Internet Fandom And Rush

Tick

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ May 22 2012, 04:43 PM)
QUOTE (Tick @ May 22 2012, 10:43 AM)
Those who are old enough remember a pure and innocent time when being a Rush fan was just you and your enjoyment of the band. Your feelings not swayed by the vast opinions of the masses.  Now just as video killed the radio star, the internet has dampened the fandom of your favorite bands.

Before the internet their was no overanalizing every lick and lyric like is done today. Rush put out an album, and you enjoyed the listen with no outside thoughts or interference.

I miss those days. Its just not the same anymore. Its not all negative, but  now threads about Neils religious connotations, or, ripping apart the set list they will be playing on the current tour, or saying the new stuff sucks, or Geddy can't sing like he used to. It gets into your head and has an effect on you, its not always a good thing.

It kind of ruins the purity of what used to be. That's how I feel about it anyway. I just know their will be some who will agree with this sentiment. Others will say the opposite, and that's ok too.

Lastly...Don't forget to like my Facebook page, "The National Midnight Starman"
Its a real hoot!

This forum alone has changed my view quite a bit. I seldom listen to Rush and almost never read the Rush related posts here. Over-saturation and the repetitive rehashing of the same old discussions has made it all become stale.

Yup, I'm fairly sure there's very little of grandma's food we haven't already chewed for her on this forum. But the way you say it sounds like a goth kid telling us he's dead inside. Don't worry, it'll be alright. tongue.gif wink.gif

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 22 2012, 03:59 PM)
QUOTE (Tick @ May 22 2012, 03:04 PM)
I remember when Moving Pictures was released and sitting in a room waiting for the DJ to play the first cut. He kept saying,"coming up in just a little bit the new song from Rush." I was so excited I fely dizzy. Then that moment when he finally said. "and here is the new track from Rush called Tom Sawyer, on 99 rock, WPLR."
It was pure bliss!

I also remember waiting in line at the box office after spending the night, and walking up to the window nervously to get my tickets. Oh that feeling when you held those tickets in your hand! Seeing 5th row center on the floor, while you passed by the masses still waiting in line for there chance at the window.
Pure elation!

Yes, I'm an old guy who knows that the kids today are cheated from the absolute magic I experienced as a kid.

It's true, my generation is definitely missing out on something. I was born in 1990, and I have no idea what it's like anticipating hearing a song for the first time on the radio or waiting in line to get tickets to a show. I don't know if I've been cheated because I simply don't know what those things are like. But I can imagine I have been.

I don't really get excited about discovering new music anymore. I remember how thrilled I was as a young kid waiting to get to the store to buy a new CD, but now every new release is available for free, legally, instantaneously, on Grooveshark. I can listen to practically anything on-demand, for $3/month. I don't need to buy CDs anymore.

The closest thing I've felt to the thrill of discovering new music (since I was a young kid) is finding a record I love for sale at a used record store. This is why I collect records. For the nostalgia (insofar as I can experience it at age 21).

The demise of physical media as a means to distribute music (records, CDs, etc.) is something I think about often. Since I don't buy CDs anymore, what will I pass on to my children? What objects will trigger fond memories of youth when I grow older? I realize I have a choice to buy or not buy CDs, but the financial incentive is not there. Grooveshark, with its $3 all-you-can-eat musical buffet, has done away with that incentive.

This post brought to you by Grooveshark!

Remember, that's Grooveshark!

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Merely Space @ May 22 2012, 06:36 PM)
QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 22 2012, 03:59 PM)
QUOTE (Tick @ May 22 2012, 03:04 PM)
I remember when Moving Pictures was released and sitting in a room waiting for the DJ to play the first cut. He kept saying,"coming up in just a little bit the new song from Rush." I was so excited I fely dizzy. Then that moment when he finally said. "and here is the new track from Rush called Tom Sawyer, on 99 rock, WPLR."
It was pure bliss!

I also remember waiting in line at the box office after spending the night, and walking up to the window nervously to get my tickets. Oh that feeling when you held those tickets in your hand! Seeing 5th row center on the floor, while you passed by the masses still waiting in line for there chance at the window.
Pure elation!

