The Great Pink Floyd Thread

rushgoober

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Dec 11 2005, 11:09 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 11 2005, 09:44 PM)
a little tidbit of Floyd history.  originally when they hired david gilmour, they intended to keep barrett, but have him take a backseat role, not being the frontman in concert and have him work mostly in the studio.  they even played 4 or 5 shows with all FIVE of them on stage!  i talked to a guy once who actually saw one of those shows.  anyway, that setup didn't last long and syd was ousted pretty soon afterwards.  syd was THE star of the band and most people thought they would never make it without him, but somehow they pulled it off, of course naturally evolving into one of the most successful bands of all time....

I've heard Dave Gilmour say that one evening, he, Roger, Nick and Rick were on the way to a gig, and someone said, "Hey...what if we just don't pick up Syd?" and so they didn't.

I think poor Syd was so far gone by then that he probably didn't even notice.

Syd did cheer up a bit when David first joined PF as a 5-piece. They did 5 gigs with Syd and David Gilmour. One of the guys said "shall we pick up Syd" and then Roger said "NAAAAAH, let's not bother" and that was the end. I knew PF were a 5-piece for awhile(there are pictures with the 5 piece Floyd with Barrett and Gilmour in the band, I knew they were a 5-piece briefly when I was a kid)

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Dec 11 2005, 08:09 PM)
a little tidbit of Floyd history.  originally when they hired david gilmour, they intended to keep barrett, but have him take a backseat role, not being the frontman in concert and have him work mostly in the studio.  they even played 4 or 5 shows with all FIVE of them on stage!  i talked to a guy once who actually saw one of those shows.  anyway, that setup didn't last long and syd was ousted pretty soon afterwards.  syd was THE star of the band and most people thought they would never make it without him, but somehow they pulled it off, of course naturally evolving into one of the most successful bands of all time....

I've heard Dave Gilmour say that one evening, he, Roger, Nick and Rick were on the way to a gig, and someone said, "Hey...what if we just don't pick up Syd?" and so they didn't.

i think he did notice. if i remember correctly, i think it was VERY hard on gilmour at the beginning as syd showed up at one show (maybe more?) and just stared at him as if to say, "that's MY band!" of course he was still pretty far gone still at that point. obviously the animosity didn't last as the other floyd members (in various combinations) helped produce both of syd's solo albums. if anyone out there is a fan of early floyd and has NOT heard syd barrett's "the madcap laughs", you're really missing out.

Also, the day Syd showed up was David Gilmour's first wedding day. Many people at Gilmour's wedding reception mistook Barrett for either a chef or a member of the Hare Krishna religion.

The longevity of this thread as well as the length of the postings are a tribute to the great influence and impact of PF.

To me, like a lot of the great English bands, their early work is eclipsed by what some would consider their more commercial later stuff. A lot of the early PF material is very artistic and expressive instrumental stuff that many might consider boring and others consider brilliant, but a lot of it is quite late '60s MOD with a bit of psychedelic thrown in. (Arnold Layne, Candy and a Currant Bun, See Emily Play, Apples and Oranges, etc.) IMHO Pink Floyd's golden age began with DSotM and ended with TW. It ain't PF without RW and it ain't PF without DG! Of course it is PF without DG but just for a bit. blush4.gif Oh that's not what I mean at all. What I mean is... uh... it's not PF without Syd's direction and influence, and it's not PF without DG's amazingly emotional guitar and vocals. Yea, that's it! I think. Anyway, the important thing is that we share our love for this awesome band.

And of course I share every ones emotion at the awesome reunion recently. I'm afraid any hope of a tour is out of the question though. At least we can look forward to more 2.gif !!!

QUOTE (Weakly Criminal @ Jan 14 2006, 03:56 AM)
The longevity of this thread as well as the length of the postings are a tribute to the great influence and impact of PF.

To me, like a lot of the great English bands, their early work is eclipsed by what some would consider their more commercial later stuff. A lot of the early PF material is very artistic and expressive instrumental stuff that many might consider boring and others consider brilliant, but a lot of it is quite late '60s MOD with a bit of psychedelic thrown in. (Arnold Layne, Candy and a Currant Bun, See Emily Play, Apples and Oranges, etc.) IMHO Pink Floyd's golden age began with DSotM and ended with TW. It ain't PF without RW and it ain't PF without DG! Of course it is PF without DG but just for a bit. blush4.gif Oh that's not what I mean at all. What I mean is... uh... it's not PF without Syd's direction and influence, and it's not PF without DG's amazingly emotional guitar and vocals. Yea, that's it! I think. Anyway, the important thing is that we share our love for this awesome band.

