The Great Pink Floyd Thread

rushgoober

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jul 4 2005, 02:55 PM)
rare Syd sighting in 2001....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/test4vitalsigns/more%20gifs/Syd-Barrett-abril-2001-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/test4vitalsigns/more%20gifs/Syd-Barrett-Abril-2001-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/test4vitalsigns/more%20gifs/Syd-Barrett-abril-2001-3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/test4vitalsigns/more%20gifs/F_SYD_S.gif

WOW! Just like seeing Big foot. laugh.gif I forgot to mention also have Syd's "The Mad Cap Laughs" On vinyl stole off my sister years ago.... cool.gif unsure.gif (I meant borrowed) tongue.gif

Edited by softfilter

as far as i'm concerned, the only solo floyd albums that are essential must haves are the syd barrett solo albums, and none are more essential than his first "the madcap laughs" (1970) - one of my favorite all time albums by anyone, but Barrett (1970) and Opel (1988, but containing outtakes from the first two and songs for a never completed 3rd album) are also WELL worth obtaining. if anyone's interested, just pick up the box set "Crazy Diamond" that has all of it - one of the best box sets I've ever bought...

interstingly for me, as far as i'm concrerned, it's the very rare occurrence when a solo album from a band ends up being better than the band's work itself, and even rush is no exception there. there's some kind of magic that exists in certain combos that just can't be captured by individuals in the band by themselves - take the beatles - there are some imho great solo albums (ram by paul mccartney, john lennon/plastic ono band by john lennon, all things must pass by george harrison - sorry ringo!), but none of them really comes close to the beatles themselves. i've heard a couple of gilmour solos (decent) and waters, wright and mason solos (not so hot imho), but none come close to the magic they had as a combo...

I totally agree Goob. Barretts solo stuff is amazing. Forget Gilmour and go with Barrett!

I see someone else has the Creepy Stalker footage! Glad to know I am not the only one! Hey do you have Syd Baretts first trip too??

Edited by pixey

Here is my all time favorite Pink Floyd album

http://i16.ebayimg.com/02/i/05/35/0d/e7_1.JPG

My mom bought this for me by mistake on my 9th birthday on January 24, 1985 instead of A Collection of Great Dance Songs!

My favorite period in 1971 to 1977. Meddle was a masterpiece. Obscured by Clouds was fantastic. Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here and Animals are brilliant as well.

In fact, I love all eras of PF! I first heard when I was in diapers in 1976 was DSotM. It always soothed me in a way no other record did.

The first albums I heard were DSotM(from birth onwards), The Wall(in 1980 as older sister had record and brother had 8 track), A Collection of Great Dance Songs(mom had record, bro had 8 track).

List of when I first got my own copy of each album(lengthy thread and is where my autism/Aspergers comes in handy and I won't mention when I bought re-mastered issues)

on cassette or CD(I now have whole catalog on CD in remastered form save*):

The Final Cut(my mom bought me cassette in June of 1983 and I loved it. Would replace FOUR TIMES. First CD copy was September 21, 1991 and would upgrade to 2004 remaster on May 4, 2001)

The Dark Side of the Moon(eighth birthday on January 24, 1984 then replaced FIVE TIMES in next seven years. First CD copy and also was the first CD I ever bought on August 2, 1991. Upgraded to remaster on Shine On box set(and also the 1995 remaster and SACD))

The Wall(Valentines Day 1984 then replaced seven times. First got on CD on December 24, 1991 and got first remastered CD copy on Shine On box set)

Wish You Were Here(my ninth birthday on January 24, 1985 then replaced four times in next few years. First got on CD on Christmas, 1991 and first remastered copy was on Shine On box set)

A Collection of Great Dance Songs(January 26, 1985 then replaced FOUR more times in next few years. First CD copy bought on August 16, 1991(along with Rush's Signals(CD copy 1) and first got remaster on December 16, 1997)

Animals(February 21, 1985 after brother got P'O'd I kept stealing his copy, replaced three more times. First CD copy I got on August 24, 1991 and first heard remaster on Shine On box set)

Works(August 16, 1985 then replaced September 6, 1987. First CD copy I got on February 1, 1992)*