Yes, I'm an old guy who knows that the kids today are cheated from the absolute magic I experienced as a kid.

It's true, my generation is definitely missing out on something. I was born in 1990, and I have no idea what it's like anticipating hearing a song for the first time on the radio or waiting in line to get tickets to a show. I don't know if I've been cheated because I simply don't know what those things are like. But I can imagine I have been.

I don't really get excited about discovering new music anymore. I remember how thrilled I was as a young kid waiting to get to the store to buy a new CD, but now every new release is available for free, legally, instantaneously, on Grooveshark. I can listen to practically anything on-demand, for $3/month. I don't need to buy CDs anymore.

The closest thing I've felt to the thrill of discovering new music (since I was a young kid) is finding a record I love for sale at a used record store. This is why I collect records. For the nostalgia (insofar as I can experience it at age 21).

The demise of physical media as a means to distribute music (records, CDs, etc.) is something I think about often. Since I don't buy CDs anymore, what will I pass on to my children? What objects will trigger fond memories of youth when I grow older? I realize I have a choice to buy or not buy CDs, but the financial incentive is not there. Grooveshark, with its $3 all-you-can-eat musical buffet, has done away with that incentive.

This post brought to you by Grooveshark!

Remember, that's Grooveshark!

biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

doh.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 22 2012, 04:28 PM)
QUOTE (ioc @ May 22 2012, 03:07 PM)
QUOTE (Tick @ May 22 2012, 02:04 PM)
It was pure bliss!

Pure elation!

Oh, yeah!!

Later, I remember Rock Line. Songs from the new album would be debuted during interviews with Al and Ged. I had that radio wired into my tape recorder so I could listen to the songs over and over.

I still have the cassette of the Rock Line episode from 1991 that debuted Roll the Bones. I loved the hell out of that show that day.

This album brought to you by the letter "A."

A?

Eh?

Eh.

It's better now than then. I rarely met another Rush fan and, when I did, I usually didn;t have much in common with them. Being able to discuss all things Rush in this manner is far superior. I don't pay much attention to the negatives. I also know a lot more about the band now than back then due to the internet.

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ May 22 2012, 05:43 PM)
QUOTE (Tick @ May 22 2012, 10:43 AM)
Those who are old enough remember a pure and innocent time when being a Rush fan was just you and your enjoyment of the band. Your feelings not swayed by the vast opinions of the masses.  Now just as video killed the radio star, the internet has dampened the fandom of your favorite bands.

Before the internet their was no overanalizing every lick and lyric like is done today. Rush put out an album, and you enjoyed the listen with no outside thoughts or interference.

I miss those days. Its just not the same anymore. Its not all negative, but  now threads about Neils religious connotations, or, ripping apart the set list they will be playing on the current tour, or saying the new stuff sucks, or Geddy can't sing like he used to. It gets into your head and has an effect on you, its not always a good thing.

It kind of ruins the purity of what used to be. That's how I feel about it anyway. I just know their will be some who will agree with this sentiment. Others will say the opposite, and that's ok too.

Its a real hoot!

This forum alone has changed my view quite a bit. I seldom listen to Rush and almost never read the Rush related posts here. Over-saturation and the repetitive rehashing of the same old discussions has made it all become stale.

Got that right.

I am a long time Rush fan, but am totally new to internet fandom. Don't know why it never occoured to me to check out Rush fan sites. Oh yeah- one child born in 1996, another in 2001. laugh.gif

I find this all very exciting still. I never meet Rush fans IRL. It is amazing to read when other people say almost exactly how I feel about different albums and songs. It is also intriguing that so many people feel almost exactly the opposite of how I feel.

As for the negativity, well, when in the gutter I prefer to look at the cars smile.gif

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ May 23 2012, 04:44 AM)
It's better now than then. I rarely met another Rush fan and, when I did, I usually didn;t have much in common with them. Being able to discuss all things Rush in this manner is far superior. I don't pay much attention to the negatives. I also know a lot more about the band now than back then due to the internet.

goodpost.gif

Agree on all fronts.

Not to say I don't understand where Tick is coming from. I share his feelings as well. I remember putting my tape recorder in front of the tv to record the songs prehistoric MTv was playing. I would end up with songs covered by the noise of the cassette player running. And the VJs voices.

