Go to 4:05, that should be the beginning of the vocal part. Plus, a lovely Neil expression that I still laugh at every time I see it.

The problem for me when he tries to sing those high parts it really tires out his vocal chords, so right after it he sounds terrible singing the low chorus in Freewill. Does that dumb yodle thing he does when his voice is tired.

I wouldnt have any problems with him bailing on all high parts live, sing them an octave lower so he sounds better for the rest of the show and sounds good singing all the low stuff rather than hit a few highs during a show then sound awful throughout the entire thing because of it.

Maybe he thinks his fans would be disappointed if he never sang that high part in Freewill again or anything else upstairs, but I wouldn't be. I can't watch their live DVDs anymore, and I stopped buying them because it's so painful for me to sit there listening to him struggle so much.

QUOTE (greg2112 @ May 31 2012, 05:55 AM)
Best Geddy vox - 79-82

Worst Geddy vox - the oooh and aaah overdubs on S&A.

His voice sounds great now.

I dont like those ooh's and yodles he's doing on a couple S&A songs but I actually think he was worse on VT.

The vocal layering he strangely felt the need to do in the absense of keys sounded so ridiculous and muddy to me. Plus on one of the best songs on the album IMO, the title track, it's ruined by that Ehhh heyy ehhh in the chorus. They badly needed a producer with some control to tell him not to do that crap.

Then in another great chorus, the powerful melodic section of Freeze, once again it's ruined by all the doo do doo do dooo dooood dodoooDDOOOOODdDDOOODOOOO GAHHHHH STOP GEDDY!!!! LOLLL

So yeah, I thought VT was a bit worse than S&A. Better now on CA since they had a producer that they actually listened to not let them do any stupid shit vocally, from what I can tell so far.

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ May 31 2012, 12:50 AM)
QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 31 2012, 01:13 AM)
QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 30 2012, 08:52 PM)
Speaking of Geddy's voice, I just watched the Rush "SARS-stock" Toronto performance from '03, and Geddy's voice sounds quite good. I was impressed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia6MQpN_AtA

Anyone out there seen it?

OMG in this performance, in Dreamline (at 10:08) does Alex actually sing backup vocals? It sure sounds like it! ohmy.gif

Isn't this the one where they screwed up their mics and you could really hear Alex singing the chorus during Freewill?

Yeah, I just watched Freewill again and during the chorus all you can hear is Alex! ohmy.gif The man actually has a half-decent voice! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

It seems like on Rush live DVDs, Alex is always pretending to sing along, so it's funny that you can actually hear him this time. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ May 31 2012, 06:57 AM)
QUOTE (greg2112 @ May 31 2012, 05:55 AM)
Best Geddy vox - 79-82

Worst Geddy vox - the oooh and aaah overdubs on S&A.

His voice sounds great now.

I dont like those ooh's and yodles he's doing on a couple S&A songs but I actually think he was worse on VT.

The vocal layering he strangely felt the need to do in the absense of keys sounded so ridiculous and muddy to me. Plus on one of the best songs on the album IMO, the title track, it's ruined by that Ehhh heyy ehhh in the chorus. They badly needed a producer with some control to tell him not to do that crap.

Then in another great chorus, the powerful melodic section of Freeze, once again it's ruined by all the doo do doo do dooo dooood dodoooDDOOOOODdDDOOODOOOO GAHHHHH STOP GEDDY!!!! LOLLL

So yeah, I thought VT was a bit worse than S&A. Better now on CA since they had a producer that they actually listened to not let them do any stupid shit vocally, from what I can tell so far.

I think the harmonies for the pre-chorus from Eathshine are some of the best vocals he's ever done, easily - so it's really hit or miss.

I credit him for trying new things rather then taking the easy way.

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 30 2012, 11:52 PM)
Speaking of Geddy's voice, I just watched the Rush "SARS-stock" Toronto performance from '03, and Geddy's voice sounds quite good. I was impressed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia6MQpN_AtA

Anyone out there seen it?

I was there for that performance, pretty freaking close to the stage too. Let's just say it was OUT OF THIS WORLD. Almost unimaginable being in such a diverse crowd, 90 percent of people there to see other bands from AC/DC to Justin Timberlake, and to see everyone's reaction.

It was amazing...

QUOTE (trenken @ May 31 2012, 05:49 AM)
The problem for me when he tries to sing those high parts it really tires out his vocal chords, so right after it he sounds terrible singing the low chorus in Freewill. Does that dumb yodle thing he does when his voice is tired.

