MusicRadar: Clockwork Angels full album review

RushFanForever

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CLOCKWORK ANGELS

Stephen Colbert once joked with Rush by asking, "Have you ever written a song so epic that by the end of the song you were actually being influenced by yourself in the beginning of the song?" Which could indeed be the case with this mini classic that works as a self-contained rock opera.

It's a lot to take in all at once, but what stays with you are things like Peart's blissful dancing on the hi-hat and Lifeson's bold Townshend-esque revelry. (Can a song have its own overture? It not, it certainly does now.) And then there's Lee's voice, which has never sounded so smooth and unaffected.

When the band is hard charging, Peart pounds on his toms with an almost beastly force. By the 4:30 mark, the spotlight hits Lifeson, performing a solo that plays like an aria.

It all builds to a playful false ending, an audio trompe l'oiel... which proceeds to a shattering finale.

CARNIES

Sweet and soul, rude and inviting - this phantasmagoric pounder is fascinating in how everything seems effortlessly, inexplicably right. It also features probably the meanest riff that Alex Lifeson has ever played - on record at least - one which dovetails seamlessly into a brutal mass of a verse.

Throughout Carnies, Lifeson keeps upping his game and reaching new heights. His solo is a spiral of patterns both raging and tender. He possesses an extravagant gift for making the perfect sound at the perfect time - bell-like flourishes, scooped-out phased chords, spitfire trills - and his intuition adds to their ceaseless and bewildering beauty.

HALO EFFECT

Can you possibly tell that a song is destined to become a classic the first time you hear it? Possibly - and if, for some reason, Halo Effect doesn't make it into the pantheon of all-time Rush greats, it'll come damn close.

Over a gorgeous, double-tracked acoustic guitar figure, Geddy Lee sings richly, even-tempered and marvelously expressive. The track surges into a section of stomping power trio goodness, but the overall framework is acoustic, soon laced with elegant strings.

"What did I do before there were words?" Lee asks, bathed in a breathtaking glow of cellos that carry him - and us - away.

THE GARDEN

A pastoral delight that comes over you like a daydream. Graceful and buoyant acoustics, tasteful orchestration, and Lee singing in a simple, unaffected style make up the bedrock of The Garden.

Peart joins in on a second verse, laying down a soft shuffle, and even when he appears to be doing very little, his sense of composition and movement has a profound impact. His patterns are so natural that it's almost as if the sticks breezed into his hands and started playing him.

After a spellbindingly romantic piano interlude, Lifeson reaches in and pulls out a multi-dimensional guitar solo, one which recalls the mysterious epiphanies from Limelight. There's a certain melancholy quality to his phrasing, as is he's pausing briefly to look behind his shoulder.

By the end, he's rejoined his bandmates and the three march off intrepidly together. They don't dwell in the moment - there's no needlessly showy flourishes or building the crescendo up as "epic" - but the further away they get the more it becomes apparent that the spell they've cast and the resonance of Clockwork Angels will linger on.

I. AM. EXCITED. common001.gif

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 7 2012, 07:52 AM)
One of the best things I see on these reviews is that, for almost every song, the reviewer mentions an "Alex solo".

It keeps coming up over and over...and that makes me happy! 1022.gif

Yes! I knew Alex would shine on this record. 1022.gif

Can't wait to hear his supposed "BEST RIFF EVER" on Carnies!

QUOTE (Alchemical @ May 7 2012, 07:55 AM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 7 2012, 07:52 AM)
One of the best things I see on these reviews is that, for almost every song, the reviewer mentions an "Alex solo".

It keeps coming up over and over...and that makes me happy!  1022.gif

Yes! I knew Alex would shine on this record. 1022.gif

Can't wait to hear his supposed "BEST RIFF EVER" on Carnies!

With a song title like "carnies" it must be good wink.gif

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif

breathtaking glow of cellos

Rush + cellos = EPIC WIN icon_alienjig.gif

WE WE WE SOO EXCITEDDD

Although after hearing a great deal of orchestration supposed to be on the album, I still think it would be fantastic if they played the whole of CA for this tour. I think that they worked up this great concept and they need to represent it best by playing it whole. Also, I really don't want them to play 2112 in its entirety laugh.gif laugh.gif , but CA would be great!

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ May 7 2012, 09:08 AM)
Yes, THE PIANO IS BACK!!! 653.gif

w00000000000000t!!!!!! Love me some piano. yes.gif

653.gif cheer.gif common001.gif icon_alienjig.gif applaudit.gif

Sounds like BU2B is definitely different.

I LOVE the original, but I am psyched to hear it in a new light. I mean, even if this new version isn't as good, I still have the original, so that's awesome!

From the review though...I'm not sure that Caravan was at all altered. Doesn't sound like it...but who knows?! confused13.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 7 2012, 08:27 AM)

I LOVE the original, but I am psyched to hear it in a new light. I mean, even if this new version isn't as good, I still have the original, so that's awesome!

From the review though...I'm not sure that Caravan was at all altered. Doesn't sound like it...but who knows?! confused13.gif

I hope the new BU2B version makes it better than the old one. I'm sorry but the riff from the last one was probably the most unimaginative riff in rock history, next to anything Kurt Cobain wrote. So was Caravan, but at least that was more than four notes!

And I have a feeling the album version of Caravan got a different mix if nothing else but who knows! confused13.gif

Surely they were both rerecorded though. It would be very unlike Rush to tinker with JUST BU2B and not at least rerecord Caravan.

QUOTE (Alchemical @ May 7 2012, 09:30 AM)

From the review though...I'm not sure that Caravan was at all altered. Doesn't sound like it...but who knows?!  confused13.gif

Surely they were both rerecorded though. It would be very unlike Rush to tinker with JUST BU2B and not at least rerecord Caravan.

I hope so.

Like I've stated before, I love both tunes alot. But since I have the originals, I would love to see both get a makeover...that way it feels like we get an entire new album.

Here's hoping! 1287.gif

I got chills reading that. How ridiculous is that? Just the very idea that some one has heard the whole record gave me freakin' chills!

GLEEEEEE!!!!!

2.gif