Still, it was exciting as hell.

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ May 23 2012, 07:52 AM)

I remember putting my tape recorder in front of the tv to record the songs prehistoric MTv was playing. I would end up with songs covered by the noise of the cassette player running. And the VJs voices.

Kinda puts in perspective all the B&M you hear these days about audiophile recordings, 48 vs 96, 8 vs 24, mp3 vs FLAC vs blah, blah, blah.*

Then theres 'back in the day,' using a radio hardwired into a tape player or a tape player pushed up against speaker. old.gif "And we LIKED it...we LOVED it!" old.gif

*ps. I'm guilty of bitchin & moaning with the best of them. Not that it isn't awesome to see this quality becoming the new standard. I just need to remember my roots and that, at the end of the day, it's really all about the songs.

Edited by Tick

QUOTE (ioc @ May 23 2012, 08:41 AM)
QUOTE (H. P. L. @ May 23 2012, 07:52 AM)

I remember putting my tape recorder in front of the tv to record the songs prehistoric MTv was playing. I would end up with songs covered by the noise of the cassette player running. And the VJs voices.

Kinda puts in perspective all the B&M you hear these days about audiophile recordings, 48 vs 96, 8 vs 24, mp3 vs FLAC vs blah, blah, blah.*

Then theres 'back in the day,' using a radio hardwired into a tape player or a tape player pushed up against speaker. old.gif "And we LIKED it...we LOVED it!" old.gif

*ps. I'm guilty of bitchin & moaning with the best of them. Not that it isn't awesome to see this quality becoming the new standard. I just need to remember my roots and that, at the end of the day, it's really all about the songs.

Ha Ha! Some of my favorite tapes ever were mixes recorded off the radio, each song missing the first two or three notes because that is how long it took to hit the record switch!

And the sadness the first day they popped out of the player with their innards showing.

Then thinking I was smart spending the extra money for the 90 min. tapes, instead of the 60 minute tapes, only to realize that they got saggy and droopy too quickly.

I don't know any Rush fans in real life. My boyfriend doesn't like them. My parents like a handful of "classics". I do like to come here and chat about Rush before an upcoming album or tour.

That being said, I rarely spend any time here outside of that. I don't know. It's not that I don't like you guys. I do. It's just after a while all the threads start to feel the same and one day I don't open up a tab and type in therushforum.com and then I disappear for another year or two.

I'm thinking about hanging around a bit longer this time because I really do miss talking about Rush.

Actually, I think we are, in a way, going back to the past. In the dark ages, known as the 60's, bands used to pretty much have a single(called a 45 for those who haven't lived in a world where you actually had to PAY to bring music home). The album was just a bunch of songs, many of them written by other writers, with no connection, no theme, etc. Then Sgt. Pepper and Pet Sounds were successful

"concept" albums. It became about an entire work being strung together like a story. RUSH is where they are today because they were able to do just that.

Now, we are back to the beginning-it is all about the single, one song can make stars of people who have never performed live or sung more than one song. And there still is anticipation when a group says they'll be releasing new music-the anticipation comes not from people sitting around the radio, it comes from fans sitting around a computer expecting someone to obtain it illegally and then sharing it. Same concept, just a different protocol.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Edited by jjgittes

QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ May 23 2012, 10:42 AM)
I don't know any Rush fans in real life. My boyfriend doesn't like them. My parents like a handful of "classics". I do like to come here and chat about Rush before an upcoming album or tour.

That being said, I rarely spend any time here outside of that. I don't know. It's not that I don't like you guys. I do. It's just after a while all the threads start to feel the same and one day I don't open up a tab and type in therushforum.com and then I disappear for another year or two.

I'm thinking about hanging around a bit longer this time because I really do miss talking about Rush.

Yeah. The threads basically keep repeating the same topics , and it's usually the same dozen or so posters.. And if you're a " newbie" , you end up getting ripped apart if they don't agree with your opinion..cause yah know, being a forum member is serious shit..