See, I comepletely disagree with this.

Back in the late 80's, early nineties - it seemed impossible for him to even attempt those kind of vocals, so I'm thrilled that he has that sort of ghusto so late in his career, and t's not as if he's spending most of the show trying to hit notes like that.

That moment in Freewill is a fun throwback to the old days - and it's a total, crowdpleasing "WOW" moment.

Why fault him for that becuase he's a little shakey for a few bars on the return?

GeddyFinal.gif You guys cutting down a rock icon's singing are full of shit!!!!. There is nothing wrong with his voice!!!. Buy the new album, sit back and enjoy, then have a huge helping ao CROW, don't choke on it, wouldn't want to mess up your voice . Edited by canadianice

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 30 2012, 08:02 PM)
Well, unlike most people...I've never had an issue with his vocals.

People keep complaining about his vocals nowadays...yeah, he's almost 60 now. He's not going to sing like he's 20. That's just a fact of life.

I love the way he sings now...his vocals were fantastic on S&A and are equally fantastic on the first three singles of CA as well IMO.

I do agree that he should keep focusing on singing at a lower register. But, I will say...his vocals on HF (especially the "I wish that I could live it all aggggaaaaaaaainn") give me chills. Love it. 1022.gif

Agreed.

I couldn't believe my ears when I heard HF for the first time. I was blown away.

QUOTE (trenken @ May 30 2012, 02:13 PM)
QUOTE (Shredder2 @ May 30 2012, 01:48 PM)
Guys, we're talking about Geddy Lee here! Sure his voice may be given out to sing the high-pitched vocal parts (like in "Freewill"), but he sure as hell knows how to make his voice work with certain classics today (like the "Limelight" chorus). His voice came out fantastic in Headlong Flight, if you ask me.

He struggles to sing stuff like Limelight. You can just hear his voice is really beat down after all these years of abusing it, and smoking for many years sure didn't help either.

He's doing what he can, but his voice is clearly so tired, and it sounds like that right from the start of tours. He barely sounds like the same guy from 30 years ago. It's very odd to me how he doesn't even sound like the same singer, his actual voice itself has really changed due to deterioration.

A lot of guys with very powerful voices like for example Sammy Hagar still sounds like the same guy he did when he was 25, and is still able to nail extreme highs like Geddy did when he was a kid. Sammy isn't a smoker but is a big time tequila drinker, although drinking doesn't have as much of a negative effect on your vocals.

Kind of related, but I just noticed Alex messed up at

:s

QUOTE (Majestyk @ May 31 2012, 12:26 AM)
IMO, his best vocals were in the 80's and early 90's. I would not say his voice has "matured" since then. It has gotten old and strained sounding. But he does still manage to make it sound good in the studio, which is good enough for me.

Studio efforts are awesome. This album is going to be like drinking the best moonshine in the world!!!!

trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif

I think Geddy's voice is worse on Fly By Night through A Farewell to Kings than it is on Test For Echo through the 3 new songs from Clockwork Angels. With the exception of the title track on Fly By Night, Passage to Bangkok, and Temples of Syrinx, I find his voice annoying on the those first few records. Just listen to Bastille Day for some awful vocals. Much worse than Armor and Sword.

QUOTE (CruisingInPrimetime @ May 31 2012, 09:28 PM)
I think Geddy's voice is worse on Fly By Night through A Farewell to Kings than it is on Test For Echo through the 3 new songs from Clockwork Angels. With the exception of the title track on Fly By Night, Passage to Bangkok, and Temples of Syrinx, I find his voice annoying on the those first few records. Just listen to Bastille Day for some awful vocals. Much worse than Armor and Sword.

I agree. I love Geddy's voice now, especially on S&A and the three songs from CA. I don't like his vocals on the first Rush albums.

QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ May 31 2012, 03:34 PM)
QUOTE (CruisingInPrimetime @ May 31 2012, 09:28 PM)
I think Geddy's voice is worse on Fly By Night through A Farewell to Kings than it is on Test For Echo through the 3 new songs from Clockwork Angels.  With the exception of the title track on Fly By Night, Passage to Bangkok, and Temples of Syrinx, I find his voice annoying on the those first few records.  Just listen to Bastille Day for some awful vocals.  Much worse than Armor and Sword.

I agree. I love Geddy's voice now, especially on S&A and the three songs from CA. I don't like his vocals on the first Rush albums.

