If you had to choose one possibility..

Gilbertk

What are you most hoping for on Clockwork Angels?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What are you most hoping for on Clockwork Angels?

• Extended songs.. no more songs under 5 minutes.
    • Return of the keyboards!
    • More Alex guitar solos
    • Long jam sections
    • One or two instrumentals
    • Geddy going back to his old style of playing.. less flamenco or none at all
    • Neil really letting lose on the drums and playing like he used to
    • A good story in the Clockwork Angels Suite
    • Lyrics that don't bash religion
    • Lyrics that bash religion
    • New artwork from Hugh Syme
    • The return of Terry Brown, that has somehow been kept a secret so far

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Unobtrusive Companion @ Apr 6 2012, 08:45 AM)
QUOTE (Merely Space @ Apr 6 2012, 02:39 PM)
Where's the "all of the above" choice?

goodpost.gif

In the absence of that option, I went for extended songs. As long as they're good, and not just long, rambling pieces, I'd love an album of 6 or 7 minute songs. We may even see the return of the 10 minute+ song! 1022.gif

long rambling pieces...

you mean like the way the wind blows? tongue.gif

The one thing Im hoping for isnt an option in the poll, something that's been missing since the 80s IMO, more adventurous song writing.

That doesnt necessarily mean longer, but you look at a song like Red Barchetta, it has a good amount of parts and variety, highs and lows, it really feels like a journey musically.

They got away from that and just started writing much simpler songs with standard issue structures and have never gotten back to that kind of writing. That's what I want.

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 6 2012, 09:57 AM)
The one thing Im hoping for isnt an option in the poll, something that's been missing since the 80s IMO, more adventurous song writing.

That doesnt necessarily mean longer, but you look at a song like Red Barchetta, it has a good amount of parts and variety, highs and lows, it really feels like a journey musically.

They got away from that and just started writing much simpler songs with standard issue structures and have never gotten back to that kind of writing. That's what I want.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 6 2012, 11:02 AM)

goodpost.gif

goodpost.gif goodpost.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 6 2012, 02:50 PM)
QUOTE (Unobtrusive Companion @ Apr 6 2012, 08:45 AM)
QUOTE (Merely Space @ Apr 6 2012, 02:39 PM)
Where's the "all of the above" choice?

goodpost.gif

In the absence of that option, I went for extended songs. As long as they're good, and not just long, rambling pieces, I'd love an album of 6 or 7 minute songs. We may even see the return of the 10 minute+ song! 1022.gif

long rambling pieces...

you mean like the way the wind blows? tongue.gif

laugh.gif goodpost.gif

Actually 1,2, 5, 6 & 8! Basically almost all of the above Except the return of Terry Brown, Nick is doing just fine with the boys!

I voted for the first one! However I would like to see the Keyboards back, Neil playing at his MP level, 2 or more instrumentals and Geddy going back to his older bass playing style! This to me would be the return of classic 2.gif !

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Apr 6 2012, 11:28 AM)
Actually 1,2, 5, 6 & 8! Basically almost all of the above Except the return of Terry Brown, Nick is doing just fine with the boys!

I voted for the first one! However I would like to see the Keyboards back, Neil playing at his MP level, 2 or more instrumentals and Geddy going back to his older bass playing style! This to me would be the return of classic 2.gif !

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

i think nick r. is even telling neil how and what to play on the drums. unsure.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 6 2012, 12:38 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Apr 6 2012, 11:28 AM)

I voted for the first one! However I would like to see the Keyboards back, Neil playing at his MP level, 2 or more instrumentals and Geddy going back to his older bass playing style! This to me would be the return of classic  2.gif !

2.gif  1022.gif  2.gif

i think nick r. is even telling neil how and what to play on the drums. unsure.gif

Well according to Neil's blog post a while back, Nick just conducted while Neil improvised so.. I don't think that it's likely that Nick told him exactly what to play, although I'm sure he gave feedback.

I think maybe Rush's goal on this one is to combine all their eras. The complex arrangements of the 70's with the flow of the 80's and the power of recently. At least that's what I'm hoping. I do hope there are at least a couple of songs that feature keys prominently but as long as they keep the arrangements interesting I will be satisfied.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 6 2012, 10:02 AM)

goodpost.gif

+1

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 6 2012, 08:57 AM)

Well from what we've heard these songs are like a journey so I'm hopefully optimistic. I think the CA suite especially is going to kick our arse. 1022.gif

All of the above.

Give me the religion bashing too. At least I'll have something to complain about because for the first few listens I'll be salivating like one of Pavlov's canines.

I want a really good MELODY. Don't care if it's all guitar, or with some keyboards, or whatever. I want to flow with it. I don't want to keep being jerked around by disjointed riffs and lots of bang bang crash. I don't want to hear a song that sounds like it's just a bunch of parts stapled together.

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Apr 6 2012, 11:44 PM)
I want a really good MELODY. Don't care if it's all guitar, or with some keyboards, or whatever. I want to flow with it. I don't want to keep being jerked around by disjointed riffs and lots of bang bang crash. I don't want to hear a song that sounds like it's just a bunch of parts stapled together.

If you are talking about a song like Caravan I totally disagree with you. I love the disjointed verses and jam section offset by the straight ahead catchy melodic chorus. Works great IMO. Those long jams and weird disjointed parts are what we have been missing for Rush for so long. I certaintly don't want more slow tempo straight ahead arrangements a la Snakes And Arrows.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 7 2012, 12:00 AM)
QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Apr 6 2012, 11:44 PM)
I want a really good MELODY.  Don't care if it's all guitar, or with some keyboards, or whatever.  I want to flow with it.  I don't want to keep being jerked around by disjointed riffs and lots of bang bang crash.  I don't want to hear a song that sounds like it's just a bunch of parts stapled together.

If you are talking about a song like Caravan I totally disagree with you. I love the disjointed verses and jam section offset by the straight ahead catchy melodic chorus. Works great IMO. Those long jams and weird disjointed parts are what we have been missing for Rush for so long. I certaintly don't want more slow tempo straight ahead arrangements a la Snakes And Arrows.

Like was said in the documentary, I like to be able to mentally/musically draw a line through the entire song. If I can do that, then the time signature changes are just fine. The disjointed nature of the song is just fine. I can flow with the song and rock with it...... 1022.gif 1022.gif

If the song gets too disjointed, then it starts sounding (to me) like they stapled the parts together, and that can get annoying. To each his own..... smile.gif smile.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 7 2012, 11:41 AM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Apr 7 2012, 05:39 AM)
To sound more like Led Zepellin and less like a lead balloon.

What does a lead balloon sound like?

unsure.gif

Deflated?