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ May 23 2012, 11:35 AM)

Yeah. The threads basically keep repeating the same topics , and it's usually the same dozen or so posters.. And if you're a " newbie" , you end up getting ripped apart if they don't agree with your opinion..cause yah know, being a forum member is serious shit..

Let's not forget that unless a thread is either puerile or controversial, it doesn't usually get much love, ergo, 'broken record.'

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ May 23 2012, 12:35 PM)

It seems to be that the newbies who get "ripped apart" aren't the ones who have differing opinions, but the ones who act like righteous assholes when their opinions are challenged. Since internet forums aren't so serious, who cares if someone doesn't like your opinion?

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 23 2012, 01:47 PM)

It seems to be that the newbies who get "ripped apart" aren't the ones who have differing opinions, but the ones who act like righteous assholes when their opinions are challenged. Since internet forums aren't so serious, who cares if someone doesn't like your opinion?

Exactly.

When your first post is "OMG YOU GUYS Neil Peart HAS SUCKED ever since HEMISPHERES and he should give up drums because I'm a drummer and I KNOW what I'm talking about!!!!!11 YOU ALL SUCK TOO!!!! AMIRITE?!?!?!?!"

Guys like that deserve all the abuse they get.

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 23 2012, 02:47 PM)

What this guy said.

QUOTE (ioc @ May 22 2012, 04:07 PM)

Later, I remember Rock Line.  Songs from the new album would be debuted during interviews with Al and Ged.  I had that radio wired into my tape recorder so I could listen to the songs over and over.

I did the same thing back in the 90s! cool.gif

And I generally agree with the sentiment behind this thread. It ain't like it used to be, in many regards. Granted, the internet makes it easy to talk to fans of your favorite bands, which was a luxury we didn't have back in the day (especially if you didn't know anyone else who loved a band you did), so that is a plus, but we've lost a lot as well.

Edited by The K Man

I haven't been a serious fan that long, so the Internet has always been part of my experience, but like many, I came to various sites expecting I'd be supported in my newfound love, and that hasn't always happened (and I don't think I was a righteous asshole then or now, but maybe I'm just arrogant and don't see it). I didn't think I'd have to defend myself to the band's own fans. Oh well, taking crap is still better than having no one to talk to! laugh.gif

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ May 23 2012, 08:12 PM)
I haven't been a serious fan that long, so the Internet has always been part of my experience, but like many, I came to various sites expecting I'd be supported in my newfound love, and that hasn't always happened (and I don't think I was a righteous asshole then or now, but maybe I'm just arrogant and don't see it). I didn't think I'd have to defend myself to the band's own fans. Oh well, taking crap is still better than having no one to talk to! laugh.gif

sad.gif That makes me a little sad.

hug2.gif

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 24 2012, 04:47 AM)

Yeah, I agree with all that. But the fact is that some people do take internet forums seriously and are offended when someone disagrees with them. Some people fall in love over the internet so it's only reasonable that some would fall in hate with others.

QUOTE (Tick @ May 22 2012, 07:43 AM)
Those who are old enough remember a pure and innocent time when being a Rush fan was just you and your enjoyment of the band. Your feelings not swayed by the vast opinions of the masses. Now just as video killed the radio star, the internet has dampened the fandom of your favorite bands.

I miss those days. Its just not the same anymore. Its not all negative, but now threads about Neils religious connotations, or, ripping apart the set list they will be playing on the current tour, or saying the new stuff sucks, or Geddy can't sing like he used to. It gets into your head and has an effect on you, its not always a good thing.

Its a real hoot!

Excellent point, tick. I don't know if it has really changed my mind on anything - if I like a Rush song/album, I like it and really don't give a rat's a$$ what anyone else thinks. I mean, I love Tai Shan... still!

I do get tired of the ragging and nagging and whinging, though. Sometimes I just want to write, "Then why the hell are your 1) a Rush fan and 2) here?" Everyone is certainly entitled to an opinion but, seriously, we've heard most of them. Over and over and over and over..... wacko.gif

The best thing about Internet fandom is being among people (virtually) to whom you don't need to explain. They - you - get it, too. That's freeing and encouraging. I've made some wonderful friends through online Rush fandom and I'm very glad I did. The rest of them can go have a flying you-know-what at a rolling donut. trink39.gif