The Overrated

Archangel717

QUOTE (Archangel717 @ Mar 28 2012, 09:47 AM)
Black Sabbath

Definately not as good as everyone makes them out to be.

Wrong.

They INVENTED Heavy Metal as we know it. You would be hard pressed to find a metal band who doesn't give props to Sabbath.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 28 2012, 10:11 AM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Mar 28 2012, 07:41 AM)
Drum Magazine has a great article on him and why is was one of the best. Link

Come on Gomp , Drum is like the People of Music magazines laugh.gif They have Travis Barker on the cover every other month rofl3.gif

Understood, but the article does have some good drummers commenting on Bonham. I honestly believe there are few, if any, important drummers who think Bonzo was over-rated though.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Mar 28 2012, 09:55 AM)
Black Sabbath

Wrong.

They INVENTED Heavy Metal as we know it. You would be hard pressed to find a metal band who doesn't give props to Sabbath.

WTF!!!!??

Sabbath is in no way overrated!! If you think they are, promptly return your metal card to ABBA!!

Seriously... wacko.gif

Bonham was a great drummer because of his style which was unmatched during his time and many drummers tried to duplicate him after. He is one of the main reasons for the success of Zep, IMO. He is a heavy grooving drummer who was a master of triplets. Sure he didn't play many odd meters but he had great feel for the music Page was creating. Jones fed off his energy and complimented his style.

Over-rated? Not a chance. He was a trailblazer and without the power he brought to Zep, many bands today wouldn't be what they are.

http://www.drummagazine.com/images/gear/081010-Jonn-Bonham.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^

(this * 1,000,000)

Black Sabbath

z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif

This coming from the person who just posted Death Cab For Cutie and Bowling For Soup in The Underrated thread laugh.gif

Hold on....I need a minute to catch my breath...

OK, i'm better now

z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif

Black Sabbath

This might be the Worst post i have Ever seen cool10.gif

Edited by metaldad

QUOTE (Gompers @ Mar 28 2012, 09:58 AM)

Come on Gomp , Drum is like the People of Music magazines laugh.gif They have Travis Barker on the cover every other month rofl3.gif

Understood, but the article does have some good drummers commenting on Bonham. I honestly believe there are few, if any, important drummers who think Bonzo was over-rated though.

I agree, i don't think Any Known drummers would ever say Bonzo was overrated , that would not be so smart for them . Imagine a singer in a band today saying Halford was Overrated ? He would be shot on sight

Black Sabbath

Wrong.

WRONG you're thinking of Judas Priest.

Heavy metal got it's name from Priest because they wore chains, and studded leather. Heavy metal didn't exist until Priest.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Mar 28 2012, 10:41 AM)
Black Sabbath

This coming from the person who just posted Death Cab For Cutie and Bowling For Soup in The Underrated thread laugh.gif

OK, i'm better now

z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif

Is there something wrong with posting those bands? Where I live, I can name maybe four people, other than me, who know who DCFC and BFS are. Whereas, I can name at least 20 people who essentially worship sabbath.

No arguing Sabbath is influential, but they are by no means the godlike band people treat them as. Also, Ozzy bugs the hell out of me.

QUOTE (Archangel717 @ Mar 28 2012, 11:24 AM)
Black Sabbath

Wrong.

Heavy metal got it's name from Priest because they wore chains, and studded leather. Heavy metal didn't exist until Priest.

rofl3.gif

If anything, Priest turned Metal into a joke with their studded leather chain silliness. I love Priest, and yes they were part of the next evolution in metal, but the roots of all Metal go back to Sabbath, with Zep and Purple as well.

QUOTE (Archangel717 @ Mar 28 2012, 10:47 AM)
Black Sabbath

I actually think a case can be made they're somewhat underrated. Outside of Paranoid, Iron Man, and War Pigs, all from the album Paranoid, I suspect most people can't name anything by them, and can't name any other band member besides Ozzy. Their first 10 albums have some of the best music ever recorded, and, particularly during the Ozzy era, they were so much more than a "metal" band.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 28 2012, 12:12 PM)

I agree, i don't think Any Known drummers would ever say Bonzo was overrated , that would not be so smart for them . Imagine a singer in a band today saying Halford was Overrated ? He would be shot on sight

Well, it is what it is. I actually would think musicians would not offer opinion if they could, which they can, as opposed to insincere kudos or admiration. It is easier to say something to the effect like "I just don't get into that style" or the like.

I don't think Halford is over-rated, but I don't think he is necessarily high rated either. He has a great voice, but based on my exposure, which is more than half the JP library, he isn't one I view as a huge influence. An influence, yes. To the degree Bonham is to drummers? Not so much from my perspective, but I haven't been an avid reader of singer guy type mags. Modern Drummer, I have read since the early 80's. Bonham has been a regular name honored posthumously among his peers. There are certainly a large group of drummers who can play what he played and are technically better than he was.

edit: Being over-rated does not mean the individual or band is bad, either.

Edited by Gompers

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Mar 28 2012, 11:32 AM)
Black Sabbath

Wrong.

rofl3.gif

If anything, Priest turned Metal into a joke with their studded leather chain silliness. I love Priest, and yes they were part of the next evolution in metal, but the roots of all Metal go back to Sabbath, with Zep and Purple as well.

