I'm honestly kind of dreading CA

rushgoober

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 20 2012, 04:54 AM)
I like all three tracks, all very metal. Goobs is an old man in his mind and his body, which is why he's too old for metal these days!  trink38.gif  1022.gif

http://thecrobard.propagande.org/english/ragoth/look/images/l-metal.gif

I'm with goobs on this. If you have to listen to a song 50 times, it's probably not worth it. And I would challenge anyone who tries to use that logic: pick an artist you don't like. There will be *someone* out there who really loves them. They will tell you to listen to this artist 50 times to really give the music a shot... would you do it?

I'm not saying goobs doesn't like Rush, but speaking generally, when you don't like an artist, an album or a song... if listening to it a few dozen times is required, it might be best just to let it go and spin some music you *do* like.

I don't think Goobs needs to worker harder at trying to like CA. If he doesn't like it, he doesn't like it, and that's fine. If anything, he might consider working harder on letting it go. He seems to spend an inordinate amount of time trying to rationalize not liking it. Music should be joy, not work.

QUOTE (Merely Space @ May 20 2012, 08:35 AM)
I don't think Goobs needs to worker harder at trying to like CA. If he doesn't like it, he doesn't like it, and that's fine. If anything, he might consider working harder on letting it go. He seems to spend an inordinate amount of time trying to rationalize not liking it. Music should be joy, not work.

Well, I can hardly not like an album that hasn't come out yet, can I? wink.gif

I'm merely theorizing based on what I've heard so far. And why the hell not? Gotta talk about SOMETHING while we wait! tongue.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 20 2012, 10:39 AM)
QUOTE (Merely Space @ May 20 2012, 08:35 AM)
I don't think Goobs needs to worker harder at trying to like CA.  If he doesn't like it, he doesn't like it, and that's fine.  If anything, he might consider working harder on letting it go.  He seems to spend an inordinate amount of time trying to rationalize not liking it.  Music should be joy, not work.

Well, I can hardly not like an album that hasn't come out yet, can I? wink.gif

I'm merely theorizing based on what I've heard so far. And why the hell not? Gotta talk about SOMETHING while we wait! tongue.gif

Wow, instant response! Yes, of course, I was not accusing you (J'accuse!) of pre-disliking the album. It just sounded like folks was suggesting 50 + listens to the 3 that are out, plus prospectively any or all of the rest that were initially unsatisfying upon release.

And, of course, it is hard to tell from a message board to what extent this dilemma occupies your thoughts. Your gift of verbiage can make it seem like every waking moment must be devoted to this issue, which would be sad to me. But I am sure that is merely an illusion.

As you say, gotta talk 'bout something.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Merely Space @ May 20 2012, 08:45 AM)
And, of course, it is hard to tell from a message board to what extent this dilemma occupies your thoughts. Your gift of verbiage can make it seem like every waking moment must be devoted to this issue, which would be sad to me. But I am sure that is merely an illusion.

laugh.gif

God, I hope so, right?

Yes, definitely an illusion. It occupies my thoughts when I post on TRF, but that's about it! wink.gif

QUOTE (earth2112shine @ May 20 2012, 10:58 AM)
I agree with original post. I'm not liking the first 3 songs either, hoping the rest of the album is better, or at least more to my liking

Not really dreading it like Goober is, but I'm not expecting it to be a great album either. The 3 songs we've heard so far don't get me overly excited....

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 20 2012, 01:03 PM)
I agree with original post. I'm not liking the first 3 songs either, hoping the rest of the album is better, or at least more to my liking

Not really dreading it like Goober is, but I'm not expecting it to be a great album either. The 3 songs we've heard so far don't get me overly excited....

Hopefully, you doubters will be pleasantly surprised by at least a few tracks. If not.....oh well....there's always the next one (hopefully), and of course, always classic Rush to listen whenever we want.....

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 21 2012, 12:42 AM)
Finally, I don't do drugs.  Back when I did, a long time ago, I know that anything can sound great when you're high.  For me music is great when you don't have to be stoned to love it.

On that note, a tangent: since I've gone off herbal remedies, my musical tastes have started shifting....

In my pre-green years, I was into pretty much classic rock, prog rock, and reggae exclusively (weird, eh?). Then, as I embarked down the path of self-medication, I grew to love electronic dance music and hip hop. Now that I've kicked the habit (coming up on 6 months now....) my tastes have started shifting back towards rock. However, I still like a lot of the other stuff I discovered while off in lotus land.... I just appreciate it differently.

And yes, as Goobs said, anything can sound great when you're high. And for me, being a musically-inclined person, everything did.

It's been over 2 decades since Rush put an album out that I truly loved. I dont love the 1st 3 songs either and Im expecting there to be some crap on this album, but if there's literally only 3 songs I like a lot, that's good enough for me. This band almost packed it in 15 years ago so Ill take anything I can get.

The beauty with new Rush is I never dread it...I anticipate it.

So far, for me...they are 3 for 3. The guys never cease to amaze me...no matter where they are in their careers.

I truly believe they still have plenty in the tank...and I hope they continue to record after CA...because my anticipation would continue for any and all new records from Rush.

Best. Band. Ever. 1022.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 19 2012, 07:03 AM)
I guess the problem with such a long wait for an album (considering it was announced 2 years ago) is there's just too much damn time to give the situation a lot more thought than it probably deserves.

My skepticism about CA, despite the stellar pre-release industry reviews, is growing. 

The problem is, I'm just not digging the first three songs.  HF is definitely better than the first two, but even that I'm finding a chore to listen to.

