Odd Sandwich Combos

Babycat

QUOTE (Babycat @ May 21 2012, 03:12 PM)
QUOTE (Janie @ May 21 2012, 10:51 PM)
QUOTE (KenJennings @ May 21 2012, 02:42 PM)
How is peanut butter and jam even remotely odd?

I demanded to know this too. We shall continue to wait.

My curiosity is growing though.

While on the subject... a toasted PB&J (be it jelly OR jam) is amazing. The peanut butter gets all warm and gooey and the jelly heats up. It's fantastic. A kid treat for sure.

I kind of meant jam as in English jam. Not jelly. Besides, I'm sure there are way weirder concoctions than peanut butter and jam...

You'll have to explain English jam to me. If I buy a jar of jam here, it means I'm getting small chunks of fruit in the jelly. A jar of jelly has no chunks of fruit. What exactly is "English jam"?

ETA: Jam/Jelly are used equally (pretty much) here. Sort of like a, same difference, kind of thing.

Edited by Janie

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Janie @ May 21 2012, 06:20 PM)

While on the subject... a toasted PB&J (be it jelly OR jam) is amazing. The peanut butter gets all warm and gooey and the jelly heats up. It's fantastic. A kid treat for sure.

I kind of meant jam as in English jam. Not jelly. Besides, I'm sure there are way weirder concoctions than peanut butter and jam...

You'll have to explain English jam to me. If I buy a jar of jam here, it means I'm getting small chunks of fruit in the jelly. A jar of jelly has no chunks of fruit. What exactly is "English jam"?

ETA: Jam/Jelly are used equally (pretty much) here. Sort of like a, same difference, kind of thing.

Yep. I get the "all-fruit" stuff, like Polaner. Chunks of fruit, fruit juice sweetened, more variety of flavors.

Jelly, jam, preserves, all-fruit spreads -- they're all great on a PB&J.

Wait, jam and jelly are different things?! ohmy.gif My mind is blown. wacko.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 21 2012, 06:50 PM)

Yep. I get the "all-fruit" stuff, like Polaner. Chunks of fruit, fruit juice sweetened, more variety of flavors.

Just please don't call it jelly. laugh.gif

Me, I like grilled cream cheese sandwiches with bacon.

QUOTE (Mara @ May 21 2012, 05:08 PM)

omg this sounds heavenly! I'd throw in some tomato too.

Edited by Janie

Here's an odd one I like:

Baked beans, fresh mozzarella, basil, and tomato (it's gotta be a good tomato though.... no generic supermarket beefsteaks... yecchhh dazed025.gif ) on toasted French bread. Really tasty and also really difficult to eat. laugh.gif Fork and knife (and spoon) recommended.

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 22 2012, 01:04 AM)

I'm at the risk of getting myself confused... Jam and jelly are both the same things, except, those from the UK call it jam, and the US calls it jelly. So yes, English jam has fruit in it, and US jelly doesn't.

smile.gif

QUOTE (Babycat @ May 22 2012, 04:08 AM)

I'm at the risk of getting myself confused... Jam and jelly are both the same things, except, those from the UK call it jam, and the US calls it jelly. So yes, English jam has fruit in it, and US jelly doesn't.

smile.gif

There's nothing odd about that at all. In the U.S. (at least) that is the most common combination there is I would think.

smile.gif

Thanks, Babycat! I think I understand now. smile.gif I learn something new every day on TRF! laugh.gif

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 22 2012, 09:10 PM)

smile.gif

Thanks, Babycat! I think I understand now. smile.gif I learn something new every day on TRF! laugh.gif

You're welcome! biggrin.gif

My mother always made a sandwich of her own devising, which she called a "Gloppy." Sometimes this was our DINNER when I was growing-up. I'll warn that it sounds terrible, but they were good!

On bread:

Mayonnaise

Peanut butter

Velveeta cheese

cottage cheese

lettuce

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 1 2012, 12:17 PM)
My mother always made a sandwich of her own devising, which she called a "Gloppy." Sometimes this was our DINNER when I was growing-up. I'll warn that it sounds terrible, but they were good!

On bread:
Mayonnaise
Peanut butter
Velveeta cheese
cottage cheese
lettuce

The warning didn't help. Sweet Mary mother of...

Mayo AND peanut butter!?

I have to make this now to taste this combination for myself because it sounds so odd.

QUOTE (Janie @ Jun 2 2012, 06:56 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 1 2012, 12:17 PM)
My mother always made a sandwich of her own devising, which she called a "Gloppy."  Sometimes this was our DINNER when I was growing-up.  I'll warn that it sounds terrible, but they were good!

On bread:
Mayonnaise
Peanut butter
Velveeta cheese
cottage cheese
lettuce

The warning didn't help. Sweet Mary mother of...

Mayo AND peanut butter!?

I have to make this now to taste this combination for myself because it sounds so odd.

I'll try practically anything once but that just CAN'T taste good. It's like the lettuce is there just so that it can pass itself off as a sandwich. tongue.gif

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 22 2012, 09:39 AM)
Here's an odd one I like:

Baked beans, fresh mozzarella, basil, and tomato (it's gotta be a good tomato though.... no generic supermarket beefsteaks... yecchhh dazed025.gif ) on toasted French bread. Really tasty and also really difficult to eat. laugh.gif Fork and knife (and spoon) recommended.

That sounds decent and not odd at all. I think a lemonade or beer would definitely go well with that sandwich.

QUOTE (Mara @ May 21 2012, 07:08 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 21 2012, 06:50 PM)

Just please don't call it jelly. laugh.gif

Damn, that sounds good.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ May 19 2012, 04:45 PM)
QUOTE (ioc @ May 18 2012, 03:02 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,May 18 2012, 07:56 AM)
QUOTE (ioc @ May 18 2012, 04:52 AM)
They sound like mother-in-the-making combinations.

Although I have had fish finger sandwiches. And while not typically served on a sandwich, chocolate and chili con carne is very similar to a traditional Mexican dish - mole. (pronounced moe-leh, not like the small rodent)

It's pronounced mohleh, not really moeleh. Just pointing that out, as a Mexican who loves mole!

And yes, sometimes it is even made with peanut butter. It's very strange but chocolate as a sauce for meat would not seemed to far-fetched after trying this. It's not all chocolate though? Here are spices and many other ingredients, depending on who makes it.

How the heck do you pronounce, "Moe?" wink.gif

Yeah, I've had it with peanut butter as well. [sings: "you've got your peanut butter in my chocolate mole!"] Guess it depends where in Mexico you're from. Oddly enough, my grandmother's had neither. Don't know what that was about.

Well, sorry, I guess I should've stressed it's not an English O sound, but a !exican one. I can't think of an English equivalent. Somewhere in between the au in audacity and the oe on moe.

Back to the food...mole poblano is one of my favorite dishes. And then there's Oaxaca (wah-hah-cah wink.gif ), Land of the Seven Moles. Great place below to read up n\on Oaxacan mole...and to steal some recipes:

http://www.mexconnect.com/articles/2266-th...the-seven-moles

QUOTE (ridertoo98 @ Jun 26 2012, 11:32 AM)
normal for bbq the have some slaw.. yummy too.

Pulled pork with slaw and pineapple = heaven!

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 1 2012, 01:28 PM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Jun 30 2012, 11:23 PM)
How about banana and onion sandwiches..?

Okay now that's just crazy talk babycat!

You telling me, JB! It was some years back - someone went to some deli and asked for this banana and onion sandwich..!