A Nice Pair(re-issue of Piper at the Gates of Dawn and A Saucerful of Secrets on one double album with Ummagumma Astronomy Domine replacing studio version)(May 30, 1987 and then again Christmas 1988)(album not on CD)

Obscured by Clouds(July 25, 1987 then replaced two more times. First CD copy purchased on January 1, 1993. First heard remaster in April of 1996 via UK import)

Atom Heart Mother(August 15, 1987 and then again on February 3, 1990. First CD copy I acquired of January 23, 1993. First remastered copy I acquired on July 16, 1995)

A Momentary Lapse of Reason(September 15, 1987 and then again October 10, 1987. First CD copy was bought on August 31, 1991 and got first remastered copy on Shine On box set)

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn UK edition(October 23, 1987 then replaced in September, 1994. First CD copy I acquired on February 20, 1993. First remastered copy I got on July 14, 1995)

A Saucerful of Secrets(separaterly)(October 23, 1987 then replaced in September, 1994. First CD copy I acquired on April 11, 1992. First remastered copy I got on Shine On box set)

Meddle(November 7, 1987 and then replaced on Christmas 1990. First CD copy I got on March 14, 1992. First remastered copy was in Shine On box set)

Relics(December 6, 1987. Then I acquired remastered CD on St Patrick's Day 1996 as UK import)

Ummagumma(Christmas 1987(Careful With That Axe Eugene, Set the Controls For the Heart of the Sun and A Saucerful of Secrets all live were chopped off cassette). I first bought on CD on August 31, 1991. Got first remastered copy on June 19, 1995)

More(January 16, 1988. First got on CD on October 5, 1991. Got remaster in May of 1996 via UK import)

Delicate Sound of Thunder(November 27, 1988 then replaced on May 19, 1990. First got on CD on September 16, 1991)*

Shine On boxed set(CD only release with remasters of ASoS, Meddle, DSotM, WYWH, Animals, The Wall, AMLoR and The Early Singles)(November 26, 1992 but opened on Christmas 1992)

The Division Bell(I got CD the day it came out April 5, 1994 and cassette April 8, 1994 and aqua blue vinyl on August 15, 1994)*

PULSE(I first acquired on June 6, 1995 on CD and bought cassette with bonus tracks on June 10, 1995)*

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn 30th Anniversary Edition(December, 1998)

Is There Anybody Out There The Wall Live 1980-81(I first bought on CD on April 18, 2000 and the cassette for the car April 21, 2000. Remaster I acquired in July of 2005)*

Echoes(I first bought on CD on November 6, 2001)

The Dark Side of the Moon 30th Anniversary Edition Hybrid SACD(I first bought on March 25, 2003)

There is my comprehensive history of when I first got each album! Whenever each PF disc would get a scratch, I go off and buy another one. I always buy my PF and Rush albums NEW and REFUSE to download official releases from each band!

Solo releases:

Syd Barrett

Madcap Laughs and Barrett(June, 1994)

Opel(May 21, 1994)

Crazy Diamond(November, 2001)

Wouldn't You Miss Me(April, 2001)

Roger Waters:

Music From the Body(December, 1994(UK issue))

The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking(cassette on April 22, 1989 and then replaced in October, 1990. First got CD on August 14, 1992)

Radio K.A.O.S.(cassette on September 17, 1987 and then CD July 16, 1993)

Amused to Death(September 17, 1992)

In the Flesh(December 5, 2000)

Flickering Flame(April 5, 2002)

David Gilmour:

David Gilmour(first got cassette on March 19, 1988 and would replace twice. First got CD on December 20, 1991)

About Face(first got on cassette on February 6, 1988 and would replace once. First got on CD on September 4, 1991(I also bought Rush's Roll the Bones with it))

On an Island(I will acquire on March 7, 2006)

Nick Mason:

Fictitious Sports(first got on cassette on August 15, 1991 and then CD on November 25, 1994)

Profiles(first got on CD on December 27, 1994)

Rick Wright:

Wet Dream(December 10, 1994)

Broken China(December 17, 1996)

I have all albums of PF!