If it wasn't for having heard one-quarter of the songs already, and not getting into them, I would be excited.  I thought S&A was a very good album, and I liked or loved more than half the songs.  With CA, IMHO we're not off to a good start.

I'm still hoping for 1 or 2 great songs.  I feel I'd be REALLY lucky to get 3.  When I'm really honest with myself, however, hoping for 1 or 2 great songs, and thinking 3 great songs is probably wishful thinking, isn't really that great. It seems a long, long time ago that it was a given that a new impending Rush album would be consistent and awesome. 

People keep encouraging me to appreciate new Rush for what it is and not compare it to their old stuff, and that's all well and great, but the songs still have to be of at least a certain quality for me to want to play them, and what I've heard so far isn't quite making the cut.

I know "dread" is a strong word to use, but I'm just not looking forward to what I fear will be yet another late career, sub-standard release.  Some will say I'm setting myself up for disappointment, but I feel if anything I'm trying to prevent myself from being disappointed by keeping my expectations, based on my experience with the album so far, in check.  I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than have unrealistic expectations crushed.

Don't get me wrong, I will get the album the first day of release and devour it ASAP.  I WILL listen with an open mind, and I truly WANT to love every new song, but my hope and enthusiasm is dwindling.  I'm anxious about it, but not really in an excited way - more in a wanting to get it over with way.

Feel free to accuse me of excessive negativity if you must, but these are my honest thoughts on the matter.  It might not be the most popular point of view, and I'm sure I'm in a small minority, but I don't think I'm the only one who feels similarly either...

Was this NEWS to anybody, requiring another new thread? laugh.gif

This part in particular seems overly repeated in thread after thread:

I'm just not digging the first three songs... we're not off to a good start.

Really??? Because that's the first time I've heard that. sarcasm.gif

You're only a couple years younger than me, Gary... have you ever heard the phrase "like a broken record"? wink.gif

It might not be the most popular point of view, and I'm sure I'm in a small minority, but I don't think I'm the only one who feels similarly either...

So post still another thread about it; maybe then you'll finally find more like-minded people on the matter and you won't be so lonely. Better still, maybe then you'll successfully convert some people who AREN'T like-minded on the matter, but are easily persuaded by the illuminations and Truths you speak.

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 19 2012, 07:03 AM)
I guess the problem with such a long wait for an album (considering it was announced 2 years ago) is there's just too much damn time to give the situation a lot more thought than it probably deserves.

My skepticism about CA, despite the stellar pre-release industry reviews, is growing.

The problem is, I'm just not digging the first three songs. HF is definitely better than the first two, but even that I'm finding a chore to listen to.

If it wasn't for having heard one-quarter of the songs already, and not getting into them, I would be excited. I thought S&A was a very good album, and I liked or loved more than half the songs. With CA, IMHO we're not off to a good start.

I'm still hoping for 1 or 2 great songs. I feel I'd be REALLY lucky to get 3. When I'm really honest with myself, however, hoping for 1 or 2 great songs, and thinking 3 great songs is probably wishful thinking, isn't really that great. It seems a long, long time ago that it was a given that a new impending Rush album would be consistent and awesome.

People keep encouraging me to appreciate new Rush for what it is and not compare it to their old stuff, and that's all well and great, but the songs still have to be of at least a certain quality for me to want to play them, and what I've heard so far isn't quite making the cut.

I know "dread" is a strong word to use, but I'm just not looking forward to what I fear will be yet another late career, sub-standard release. Some will say I'm setting myself up for disappointment, but I feel if anything I'm trying to prevent myself from being disappointed by keeping my expectations, based on my experience with the album so far, in check. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than have unrealistic expectations crushed.

Don't get me wrong, I will get the album the first day of release and devour it ASAP. I WILL listen with an open mind, and I truly WANT to love every new song, but my hope and enthusiasm is dwindling. I'm anxious about it, but not really in an excited way - more in a wanting to get it over with way.

Feel free to accuse me of excessive negativity if you must, but these are my honest thoughts on the matter. It might not be the most popular point of view, and I'm sure I'm in a small minority, but I don't think I'm the only one who feels similarly either...

I guess the easiest thing to say to this post is:

Why are you being such a freaking DRAMA QUEEN????? confused13.gif

It's a CD...either you're going to like it, or you're NOT going to like it.... each time a Rush album came out I bought it...it either stayed a the top of the list of things to play, or ended up on the shelf for an occasional listen....

msn_sheep.png

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ May 20 2012, 12:17 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 20 2012, 01:03 PM)

Hopefully, you doubters will be pleasantly surprised by at least a few tracks. If not.....oh well....there's always the next one (hopefully), and of course, always classic Rush to listen whenever we want.....

I'm hoping so!

I'm definitely not holding out hope for any more albums after this one. I know Alex recently said something about them making albums till they die, but with five years between albums and their advancing age, plus Geddy's declining voice, I just don't see them being up for it again in 5 years. It's possible, though!

And yes, thankfully there is always classic Rush for me to fall back on! I, however, am still enjoying a lot of S&A, so even some recent Rush is still there for me if this album ends up being a wash. yes.gif

All that said, of the 3 songs I've heard so far, none of them are embarrassingly bad in the way say VT was, or some of the songs on RTB, or a few of the songs on T4E were. If all the songs are of the same quality as what I've heard so far, the album will still rank 15th for me, above VT, T4E, RTB & Presto, so it's still got some merit to it. I'm just hoping for 2 or 3 tracks I truly love.

Edited by rushgoober