And of course I share every ones emotion at the awesome reunion recently. I'm afraid any hope of a tour is out of the question though. At least we can look forward to more 2.gif !!!

Rush will be back. PF is uncertain as David Gilmour is ready to release his solo album On an Island and play a few dates to support it. Also, Roger Waters hasn't ruled out working with them again for either a last album/tour or 40th anniversary tour or another benefit concert.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 12 2005, 01:03 PM)

i think he did notice. if i remember correctly, i think it was VERY hard on gilmour at the beginning as syd showed up at one show (maybe more?) and just stared at him as if to say, "that's MY band!" of course he was still pretty far gone still at that point. obviously the animosity didn't last as the other floyd members (in various combinations) helped produce both of syd's solo albums. if anyone out there is a fan of early floyd and has NOT heard syd barrett's "the madcap laughs", you're really missing out.

Just went through a closet upstairs in my house, and found a ton of my uncles old vinyl, one of them being Madcap Laughs.

QUOTE (thestand @ Jan 14 2006, 12:49 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 12 2005, 01:03 PM)

Just went through a closet upstairs in my house, and found a ton of my uncles old vinyl, one of them being Madcap Laughs.

dude, PLEASE share your feelings on the madcap laughs after you get a chance to know it... smile.gif

Hey there's a Pink Floyd tribute album out, that has awesome players on it.....including Chris Squire, Tony Levin, and I think Bill Bruford, check out www.chrissquire.com wink.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jun 25 2005, 10:28 PM)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/test4vitalsigns/pinkfloydgirls.jpg

I have a giant poster of this 1022.gif  (54 inches by 39inches)

Hey, I have that poster on my wall too! laugh.gif

I'm not a HUGE Floyd fan; I have DSOTM and WYWH. Both are excellent IMO, although I like WYWH better than DSOTM. One of these days I intend to buy The Wall. Maybe Animals. I think I'll eventually buy Meddle too- I heard that album on the radio once (yes, the whole thing!) and even though that was about five years ago I still remember it.

QUOTE (Tull Fan Too @ Jan 15 2006, 02:20 AM)

I'm not a HUGE Floyd fan; I have DSOTM and WYWH. Both are excellent IMO, although I like WYWH better than DSOTM. One of these days I intend to buy The Wall. Maybe Animals. I think I'll eventually buy Meddle too- I heard that album on the radio once (yes, the whole thing!) and even though that was about five years ago I still remember it.

Definitely get Animals yes.gif

I'm having a bit of a Pink Floyd week. Been listening to old cds like More and Relics. Excellent stuff. I still love the first side of Atom Heart Mother.

Tull Fan Too: One of these days I intend to buy The Wall.

One Of These Days is a Floyd song! It is the opening track on their 1971 album 'Meddle'.

EDIT: Oops! Not talking about Rush here....

common001.gif common001.gif icon_alienjig.gif

Edited by Rush!

QUOTE (Rush! @ Jan 15 2006, 02:42 PM)
Tull Fan Too: One of these days I intend to buy The Wall.

One Of These Days is a Floyd song! It is the opening track on their 1971 album 'Meddle'.

Really? I didn't know that! LOL!

Test4VitalSigns: What is Animals like?

EDIT: Wait a minute, I remember the song now. That's the one where he says "One of these days I'm going to cut you into little pieces!" (Duh!)

That was a pretty cool song IIRC.

Edited by Tull Fan Too

Oh god, you guys are making me show my hippyness...

I have a wall rug of that. Right next to my Starman wallrug and my J. Garcia wallrug. My wall is an orgy of good yes.gif

bolt.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jan 14 2006, 11:42 PM)

Definitely get The Piper at the Gates of Dawn and A Saucerful of Secrets and Meedle and Atom Heart Mother. No offense to anyone as I think their 4 big albums from the 70's are great, but I get super tired of people worshiping them and totally ignoring their brilliant superlative pre-Dark Side albums...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 15 2006, 03:41 PM)

Definitely get The Piper at the Gates of Dawn and A Saucerful of Secrets and Meedle and Atom Heart Mother. No offense to anyone as I think their 4 big albums from the 70's are great, but I get super tired of people worshiping them and totally ignoring their brilliant superlative pre-Dark Side albums...

My favorite pre-DSotM albums in no order are:

Meddle

Obscured By Clouds

Atom Heart Mother

Ummagumma

More

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn

A Saucerful of Secrets

Relics

Best post-1973 and 1980 albums are:

The Division Bell

The Final Cut

A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Best live albums:

Pulse

Is There Anybody Out There

Ummagumma

Delicate Sound of Thunder

Who is ignoring the early stuff? Get super-tired all you want but the 70's albums were the zenith of their career. Just about every Floyd fan I knew started with the 70's stuff and went back to check out the earlier stuff. Some like it most don't. I personally love all their stuff (though it took me awhile to really like Momentary).