My favorite studio albums are as follows

1)WYWH and Animals(dead tie and both albums are timeless)

2)DSotM(great classic)

3)TDB(best post-Waters album proved Waters was NOT PF)

4)Meddle(classic)

5)The Wall(excellent)

6)TPatGoD(Syd was a great genius)

7)ObC(excellent album)

8)AHM(another winner)

9)More(very good underrated album and I can sit straight through)

10)ASoS(I can sit through this one asl well)

11)TFC(I have to be in mood to listen to it although it is great)

12)AMLoR(I preferred these tracks live)

13)Ummagumma(although I like I listen to rarely)

Best live albums from Waters era:

ITAOT(The Wall rocked live)

Ummagumma(very good but songs were better on Live at Pompeii film)

Best live albums post-Waters

PULSE(hands down best live album ever and I saw them on the DB tour)

DSoT(good but digital recording was bland)

My Fav Floyd album is Atom Heart Mother.

I've been lucky to see them twice.

Once in '75 Touring Dark Side and previewing tracks that ended up on Wish You Were Here and Animals.

Then in '80 (I think) to see The Wall in Earl's Court.

I love me some Pink Floyd.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 6 2005, 08:28 AM)
floydfanatic, how on earth do you remember the dates when you bought each album/cd? confused13.gif

It is a gift I have with my Aspergers Syndrome(a type of autism I have) which allows me to have instant recall on things like when I first heard albums or saw concerts or memorable events and/or disasters in my life.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Dec 6 2005, 03:46 AM)
You forgot Ca Ira there floydfanatic111, heh. Roger Waters just released it last month. I guess no one else picked it up though sad.gif

I heard Ca Ira, it is too boring! Not a fan of opera in its own right although I did like Freddie Mercury's Barcelona album which he did with Montserrat Caballe.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Dec 6 2005, 01:33 PM)
For me, Pink Floyds best album is Meddle.

I'm much more a fan of their psychedelic era than "THE WALL" era. it's much more interesting and seems to be More Pink Floyd than the later stuff. Meddle is just brilliant, i'd go as far to say One Of These Days is my fav. Pink Floyd song!

One of These Days is a GREAT song, but for me the masterpiece off that album is the amazing 23-minute-plus ECHOES.

Echoes

Overhead the albatross

Hangs motionless upon the air

And deep beneath the rolling waves

In labyrinths of coral caves

An echo of a distant time

Comes willowing across the sand

And everything is green and submarine.

And no one called us to the land

And no one knows the where's or why's.

Something stirs and something tries

Starts to climb toward the light.

Strangers passing in the street

By chance two separate glances meet

And I am you and what I see is me.

And do I take you by the hand

And lead you through the land

And help me understand

The best I can.

And no one called us to the land

And no one crosses there alive.

No one speaks and no one tries

No one flies around the sun....

Almost everyday you fall

Upon my waking eyes,

Inviting and inciting me

To rise.

And through the window in the wall

Come streaming in on sunlight wings

A million bright ambassadors of morning.

And no one sings me lullabyes

And no one makes me close my eyes

So I throw the windows wide

And call to you across the sky....

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 6 2005, 05:47 PM)
One of These Days is a GREAT song, but for me the masterpiece off that album is the amazing 23-minute-plus ECHOES.

I concur.

This thread makes me want to do an "attitude adjustment" and pop in my Live in Pompei Director's Cut DVD.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Dec 6 2005, 04:33 PM)
For me, Pink Floyds best album is Meddle.

I'm much more a fan of their psychedelic era than "THE WALL" era. it's much more interesting and seems to be More Pink Floyd than the later stuff. Meddle is just brilliant, i'd go as far to say One Of These Days is my fav. Pink Floyd song!

Meddle is a great album. However, America wasn't receptive initially and stalled at #70 but over time became a classic and would go Gold after the success of Dark Side of the Moon(Rush hit a similar pattern with 2112 which did crack the US Top 100 but sales were slow at first and would not be until the success of A Farewell to Kings that 2112 would go Gold).

I prefer Echoes Live on Pompeii than studio and One of These Days was stellar live!

I'm getting back into Pink Floyd. Before i've only had Dark Side of the Moon. I've recently picked up Wish You Were Here, The Wall, Meddle, and Piper At The Gates Of Dawn. What do ya'll suggest I get next? Edited by progrush2112

QUOTE (progrush2112 @ Dec 8 2005, 12:37 AM)
I'm getting back into Pink Floyd. Before i've only had Dark Side of the Moon. I've recently picked up Wish You Were Here, The Wall, Meddle, and Piper At The Gates Of Dawn. What do ya'll suggest I get next?

