I dont like Spocks Beard

Akron162

Ive heard and read everywhere how awsome and influential Spocks Beard is, but now, after finally getting my hands on The Light (wich by the way is suposed to be their best album) and listen to their music for the first time, i didnt liked it.

I found it very formulaic and boring, everything i was specting to hear in it come out as exactly i thought it would, i knew what would happen in the songs minutes before it actually happened, and i hate that. I hate predictable music.

Im not a fan of Neal Morse voice neither.

Maybe it just need more listens, but right now, meeeeh...

The Light is supposed to be their best album?? I haven't heard that one.

The consensus I hear about Beard is that Snow is their most well liked album. But in my opinion, V is their best, followed by Day for Night.

If you don't like them, hey, you don't like them. I haven't liked them much since Neal left; it's a matter of taste. If I were you, I'd give a listen to V and Snow before making up your mind. wink.gif

Edited by KenJennings

The only Spock's Beard song I listen to with any regularity is "Gibberish" and I LOVE that song. Otherwise, I'm totally clueless about them.... tongue.gif

QUOTE (KenJennings @ May 20 2012, 11:51 PM)
The consensus I hear about Beard is that Snow is their most well liked album. But in my opinion, V is their best, followed by Day for Night.

A lot of people seem to hate Snow. I think Dave Meros himself said that its his least favorite album. I love it. Day For Night is an extremely underrated album and its one of my favorites.

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ May 20 2012, 10:59 PM)
QUOTE (KenJennings @ May 20 2012, 11:51 PM)

A lot of people seem to hate Snow. I think Dave Meros himself said that its his least favorite album. I love it. Day For Night is an extremely underrated album and its one of my favorites.

Snow is delicious, I think their best. But maybe I'm just too big a fan of The Lamb.

V is their masterpiece with Neal. Though, The Light is fantastic as well and is a fairly accurate representation of NM-era SB, so if you didn't like it, SB probably isn't your thing. Snow is definitely my least favorite as well.

My favorite epic if theirs is the massively underrated Healing Colors Of Sound. The solo in the My Shoes section blows me away.

What's wrong with Spock's beard?

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/uploads/26446/SpockBeard.jpg

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/8/2010/06/340x_spock__s_beard_by_choffman36.jpg

confused13.gif

Anything Neal Morse touches is pure gold! Understand? Good. That is all!

The first SB album that I bought was "V". I was expecting great things after reading many posts about how great it is. I thought it was mediocre. I did make an impulsive purchase of "Octane" a few years later and found that I loved most of that album.

I dig um

QUOTE (Imaginos @ May 21 2012, 08:03 AM)
The first SB album that I bought was "V". I was expecting great things after reading many posts about how great it is. I thought it was mediocre.

Really? How much did you actually listen to it? If you truly like prog, you have to listen a few more times.

Edited by Tick

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ May 21 2012, 03:39 AM)
I don't particularly care for them either. Talented, but not my cup of tea.

same here.....not a fan of his vocals....

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 21 2012, 03:05 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ May 21 2012, 05:29 AM)
Don't like them or Neal's solo stuff. But I love Transatlantic & Flying Colors.

Ditto!

trink38.gif

No offense but as cool as the Flying Colors album is, its not in the same stratisphere as Spocks Beard. no.gif

and Neals "Question Mark" album makes Flying Colors look down right silly.

QUOTE (Tick @ May 21 2012, 02:28 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ May 21 2012, 03:05 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ May 21 2012, 05:29 AM)
Don't like them or Neal's solo stuff. But I love Transatlantic & Flying Colors.

Ditto!

trink38.gif

No offense but as cool as the Flying Colors album is, its not in the same stratisphere as Spocks Beard. no.gif

They just don't it for me mate what can I say? Can't get into them at all, and not Neal Morse's stuff either, not too keen on his voice so it's too much. Transatlantic and Flying Colors are more my thing!

I do like the keyboard player Ryo Okumoto in this band though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lK6fn1g9w0

QUOTE (Akron162 @ May 20 2012, 08:38 PM)
Ive heard and read everywhere how awsome and influential Spocks Beard is, but now, after finally getting my hands on The Light (wich by the way is suposed to be their best album) and listen to their music for the first time, i didnt liked it.

I found it very formulaic and boring, everything i was specting to hear in it come out as exactly i thought it would, i knew what would happen in the songs minutes before it actually happened, and i hate that. I hate predictable music.

Im not a fan of Neal Morse voice neither.

Maybe it just need more listens, but right now, meeeeh...

I have all of the Spock's Beard stuff. Musically I enjoy them but for me Neal's voice is quite wimpy for a prog rock band. He sings like he is in a broadway musical or as a lead singer in the Mickey Mouse Club.

Then after the "Snow" record (which is great) he goes Jesus Freak and leaves the band.

Check out some current Spock's Beard albums without Neal!!

They have a new double live cd out right now. It's from the "X" Tour.