Queensryche

presto123

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love the Ryche...well, most of it.

My favourite record is probably a tie between Empire and Operation: Mindcrime. Both are flawless and fantastic records.

As far as favourite songs...way too many. Again, anything off Empire and Mindcrime come to mind.

'Resistance' has always been a huge favourite of mine. 'Revolution Calling' is another amazing song...the lyrics are fantastic.

The 'Ryche are dead to me.

I loved everything they did up to and including Promised Land. I found interesting things in most of their other work up until Mindcrime II (which I thought was ill-advised). American Soldier also has a few decent tunes on it. However, their latest, Dedicated to Chaos, is simply horrid. Considering all the nonsense the band is going through right now with Tate and his wife (cabaret show, shiprocked, etc.) , it's equivalent to whoring out the Queensryche name.

I saw them last summer and it was Crap. Tate can not sing anymore and they/ tate write shit songs now. Pack it in or fire Tate and get DeGarmo back . I would pay to see that yes.gif Wilton can sing

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 16 2012, 12:01 PM)
I saw them last summer and it was Crap. Tate can not sing anymore and they/ tate write shit songs now. Pack it in or fire Tate and get DeGarmo back . I would pay to see that yes.gif Wilton can sing

Yeah, they came through here (St. Louis) and I'd seen them on just about every tour here since Promised Land...I skipped the last one. Glad I did! It's sad that a once mighty band like that has sunk so low.

Last really good album for me was Tribe...and Chris helped write most of those songs.

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 16 2012, 01:01 PM)

Hell Yes!

It's incredible how much this band relied on DeGarmo. He was the lifeblood behind Ryche. Everything he seemingly touched was gold.

Their track record is no coincidence:

EP through Promised Land (with DeGarmo) - All GOLD...their 'golden era'

HITNF - Decent...but DeGarmo was already not enjoying where they were going, and it shows

Q2K - DeGarmo gone...a very mediocre effort.

Tribe - DeGarmo BACK...a SOLID album, their last good record IMO

O:MII through Dedicated to Chaos - Bad, Bad, Bad

If Geoff Tate has any respect left for this band, he'd be flying out to meet Chris DeGarmo and BEG him to come back. Queensryche without Chris DeGarmo is simply not very good at all. Sad, but very true.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 16 2012, 01:10 PM)
QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ May 16 2012, 02:08 PM)
Both DeGarmo and Tate say they would get back together and record another Ryche album. So what is the hold up?!

Where/when did you hear this?

http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe...wsitemID=173546

That's Tate saying he'd love it if DeGarmo wanted to rejoin because they work so well together.

http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe...wsitemID=166788

This one is at the end of 2011. DeGarmo says he would love to do it if the feeling was right and all that jazz. He says pretty much the same as Tate. They work well together, have awesome chemistry, but it would have to come together properly.

QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ May 16 2012, 02:17 PM)
Both DeGarmo and Tate say they would get back together and record another Ryche album. So what is the hold up?!

That's Tate saying he'd love it if DeGarmo wanted to rejoin because they work so well together.

This one is at the end of 2011. DeGarmo says he would love to do it if the feeling was right and all that jazz. He says pretty much the same as Tate. They work well together, have awesome chemistry, but it would have to come together properly.

Yeah, Tate needs to beg! laugh.gif

QUOTE (tjtull @ May 16 2012, 11:35 AM)
Considering all the nonsense the band is going through right now with Tate and his wife (cabaret show, shiprocked, etc.) , it's equivalent to whoring out the Queensryche name.

Shiprocked did have one redeeming item for Queensryche... Their entire set consisted of Mindcrime from beginning to end. No filler.

But, they're done! Tate should stick to his solo stuff and wine-tasting appearances and leave the band. He's said on countless occasions that he's not a fan of heavy music. Do everyone a favor!

QUOTE (cfmoran13 @ May 16 2012, 03:01 PM)
Considering all the nonsense the band is going through right now with Tate and his wife (cabaret show, shiprocked, etc.) , it's equivalent to whoring out the Queensryche name.

Shiprocked did have one redeeming item for Queensryche... Their entire set consisted of Mindcrime from beginning to end. No filler.

But, they're done! Tate should stick to his solo stuff and wine-tasting appearances and leave the band. He's said on countless occasions that he's not a fan of heavy music. Do everyone a favor!

Yeah...that's the thing that bothers me most.

I recall reading some interview (I'll have to find it) from around the release of Dedicated to Chaos, and Tate was essentially dismissing all their best stuff (Mindcrime and Rage to Order) as stuff that is dated and that he doesn't care for anymore.

I was like, WTF? Seriously...this guy has lost it. The album was further proof.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 16 2012, 01:24 PM)
QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ May 16 2012, 02:17 PM)

Yeah, Tate needs to beg! laugh.gif

At this point, I'm not sure if Chris' input could even save the band. However, it's the only thing that would come close!