I really don't know a single person of my generation or this current generation who started listening to the beginning of their career first up to the 70's albums...With few exceptions(you included) I don't know anyone who thinks their earlier stuff tops the 70's era albums...

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jan 16 2006, 07:57 PM)

Who is ignoring the early stuff? Get super-tired all you want but the 70's albums were the zenith of their career. Just about every Floyd fan I knew started with the 70's stuff and went back to check out the earlier stuff. Some like it most don't. I personally love all their stuff (though it took me awhile to really like Momentary).

I really don't know a single person of my generation or this current generation who started listening to the beginning of their career first up to the 70's albums...With few exceptions(you included) I don't know anyone who thinks their earlier stuff tops the 70's era albums...

Sorry Test, it's part of my general frustration that the music I generally love gets ignored by the mainstream, even as far as Pink Floyd goes. People tend to just like what's very popular, but even more common, people tend to just like what they've heard, though Pink Floyd is a big enough band that many HAVE explored their pre-Dark Side stuff (and thank God they did have ultra-popular albums, or their pre-Dark Side more underground challenging stuff would be a tiny footnote in musical history). It just seems like Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, Animals and The Wall are easy albums to love, and I've always been into more challenging, less easily accessible stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I truly love those 4 albums and I most likely got into Floyd with those albums first (though honestly, I can't remember where I started), it's just that everyone loves those albums and I tend to shy away from what's ultra-popular. I dunno, to me their pre-Dark Side music is the kind of music I listen to all the time, so I don't even want to say it's better, more that it's just my style. People listening only to the big four is easy - they're accessible - it's like pizza or chocolate - how hard are they to love?

I know I'm a snob about this, but what can I do if I like more challenging and obscure music? I get bored with people liking only VERY well known and popular groups. I do my best to be tolerant of other people's musical tastes. God knows my wife can't stand most of my obscure music and listens to FAR more accessible music - I love her completely, but that music bores the crap out of me. We like some of the same things and play them together, but I get tired of it fast and want to hear something weirder and more challenging all the time.

There are plenty of people who prefer pre-Dark Side Floyd, some on this board even, but of course they're going to be in the minority - albums that sell 1 or 2 million copies are bound to be less popular than albums that sell 10 or 20 million copies. I just get tired of people worshipping them. Imagine if there was a group you loved where they made a few what you consider brilliant groundbreaking albums that you loved dearly. Then they made a couple of INCREDIBLY popular ones that were also groundbreaking (in a different way), or at least widely influential, but were very different than the era you TRULY loved. You could say to 500 people I love this group and they would go - REALLY? ME TOO! ALRIGHT! And then they would list off the two incredibly popular ones 99% of the time. They either hadn't heard their earlier work or tried it and gave up cause it wasn't as easily accessible - don't you think it might get frustrating to you too after awhile?

That's what it's like with me and Floyd and with me and music in general. I tell people I like late 60's music and they're like - ME TOO! And then they talk about Hendrix and the Doors and the Beatles. Don't get me wrong I LOVE those groups, but I get frustrated that virtually no one has heard of (or at least heard)The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band, Kak, Lazy Smoke, Astral Navigations, Fairport Convention, Kaleidoscope, The 13th Floor Elevators and Appletree Theater - groups that EASILY (imho) deserve the same acclaim as the Pink Floyds of this world. It frustrates me that Rush's highest charting song is New World Man at #21 (in the U.S.) when songs like My Hump goes to #3, and Rush are a group I consider to have had a great deal of popularity next to most of what I listen to.

So what can I do? I can't put people down for loving Animals, it's a great album, and if people want to listen to and purchase shit like My Hump, well, they're entitled to their bad taste. I get bored and frustrated, that's all...

Edited by rushgoober

^^ Wow, that's a very good rant, RushGoober.

(Going off topic here) I have to admit that I feel the same way about Kansas (another one of my favorite bands)- everyone knows Leftoverture and Point of Know Return. Few people are familiar with their first three albums- which IMHO are superior to the more popular ones.

(Going back on topic) I may get into the more "obscure" PF later, but right now I'm still trying to collect the more popular stuff and see how it hits me. If I'm still interested after that, I'll start getting into the other albums. I'm truly sorry if that offends you.

That being said, you guys are a bad influence on me- I come to a Rush forum and am encouraged to buy Pink Floyd albums! wtf.gif rofl3.gif

Tell me, if I have the choice between Permanent Waves and The Wall which one should I choose? laugh.gif Keep in mind that I already have Permanent Waves on minidisc. wink.gif