Neil Taking Center Stage: Time Stand Still

Digitallware

QUOTE (Digitallware @ Mar 14 2012, 11:46 PM)
LINK

Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

trink39.gif

But I have to say, that is obviously not Neil. Neil must have a body double like Saddam Hussein because I just don't buy that Neil would share stuff like this with the fans. It's a well known fact that he hates all fans and doesn't like to give anything to us! Especially showing drummers his secrets. Neil HATES the fans and there is no way he would agree to be interviewed and share insights into drumming. I also don't believe Neil writes those posts on his "blog" or his "books". The Neil I know just doesn't care enough about the fans to do those kinds of things. tongue.gif wink.gif laugh.gif

Genesis had to slow that down....?

Wow....hello work on chops much? That figure is not difficult....just a semi fast herta fill.

Neil Sucks

QUOTE (New Digital Man @ Mar 15 2012, 02:12 PM)
I'm not sure about that story, Phil Collins was actually a pretty decent drummer and is highly regrded in the drum world

True. Until he Took over the band and sold his soul to Disney .

QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 15 2012, 02:13 PM)
I'm not sure about that story, Phil Collins was actually a pretty decent drummer and is highly regrded in the drum world

Yes have to agree, and don't mention the solo career! Listening to that link above Neil doesn't sound that certain to me that it was Genesis anyway!

QUOTE (New Digital Man @ Mar 15 2012, 02:16 PM)

Yes have to agree, and don't mention the solo career! Listening to that link above Neil doesn't sound that certain to me that it was Genesis anyway!

No, i Never mention the Solo career 062802puke_prv.gif

Brand X Phil=Great....

"in the Air Tonight" Phil= more well known but sliding...

"Invisible touch"= gag cough blech.....

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Mar 15 2012, 03:12 PM)
I don't buy that Phil Collins story. Phil was a beast back then, and could do a simple 32nd note triplet across the toms

Well, there WERE three drummers in Genesis before Phil Collins - and he did say "old" Genesis records.

I think they only recorded with two of the three though.....

Clem

Phil was a very good drummer and was able to play that full speed. My guess is maybe they had him play it slower for the song originally, then decided to speed it up but didnt rerecord it.

So it wasnt done because he couldnt perform it. Either Neil isnt aware of that, or he's just trying to make himself look like he's doing something that a lot of drummers cant do, which is not true at all.

Thing about Phil, is that he can't play anymore. Physically, there's something wrong with him; i don't know what it is, but he's through touring.

Chester Thompson was the thunder behind Genensis live for more than twenty years, though Phil is still a great drummer.

The fact that Neil is still playing at his peak is a blessing in itself.

--Kent

Yeah, I heard that or saw it somewhere as well. It's really unfortunate; I never saw him in concert.

Phil is a rare artist who seems to be able to play just about any instrument at a high enough level and and with enough passion to convey both imagery and musicality.

QUOTE (Kent @ Mar 16 2012, 10:07 AM)
Thing about Phil, is that he can't play anymore. Physically, there's something wrong with him; i don't know what it is, but he's through touring.

Chester Thompson was the thunder behind Genensis live for more than twenty years, though Phil is still a great drummer.

The fact that Neil is still playing at his peak is a blessing in itself.

--Kent

Sadly, he has a lot of issues.

1) he has spinal problems from sitting on a drum stool all these years.

2) he has hand problems. On his last solo record, he literally had to tape the drum sticks to his hands.

3) he also went deaf in one ear - although that might have been temporary.

I've seen Phil live as a solo artist and with Genesis - and he used to put on a phenomenal show! He used to play almost three hours with no break. Maybe that's why he has all of these ailments now? sad, if it were the case.

Like most here, I like the older stuff better - but I did really like his first two solo records. I still like his newer stuff - just not from a "drumming" perspective.

Clem

You may as well move this topic to MOTS, because there are more posts about Phil and Genesis than there are about Neil/Rush.

ranton.gif

For the love of Christ, I would be bloody amazed if I read something about Genesis in this forum and the conversation DIDN'T turn into some statement on Phil/Genesis "selling out" or what-have-you. I love and respect EVERY single era of Genesis and Phil's careers even if I prefer some to others. Phil wasn't even the primary songwriter in Genesis (and neither was Peter for that matter in case someone wants to go there), so to expect Phil to go solo AND maintain the Genesis sound is ridiculous--he wrote the songs that HE enjoyed and HE was passionate about. If he wanted to write Genesis songs, he would make an album with Genesis. He created very memorable, very well crafted (no matter how popular a song is, it can still be a good one, believe it or not) songs in every stage of his career. I'm just sorry that everyone has to see Phil's career and Genesis' career as one single entity and judge one based on the other as well as hold people to outdated and unreasonable standards of music.

rantoff.gif