Maybe I'm the weird one, but I love all of his vocals 1287.gif

In the car earlier I sang Headlong Flight followed by AFTK, then Marathon. I sincerely love how his voice has progressed

QUOTE (eshine @ May 31 2012, 11:22 AM)

Back in the late 80's, early nineties - it seemed impossible for him to even attempt those kind of vocals, so I'm thrilled that he has that sort of ghusto so late in his career, and t's not as if he's spending most of the show trying to hit notes like that.

That moment in Freewill is a fun throwback to the old days - and it's a total, crowdpleasing "WOW" moment.

Why fault him for that becuase he's a little shakey for a few bars on the return?

Quite agree...Live performances always differ...and the quality of the performance has so many variables which can affect it. Studio wise he's delivered quality stuff and developed a little more with every album.

VT gets kicked around a lot on the forums as being one of the worst albums and album efforts. However one's opinion goes, i must say that Geddy sounds passionate and emotional on that record.

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jun 1 2012, 09:08 AM)

Quite agree...Live performances always differ...and the quality of the performance has so many variables which can affect it. Studio wise he's delivered quality stuff and developed a little more with every album.

VT gets kicked around a lot on the forums as being one of the worst albums and album efforts. However one's opinion goes, i must say that Geddy sounds passionate and emotional on that record.

VT is incredible, those people are just audiophiles that wont even give it a chance. They have listened once and no more, which is absurd considering Rush albums usually need a few spins to fully conceive the greatness. If VT had better sound quality it would be positively reviewed around here, even some critics thought that VT was a great record (on Metacritic) bitchslap.gif

QUOTE (GeddyLeeFender @ Jun 1 2012, 04:46 PM)
QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jun 1 2012, 09:08 AM)

VT is incredible, those people are just audiophiles that wont even give it a chance. They have listened once and no more, which is absurd considering Rush albums usually need a few spins to fully conceive the greatness. If VT had better sound quality it would be positively reviewed around here, even some critics thought that VT was a great record (on Metacritic) bitchslap.gif

I'm excited to see how Geddy approaches this new effort. Seems to be a gift for us I'm sure!

Of all the music out there, Geddy's voice and Rush's music are still what I want to hear most, to the extent that I'm stoked for the new album and the shows I'm going to. That's the only standard that I care about!

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Jun 3 2012, 01:54 PM)
Of all the music out there, Geddy's voice and Rush's music are still what I want to hear most, to the extent that I'm stoked for the new album and the shows I'm going to. That's the only standard that I care about!

Do you live near a beach?

unsure.gif

30,000?

cheer.gif

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Jun 3 2012, 02:08 PM)
Let's all give Geddy a hug and wish him another great tour (especially in St. Louis and Atlanta).

Hell Yeah...his voice is crankin' on this effort so far...live he will do the best he can...and that's all we could ever ask of anyone!!!

trink39.gif

My only issue with Geddy's vocals of late is that I don't think that his voice is well suited for more than one harmony track. When they start with the "Geddy choir" stuff, I really don't care for it. As far as his voice now compared to the old days. I think that he's doing fine. Let's face it, as people age, their voices change, especially "throat singers" like most rock vocalists are. I'm sure that the 3 hour shows also contribute to the fatigue during concerts.

If you listen to properly trained singers (Darryl Hall comes to mind), most of them sound great even into old age, but Geddy does not fall into that category. Personally, I think that they still put on a hell of a show, and I always look forward to their new releases, even if they are not my favorite Rush albums.

I'll be seeing them on this tour, and I'm sure they will be great as usual!

QUOTE (bruggy66 @ Jun 4 2012, 09:29 AM)
My only issue with Geddy's vocals of late is that I don't think that his voice is well suited for more than one harmony track. When they start with the "Geddy choir" stuff, I really don't care for it. As far as his voice now compared to the old days. I think that he's doing fine. Let's face it, as people age, their voices change, especially "throat singers" like most rock vocalists are. I'm sure that the 3 hour shows also contribute to the fatigue during concerts.

If you listen to properly trained singers (Darryl Hall comes to mind), most of them sound great even into old age, but Geddy does not fall into that category. Personally, I think that they still put on a hell of a show, and I always look forward to their new releases, even if they are not my favorite Rush albums.

I'll be seeing them on this tour, and I'm sure they will be great as usual!

damn skippy...good observation from an unexpected reference to Mr. Hall...who is still kickin it? have you seen him unplugged with just john? I think it was from A & E a year or two ago...awesome!!!!

trink39.gif