I'm honestly kind of dreading CA

rushgoober

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 19 2012, 07:53 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 19 2012, 09:35 AM)
QUOTE (Merely Space @ May 19 2012, 06:53 AM)
Goober is Faithless.

I don't have faith in CA.

I don't believe in new Rush.

You can call me faithless

but I still cling to MP.

And I believe in PeW.

and that's Rush enough for me.

The clinging to MP part is clever and works.

This little "chorus" could pretty much be the anthem for the 'Old Rush Good - New Rush Bad' group.

For the most part, I'm in the Old Rush Good New Rush Bad camp (if old Rush ends at p/g.)

I LOVE the three new songs, and think this album could be a top 5-6 album, if not better.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 19 2012, 08:35 AM)
Goober is Faithless.

but I still cling to MP.

And I believe in PeW.

That's funny...... and "sadly true for so many among us"

laugh.gif

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ May 19 2012, 09:02 AM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 19 2012, 07:53 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 19 2012, 09:35 AM)
Goober is Faithless.

but I still cling to MP.

And I believe in PeW.

The clinging to MP part is clever and works.

This little "chorus" could pretty much be the anthem for the 'Old Rush Good - New Rush Bad' group.

For the most part, I'm in the Old Rush Good New Rush Bad camp (if old Rush ends at p/g.)

I LOVE the three new songs, and think this album could be a top 5-6 album, if not better.

Aha! Reasonable and non biased people DO exist here! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (dakota2112 @ May 19 2012, 08:31 AM)
QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ May 19 2012, 07:31 AM)
Headlong Flight and Caravan are two of the absolute greatest Rush songs I've ever heard.  Honest.

I'll second that motion! 1022.gif

Careful.....SOME people here will label you as " fanbois" with those comments...... laugh.gif

If I didn't like the fist three songs then I wouldn't be that stoked about the new album either. If he doesn't like them, he doesn't like them, and my guess is they are pretty indicitative of the rest of the album. So I'm pretty sure he won't like it.

I on the other hand, like the three songs a lot so think its probably going to be very good. I think there are a lot more people in my shoes then goober's.

Too much Metal for Goobs to handle 1022.gif

I certainly agree that the first 3 songs are a little less than stellar, but for me Headlong Flight is a step in the right direction. With Caravan and BU2B though it seemed like they took a step back and tried to be as repetitive as possible, not to say HF isn't repetitive, but it certainly doesn't repeat "I can't stop thinking big" 10000 times. All in all, I am looking forward to the rest of the album because I'm intrigued to see where they are heading!

I am optimistic for a good release. But I cannot stand reviews that say it can be one of their best or is their BEST album))) LOL. For a band with a track record like Rush, that is an awful big statement, and sadly have heard it before. So I am not buying it.

Will let my ears decide.

Old RUSH GREAT, New Rush Good))

QUOTE (Steely Caress @ May 19 2012, 11:40 AM)
I am optimistic for a good release. But I cannot stand reviews that say it can be one of their best or is their BEST album))) LOL. For a band with a track record like Rush, that is an awful big statement, and sadly have heard it before. So I am not buying it.
Will let my ears decide.

Yeah, saying BEST or ONE OF THE BEST isnt useful information and only inflates hype. It's so subjective. Yet, there are Rush albums where a majority of Rush fans do think it is their best or one of their best. Ultimately, no matter the reviews, it's Rush fans, us, who have the final and most important verdict.

Edited by Gedneil Alpeart

Will let my ears decide.

I truly like that:

Old RUSH Great, New RUSH Good! Lets just keep the bad in the drawer for when someone brings out the Vapor Trail Mix!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ May 19 2012, 11:46 AM)
Will let my ears decide.

Yeah, saying BEST or ONE OF THE BEST isnt useful information and only inflates hype. It's so subjective. Yet, there are Rush albums where a majority of Rush fans do think it is their best or one of their best. Ultimately, no matter the reviews, it's Rush fans, us, who have the final and most important verdict.

That's right we are the ones that buy the tickets.. Oh wait we already did that! Well, we are the ones that buy the cd's... Oh crap we already pre-ordered that as well. Well we are the ones with the over-opinionated TRF Website!

Yeah that it! That's the ticket!

tongue.gif

I always find it surprising whenever I read your threads, how much you like S&A but aren't getting into Headlong Flight. It's not to say that I don't like S&A, there are a few songs on there I absolutely love. In fact, when I first heard Far Cry, I believe I said something to the effect of "This is the best Rush song in a very long time". However, I find the majority of that album to be rather weak. As good as Far Cry is, I believe Headlong Flight to be better.