Definatly Animals.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Dec 8 2005, 03:51 AM)
QUOTE (progrush2112 @ Dec 8 2005, 12:37 AM)
I'm getting back into Pink Floyd.  Before i've only had Dark Side of the Moon. I've recently picked up Wish You Were Here, The Wall, Meddle, and Piper At The Gates Of Dawn. What do ya'll suggest I get next?

Definatly Animals.

yes.gif DEFINITELY!!!

Personally my fav album

Animals is a great album although it signalled the end of the classic lineup. David Gilmour and Roger Waters are proud of the album but Rick Wright hates it. No idea what Nick Mason thought of it. I personally enjoyed it. Dogs rules!

Pink Floyd is my all-time favorite. 2nd favorite is Rush. My favorite by Floyd is also Animals. It was probably their angriest album since that's when Gilmour and Waters began to argue. Meddle is a great album, except for the dreadful "Seamus" but "Echoes" and "One Of These Days" are the masterpieces, beautifully crafted for that album. I used to think I knew a lot about Floyd until I registered on 2 forums and I was like "Wow, these guys know what they're talkin about." Wish You Were Here is great as well, a tribute to Syd Barrett. He flamed out on drugs probably around the end of '67 going into '68. He was also schizophrenic. I enjoy their debut "The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn." Very psychedelic. Pick up their second album if you enjoy TPATGOD and get "A Saucerful Of Secrets" (1968). That contains the last song that Barrett wrote for Floyd: "Jugband Blues". The last line makes you wonder about Barrett: "And what exactly is a dream? And what exactly is a joke?" Weird how that song ends. It also contains the very mysterious "Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun".That is a GREAT song. I have not yet heard "Ummagumma" (slang term for sex, at least that's what I've heard) but, judging by the sound clips I've heard on www.amazon.com it's pretty weird especially "Several Species...". OK, well, anyway there's so much stuff to say about Floyd. All I know is that I am one of their biggest fans, I hope to have all of their material on vinyl. I've been thinking of collecting vinyl and hanging them on my wall. I'm close to having all of their CDs. I saw Roger Waters in concert on his In The Flesh tour in 1999. It was great. I was close to the stage, but not front row, I had V.I.P. tickets. Well, anyway, I wish I could have seen all 4 of them in concert. Well, anyway, for those of you who don't listen to Floyd, you're missing out.

My favorite album from PF is Wish You Were Here. Shine on You Crazy Diamond(all NINE parts) are worth the price of admission. Lastly, that was the last time Roger Waters, David Gilmour and Rick Wright wrote anything as a unit(it technically runs 26 minutes without being split in half). The title cut was a great song though it was written on spur of the moment after DG was fiddling with his guitar at Abbey Road(where WYWH was recorded) and Roger was impressed with the riff that he wrote the lyrics immediately. Welcome to the Machine and Have a Cigar were excellent attacks on the record industry.

a little tidbit of Floyd history. originally when they hired david gilmour, they intended to keep barrett, but have him take a backseat role, not being the frontman in concert and have him work mostly in the studio. they even played 4 or 5 shows with all FIVE of them on stage! i talked to a guy once who actually saw one of those shows. anyway, that setup didn't last long and syd was ousted pretty soon afterwards. syd was THE star of the band and most people thought they would never make it without him, but somehow they pulled it off, of course naturally evolving into one of the most successful bands of all time....

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 11 2005, 09:44 PM)
a little tidbit of Floyd history. originally when they hired david gilmour, they intended to keep barrett, but have him take a backseat role, not being the frontman in concert and have him work mostly in the studio. they even played 4 or 5 shows with all FIVE of them on stage! i talked to a guy once who actually saw one of those shows. anyway, that setup didn't last long and syd was ousted pretty soon afterwards. syd was THE star of the band and most people thought they would never make it without him, but somehow they pulled it off, of course naturally evolving into one of the most successful bands of all time....

I've heard Dave Gilmour say that one evening, he, Roger, Nick and Rick were on the way to a gig, and someone said, "Hey...what if we just don't pick up Syd?" and so they didn't.

I think poor Syd was so far gone by then that he probably didn't even notice.