Such a shame too because the other members (besides Tate) are very talented...they just can't write songs.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 16 2012, 01:03 PM)

I recall reading some interview (I'll have to find it) from around the release of Dedicated to Chaos, and Tate was essentially dismissing all their best stuff (Mindcrime and Rage to Order) as stuff that is dated and that he doesn't care for anymore.

I'm not sure I disagree with him, though. A lot of the early-early stuff is pretty dated. Mindcrime is pretty timeless. Empire, too. But the EP, Warning & Rage haven't aged perfectly well, IMO.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 16 2012, 02:59 PM)

I'm not sure I disagree with him, though. A lot of the early-early stuff is pretty dated. Mindcrime is pretty timeless. Empire, too. But the EP, Warning & Rage haven't aged perfectly well, IMO.

I would be willing to bet you and Tate are the only ones that agree on this laugh.gif The 3 albums you are talking about are the ones that 90% of their fan base want to hear live. Tate does not believe that and he really should look around . The bands last album sold 8000 units and that is sad. They can't sell out a theater anymore and the only way they play to a large crowd is to open the show . He thinks he is some world class artist and Wine maker and he is just a joke these days . I saw them back when they had the world by the balls and Tate threw it all away with his Ego . I just heard their manager/Tates wife was let go 653.gif Now if they would just give Him his walking papers and get DeGarmo back for 1 more album i would be there with bells on

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 16 2012, 08:59 PM)

Rage? I don't think so. As I happened to listen to it when I saw this thread, I think it's one of the most experimental 'classic era' metal albums of all time. I'd see it as their only album which hasn't dated. All in all, a more respectable work than even Mindcrime, I guess.

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 16 2012, 04:46 PM)

I would be willing to bet you and Tate are the only ones that agree on this laugh.gif The 3 albums you are talking about are the ones that 90% of their fan base want to hear live. Tate does not believe that and he really should look around . The bands last album sold 8000 units and that is sad. They can't sell out a theater anymore and the only way they play to a large crowd is to open the show . He thinks he is some world class artist and Wine maker and he is just a joke these days . I saw them back when they had the world by the balls and Tate threw it all away with his Ego . I just heard their manager/Tates wife was let go 653.gif Now if they would just give Him his walking papers and get DeGarmo back for 1 more album i would be there with bells on

Agreed 100%.

Geoff Tate is delusional. Read any of his interviews in recent years.

They haven't been getting backlash from fans for nothing...their recent output is crap. Their official FB page was getting shit on by fans left, right, and centre after DtC came out. It was ugly.

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 16 2012, 02:46 PM)

Oh, I agree with you - I know that the early stuff is what the majority of fans want, and that the current stuff is pretty weak. When I say 'dated', and what I *think* he's talking about, is simply that the music sounds like it was produced 25-30 years ago, which, of course, it was. It has, IMO, a very "early 80's metal" sound to it... hence, 'dated'.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 16 2012, 04:04 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ May 16 2012, 02:46 PM)

Oh, I agree with you - I know that the early stuff is what the majority of fans want, and that the current stuff is pretty weak. When I say 'dated', and what I *think* he's talking about, is simply that the music sounds like it was produced 25-30 years ago, which, of course, it was. It has, IMO, a very "early 80's metal" sound to it... hence, 'dated'.

I know what ya mean . A big prob he has is that he says they are Not Metal or never were Metal. He is as Clueless as they come . I bet he wishes his checks were as "Dated" as that music is laugh.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 16 2012, 02:03 PM)

You know, as much as I love Tate's work, I HATE this outlook on his past work. It irritates the shit out of me.

I remember reading in the liner notes for O:M that Tate had gotten the idea for a concept when he was sitting in a basilica in Montreal or something (I can't remember the exact details). Having actually seen one of those basilicas in Montreal, I can understand how those can inspire. Sometimes it's not about how the record sounds dated. It's about the inspiring material and connection that it can bring for a lot of fans.

It's annoying. I like how he had told the story that he had been inspired by something like that. I know he's probably proud of Mindcrime and he did make a sequel 6 years ago and blah blah. But really, people want to hear inspired material and not songs called 'Got It Bad'.

Ugh... it's frustrating because I even look up to DeGarmo while I learn my guitar playing. He's insanely talented and I want to hear him composing songs again.

Edited by HemispheresserehpsimeH

QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ May 16 2012, 08:11 PM)
I know he's probably proud of Mindcrime and he did make a sequel 6 years ago and blah blah.

You know...that's another thing. I never once bought Tate's speech that he had planned the sequel all along after almost 20 years. Such BS.

O:M II was nothing more than Tate attempting to reel in the fans they had lost by trying to rehash the past.

I'm not trying to bash Tate and Co. either. I would feel the exact same if Rush were to come out with a sequel to 2112 now, and state that this was "the plan all along". That's crap.

I hate the fact that they made the sequel...and honestly, it doesn't work at all. It's nothing like the original. Nothing. Outside of the album covers, there are no similarities to discuss.

Plus, if a sequel was really planned...shouldn't DeGarmo have been involved? Of course...but he knew better anyways. No way Chris wanted anything to do with such a piss-poor attempt at reclaiming the past fame of Ryche.