And I'll agree that Caravan and BU2B aren't as impressive as a lot of people are saying. Not to say I don't like the songs. I do like them. But Headlong Flight really elevated my level of excitement for this album. \

I don't know, man. I'm excited to see which goobs thread we see when CA finally comes out. Will be it that the album is actually awesome? Or will he just confirm that his fears were correct all along.

QUOTE (Snaked @ May 19 2012, 05:32 AM)
Like I said in another thread, Goober is doing everything he can to set himself up to dislike CA.

His choice.

Then you're not really reading everything I'm saying. Your choice. wink.gif

If you didn't care for the first 3 songs of the 12 that exist on the album, and disliked 4 of their last 6 albums, would you be optimistic? confused13.gif

QUOTE (Snaked @ May 19 2012, 05:59 AM)
Here you go Goober... a quote from the Classic Rock Mag review:

So, is Clockwork Angels the best album of the year? It's too early to tell. The best album Rush have made? It's up near the top. The sound of a band who are entering their fifth decade more confident than ever before? Undoubtedly. And that, more than anything else, is the mark of true greatness.

I'm not saying they aren't confident, or that they aren't giving it their all. But whether they're giving it their all with great confidence and superior musicianship or whatever isn't translating (at least not yet) into music I personally enjoy. If it's truly "up near the top" near the best album they've ever made, the other songs have got to be spectacular, much more so than the first three released, and I'm just not optimistic about that.

That said, I sincerely hope that I'm wrong. yes.gif

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 19 2012, 06:17 AM)
Goobs, you're an awesome Dude...love your posts.

With that said, this wasn't exactly ground-breaking news!  tongue.gif

laugh.gif

Admittedly, I didn't have the exclusive. no.gif

And I think you're awesome too! tongue.gif trink39.gif

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ May 19 2012, 06:07 AM)
Respect Goober's thoughts, but Im glad I dont think like him.

Me too! Man, that guy can be a real downer sometimes! yes.gif

Oh wait, that's me! unsure.gif

Nevermind. ph34r.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 19 2012, 06:35 AM)
Goober is Faithless.

but I still cling to MP.

And I believe in PeW.

laugh.gif

I can't sand the actual lyrics in Faithless, but maybe if I replace the lyrics in my head with these ones, I'll enjoy it a lot more. tongue.gif

QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ May 19 2012, 09:59 AM)
I always find it surprising whenever I read your threads, how much you like S&A but aren't getting into Headlong Flight. It's not to say that I don't like S&A, there are a few songs on there I absolutely love. In fact, when I first heard Far Cry, I believe I said something to the effect of "This is the best Rush song in a very long time".

Far Cry is a stone cold classic (for a song that's only 5 years old!) - even without anything resembling a real guitar solo, it's just pure awesomeness - fantastic, inspirational, exciting, timely lyrics with a universal appeal, melody aplenty, etc. I wish I could say any of the first 3 songs on CA were in that same league. Great musical chops and cool instrumental breakdown sections aren't enough for me for a great song unless it's an instrumental where Rush is concerned. The lyrics have to move me.

I don't know, man. I'm excited to see which goobs thread we see when CA finally comes out. Will be it that the album is actually awesome? Or will he just confirm that his fears were correct all along.

I'll be the first to admit that I was wrong if I love the rest of the album, and the happiest person here that I was wrong. Even though some don't want to believe me, I truly do listen open-mindedly and give the new stuff a more than fair chance. I WANT to be wrong about the new album! I don't want to spend $15 and come up with nothing other than keeping my collection complete.

I haven't even given up on the first 3 songs yet, and maybe they'll grow on me. Well, I pretty much have given up on Faithless Part II (sorry, BU2B unsure.gif ) unless the lyrics suddenly somehow greatly change their meaning in the context of the concept, but from what I've read about how the songs are supposed to be able to stand alone as well, I doubt that will happen.

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ May 19 2012, 06:50 AM)
QUOTE (BeOhBe Bob @ May 19 2012, 09:43 AM)
QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ May 19 2012, 08:59 AM)
QUOTE (BeOhBe Bob @ May 19 2012, 08:57 AM)
QUOTE (Merely Space @ May 19 2012, 08:53 AM)
Goober is Faithless.

maybe it's just how he was BU2B

laugh.gif

Such the headlong flight into dreadful angst must really be depressing, poor guy!

Hey Godeater, nice to see ya jumpin on the Caravan!

laugh.gif

Yeah, but you know, Goober moaning about the current state of Rush and talking about how his life peaked the first time he heard Moving Pictures, how it was the sound of angels and nothing will ever turn him on as much as that again is regular as clockwork around here!