We wouldn't be calling it metal if it weren't for priest. It would still be Hard Rock.

No Black Sabbath No Deep Purple No Heavy Metal

and those are the facts jack.............

QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Mar 28 2012, 11:32 AM)
QUOTE (Archangel717 @ Mar 28 2012, 10:47 AM)
Black Sabbath

I actually think a case can be made they're somewhat underrated. Outside of Paranoid, Iron Man, and War Pigs, all from the album Paranoid, I suspect most people can't name anything by them, and can't name any other band member besides Ozzy. Their first 10 albums have some of the best music ever recorded, and, particularly during the Ozzy era, they were so much more than a "metal" band.

Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of their music. But Paranoid was the only album I could listen to all the way through.

I guess when you've been hearing people tell you how incredible they are since sophomore year of high school, they get kind of overrated in your mind. I actually kinda liked the stuff they came out with after Dio replaced Ozzy... But in my mind, they're just another band from the 70's and 80's.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Mar 28 2012, 11:34 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 28 2012, 12:12 PM)

Well, it is what it is. I actually would think musicians would not offer opinion if they could, which they can, as opposed to insincere kudos or admiration. It is easier to say something to the effect like "I just don't get into that style" or the like.

I don't think Halford is over-rated, but I don't think he is necessarily high rated either. He has a great voice, but based on my exposure, which is more than half the JP library, he isn't one I view as a huge influence. An influence, yes. To the degree Bonham is to drummers? Not so much from my perspective, but I haven't been an avid reader of singer guy type mags. Modern Drummer, I have read since the early 80's. Bonham has been a regular name honored posthumously among his peers. There are certainly a large group of drummers who can play what he played and are technically better than he was.

edit: Being over-rated does not mean the individual or band is bad, either.

It's all good trink39.gif just IMO anyway

Edited by metaldad

QUOTE (Archangel717 @ Mar 28 2012, 11:35 AM)
Black Sabbath

Wrong.

rofl3.gif

We wouldn't be calling it metal if it weren't for priest. It would still be Hard Rock.

Priest gained more mainstream media exposure and overall popularity in the 80s , but then again, some people referred to to bands like def leppard as metal in the 80s...my point is that the actuall riffs iommi wrote , and the dark image of the band , set the tone for everyone else, including Priest.

OK, here's a prime example of not having to like a band to appreciate them. I dislike Judas Priest immensely, yet I'm not going to call them overrated. For what they are, they are properly rated (take that any way you like wink.gif )

QUOTE (tjtull @ Mar 28 2012, 12:35 PM)
OK, here's a prime example of not having to like a band to appreciate them. I dislike Judas Priest immensely, yet I'm not going to call them overrated. For what they are, they are properly rated (take that any way you like wink.gif )

I feel the same way about Prince. I don't care for his music at all. But there is no denying that the dude is creative and pretty talented.

Just because you don't care for an artist/group doesn't make them overrated. wacko.gif

QUOTE (Archangel717 @ Mar 28 2012, 11:29 AM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Mar 28 2012, 10:41 AM)
Black Sabbath

OK, i'm better now

Is there something wrong with posting those bands? Where I live, I can name maybe four people, other than me, who know who DCFC and BFS are. Whereas, I can name at least 20 people who essentially worship sabbath.

No arguing Sabbath is influential, but they are by no means the godlike band people treat them as. Also, Ozzy bugs the hell out of me.

facepalm.gif

Listen to the music that was out back in 1970, and then listen to what Black Sabbath was doing. They blazed a path that so many musicians have gone down. Very few bands have done as much as Black Sabbath has to shape where Rock & Roll is today.

I suppose next you're going to tell us that Elvis was overrated. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Archangel717 @ Mar 28 2012, 11:35 AM)
Black Sabbath

Wrong.

rofl3.gif

Who cares if it's called "metal" because of Judas Priest? Metal today probably wouldn't exist in it's current form without Black Sabbath. Sabbath had been making records for almost four years before Priest put out an album, so I don't know how you can say that Priest was more influential that Sabbath.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Mar 26 2012, 11:10 PM)
It pains me to say this, but I think The Who are hyped up way too much. They had, IMO, 2 great albums, Whos Next and Quadrephenia...I think Tommy is overrated..good , but not great. I get their historical significance , but I just don't think their actual output justifies all the praise.

I feel the same way towards Tommy. I prefer the insanely underrated Who By Numbers over that. #s is my 2nd favorite by The Who behind Quad.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Mar 27 2012, 07:25 AM)
Dave Matthews Band - seriously, someone explain their appeal to me confused13.gif

Nirvana - Get too much credit for ushering the new musical sound in the early 90s. People seem to forget that Soundgarden, Pearl Jam and Alice In Chains were right there with them making a huge impact on the modern hard rock scene. And oh yeah, all three of those bands material crushes Nirvana's stuff.

I'm know there's more but those two have topped my list for many years now.

I'd add Smashing Pumpkins along with those "better than Nirvana" bands. Nevermind is just decent no more or less. In Utero is way better for it's raw sound.

Besides, The Pixies did what Nirvana did before and were better at it.