Oh come now, the periodic whiny Goober thread is part of what makes me so loveable! tongue.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 19 2012, 12:22 PM)
I always find it surprising whenever I read your threads, how much you like S&A but aren't getting into Headlong Flight. It's not to say that I don't like S&A, there are a few songs on there I absolutely love. In fact, when I first heard Far Cry, I believe I said something to the effect of "This is the best Rush song in a very long time".

Far Cry is a stone cold classic (for a song that's only 5 years old!) - even without anything resembling a real guitar solo, it's just pure awesomeness - fantastic, inspirational, exciting, timely lyrics with a universal appeal, melody aplenty, etc. I wish I could say any of the first 3 songs on CA were in that same league. Great musical chops and cool instrumental breakdown sections aren't enough for me for a great song unless it's an instrumental where Rush is concerned. The lyrics have to move me.

I'll be the first to admit that I was wrong if I love the rest of the album, and the happiest person here that I was wrong. Even though some don't want to believe me, I truly do listen open-mindedly and give the new stuff a more than fair chance. I WANT to be wrong about the new album! I don't want to spend $15 and come up with nothing other than keeping my collection complete.

I haven't even given up on the first 3 songs yet, and maybe they'll grow on me. Well, I pretty much have given up on Faithless Part II (sorry, BU2B unsure.gif ) unless the lyrics suddenly somehow greatly change their meaning in the context of the concept, but from what I've read about how the songs are supposed to be able to stand alone as well, I doubt that will happen.

I feel the same way that you do about BU2B. It's hard for me to even listen to it anymore. I do feel that, musically, it is a great song, however, the lyrics don't speak to me and they feel quite tired. It just feels "preachy" I guess. We get it. You don't like religions. Can we move on please? I just don't care about religious lyrics at all, for or against. So I can't get into them. It's kind of frustrating to because, musically, I feel Faithless and BU2B to be very strong songs. But I don't feel the lyrics at all. And that makes songs suffer for me.

I also value strong lyrics that I can find a deep connection with. I feel the lyrics to Headlong Flight are quite strong, but not as strong as Far Cry, I would say. I do like Caravan but the song sounds a bit awkward to me. Far Cry's lyrics are just so moving and inspirational, it makes it hard for me to believe anyone doesn't like that song.

I don't know. I'm mildly excited for Clockwork Angels but I'm not as pumped as I was about 2 years ago. Headlong Flight bumped me up from indifference.

QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ May 19 2012, 10:32 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 19 2012, 12:22 PM)

I feel the same way that you do about BU2B. It's hard for me to even listen to it anymore. I do feel that, musically, it is a great song, however, the lyrics don't speak to me and they feel quite tired. It just feels "preachy" I guess. We get it. You don't like religions. Can we move on please? I just don't care about religious lyrics at all, for or against. So I can't get into them. It's kind of frustrating to because, musically, I feel Faithless and BU2B to be very strong songs. But I don't feel the lyrics at all. And that makes songs suffer for me.

I also value strong lyrics that I can find a deep connection with. I feel the lyrics to Headlong Flight are quite strong, but not as strong as Far Cry, I would say. I do like Caravan but the song sounds a bit awkward to me. Far Cry's lyrics are just so moving and inspirational, it makes it hard for me to believe anyone doesn't like that song.

I don't know. I'm mildly excited for Clockwork Angels but I'm not as pumped as I was about 2 years ago. Headlong Flight bumped me up from indifference.

I pretty much agree. And yes, where HF stands above the other two songs for me is lyrically.

I guess I'm really starting to understand how important Rush lyrics are for me personally - that and melody. There are very important aspect of them musically as well, but if the lyrics aren't there, the music can be awesome and I just won't like the song. When I think about almost every Rush song I truly dislike, it's because I don't like the lyrics before any other considerations. The exception to that rule are a couple of tepid instrumentals. I guess another exception would be their debut album, which doesn't always have stellar lyrics to say the least, but at least they're fun and the music kicks enough ass that I can overlook it. Saying "at least they're fun" still for me is saying a lot. For example, I think the lyrics to In the Mood are enjoyable, whereas some of the lyrics in songs like say Virtuality or Tai Shan or I Think I'm Going Bald are deal breakers.

I don't feel this way about other groups per se, the necessity of great lyrics, but Rush have always moved me with their lyrics, and when they're not quite there, the song just doesn't work for me. A song being way too repetitive and not having a lot of melody is also a major strike against, otherwise I'd think HF was great instead of merely good.

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (Slack jaw gaze @ May 19 2012, 10:51 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 19 2012, 12:02 PM)
If you didn't care for the first 3 songs of the 12 that exist on the album, and disliked 4 of their last 6 albums, would you be optimistic?

I don't follow bands I don't like, so I would have no opinion.

I hear you, but when there's a band where I like or love (mostly love) 14 of their 18 albums, including their last one, can I truly say it's a band I don't like?

no.gif